College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As pointless as arguing adidas is with you, I'll bite:

Nike did gloves in color as soon as the college rules allowed and in the NFL long before that.

Nike did neon-trim basketball uniforms before adidas' all-neon uniforms this year. Distinction without a difference IMO.

And Nike beat adidas with the tiger-camo stuff, too.

FF_735548ALT1_xl.jpg

1. I'm talking about the 'palm salute' gloves in particular. Everybody's done gloves in color for decades, adidas was the first to do the 'palm salute' gloves in color as Nike's first batch of those were in greyscale.

2. Neon trim and full-on neon is, in fact, a difference, no matter how you slice it. Nike wasn't the first to do neon, trim or otherwise. Neither was adidas. It's a trend, like any other design element, that was born 5+ years ago in the fashion world. Nike took one approach adapting it to sports, choosing to outfit teams in uniforms with neon trim. adidas took another approach, choosing to create outfits in bolder, full-scale neon fabrics. There are differing opinions as to which approach is better, but it's not a case of adidas aping Nike. That would be like saying Nike is aping whatever team first added grey trim to their uniform as a non-school color accent by coming out with grey uniforms.

3. That's not a tiger-stripe pattern, but it does look similar at a glance, so I'll give you that one.

This wass the first year college gloves could have color. Oregon wore Nike gloves with color palms in their 2011 spring game. Which adidas gloves were in color before that?

I'll be stunned if that SEC circle is on the actual jerseys instead of the standard flag patch.

I wouldn't. Seems to me like conference are moving to their own conference logos as patches instead of the standardized NCAA pennant. The SEC is all about branding itself. This would be another step and a logical time to make the switch.

I've worked at an SEC school for 11 years and know a lot of people in the conference office. I'd be stunned.

So...um....are you stunned? (bow)

Yes, and already said that in an earlier post in this thread. Read back before gloating.

Ohio State wears a B10 decal on the front of there helmets

Same with Wisconsin

Indeed:

6dfcd4e249548e46e76a20d192eab958-getty-136346050.jpg

136337158_display_image.jpg?1326223571

So does Northwestern:

Mike+Trumpy+Northwestern+v+Boston+College+YjLnvAK_LWsl.jpg

And Purdue:

132465540_extra_large.jpg

Oklahoma wears a Big 12 decal on the back of their helmets, I just noticed. Wouldn't be surprised if other teams did this as well.

128790840_crop_650x440.jpg?1322694106

This was in the Denver Post today yesterday.

Posted April 17, 2012, 8:10 am MT

Changes in store for 2012 CU football uniforms?

BOULDER ? Apparently not.

Speaking to reporters Monday, Colorado coach Jon Embree said the Buffs' 2012 uniforms will look like the 2011 unis, which honored the 1990 national championship teams.

As for 2013, that's a different story.

"Nike is working on some things (for 2013)," Embree said.

Ernie_Facepalm1.jpg

So, after many years of wearing badly mismatched crap, Colorado returned to the 1990 set, to the acclaim of pretty much everyone except the ultra-modern crowd. They *looked* like Colorado again for all of about 3 games, after which they started wearing monochrome and black helmets and such. Now comes word they will be abandoning their current uniforms after just two years. Sigh.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This was in the Denver Post today yesterday.

Posted April 17, 2012, 8:10 am MT

Changes in store for 2012 CU football uniforms?

BOULDER ? Apparently not.

Speaking to reporters Monday, Colorado coach Jon Embree said the Buffs' 2012 uniforms will look like the 2011 unis, which honored the 1990 national championship teams.

As for 2013, that's a different story.

"Nike is working on some things (for 2013)," Embree said.

Ernie_Facepalm1.jpg

So, after many years of wearing badly mismatched crap, Colorado returned to the 1990 set, to the acclaim of pretty much everyone except the ultra-modern crowd. They *looked* like Colorado again for all of about 3 games, after which they started wearing monochrome and black helmets and such. Now comes word they will be abandoning their current uniforms after just two years. Sigh.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why can't some of the teams who aren't blue bloods like Bama and Ohio State just say no to Nike and Adidas?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Oklahoma wears a Big 12 decal on the back of their helmets, I just noticed. Wouldn't be surprised if other teams did this as well.

128790840_crop_650x440.jpg?1322694106

Texas A&M used to wear the pennant on the front of their jerseys when they wore Nike.

J-Train.jpg

They then went with the helmet decal when they went to Adidas

628x471.jpg

Nike made palm logo gloves in grey, then because of a rule change adidas made them in color, that's not copying?

It was a tongue in cheek joke. Because of the rule change, yes, adidas was the first to do palm salute gloves in color. Variations on a single idea: welcome to the world of design.

GDU: I saw protos of the Notre Dame gloves before the Oregon ones, but Oregon's spring game was probably the first in-game usage of palm saluters in full color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Nike made palm logo gloves in grey, then because of a rule change adidas made them in color, that's not copying?

It was a tongue in cheek joke. Because of the rule change, yes, adidas was the first to do palm salute gloves in color. Variations on a single idea: welcome to the world of design.

GDU: I saw protos of the Notre Dame gloves before the Oregon ones, but Oregon's spring game was probably the first in-game usage of palm saluters in full color.

You haven't given any proof of that, other than saying you saw them first.

This article mentions them appearing in late June. Oregon wore theirs in April IIRC.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/notre-dame-nebraska-break-tradition-with-new-glove-designs?urn=ncaaf,wp2900

You haven't given any proof of that, other than saying you saw them first.

This article mentions them appearing in late June. Oregon wore theirs in April IIRC.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/notre-dame-nebraska-break-tradition-with-new-glove-designs?urn=ncaaf,wp2900

That's what I mean. Clearly I was wrong, and it was a lighthearted joke to begin with, as in, 'they might have stolen the idea, but they were the first to do it in color...'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

J-Train.jpg

Totally, utterly, and completely off topic...but that boy is entirely TOO DAMN BIG to be wearing a little number like #11.

Kinda reminds me of Pooh Bear Williams, though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

a bunch of images of B1G teams

Technically the B1G logo is on the nose bumper rather than an actual decal.

I quite like that as a place if they have to have a conference 'stamp' somewhere on the unis, it's subtle & not visually cluttering like sticking a big patch on the front tends to be

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

a bunch of images of B1G teams

Technically the B1G logo is on the nose bumper rather than an actual decal.

I quite like that as a place if they have to have a conference 'stamp' somewhere on the unis, it's subtle & not visually cluttering like sticking a big patch on the front tends to be

it's a decal on the nose bumper

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

I agree. That placement is nice.

My issue with conference patches is that they tend to just add more clutter to the team's uniforms. Most fields have the conference logo on the fields/around the stadium. Is it necessary to have it on the uniform too? What if the NFL did this with the divisions? It'd look pretty silly.

The Iowa Hawkeyes will wear throwbacks against Iowa State:

http://qctimes.com/sports/basketball/college/big-10/iowa/article_c8e729a8-8b37-11e1-8e6c-001a4bcf887a.html

Not a great look at them yet, but sounds like the gold helmets will return. Third time Iowa football has worn throwbacks.

I wish Iowa State would do a throwback to its 1980 uniforms. Awful teams, but pretty sweet unis.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived