2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Stop me if you've heard this before, a team from Washington with the best record in the league and losing early in the playoffs...

At least that doesn't happen to the Redskins, though.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night didn't happen, right?

For me, the "Oh :censored:" moment occurred after the Nationals were up 3-0 in the first inning. There was simply too much baseball left to be played, even a 6-0 lead wasn't safe.

It was a fantastic atmosphere early on, however, once the Cards got that first run, there was just something mind-numbing occurring throughout the stadium. I could hear people around me talk with more concern and reservation in their voices as the Cards kept inching closer. After the Nats scored their seventh, and final run, I heard someone say that, "the Nats need 10 runs to win", which proved almost prophetic as the latter stages of the game unfolded. There will be a plethora of questions to ask in the offseason, but right now my mind is still processing the events from last night.

I couldn't tell from where I was sitting in the nosebleed seats down the third-base side, but it appeared that the Home Plate Umpire was inconsistent in his Balls-Strikes calls for the Nats and the Cards. Regardless of the calls, the Nats' pitchers playoff inexperience was the main factor contributing to the unraveling from the fifth inning until the end of the game and eventually, the series.

The dream of a "Beltway World Series" ended a half-hour past midnight.

Although I'm shocked and disappointed in the series outcome, I am grateful to have witnessed a lot of franchise milestones for the Nats organization this year such as: clinching a winning record, having a 20+ game winner on the pitching staff, winning the National League Eastern Division for the first time, having MLB's best regular season record, first baseball playoffs series in DC since 1933 in which they competed in a tight NLDS (even though I acknowledged that the Nats were over-matched, I still held out hope they could win this series and advance), and also making Nats baseball relevant in and around the DC Area; none of which I thought would happen this soon!

Thank you Nationals for an unexpectedly good and entertaining season. The building blocks are in place to get to the next level. I look forward to the 2013 season already.

I feel that like so many other things that are terrible about sports, the BFIB didn't become the self-feeding beast it is now until the internet. I saw a billboard for FSN on the way into town that said "You're the Best Fans In Baseball" and I wanted to piss in a bottle so I could throw it at it. It can't be enough for St. Louis to have intelligent and passionate baseball fans (which by all means they absolutely do), but now they have to be the fairest and the smartest and the mostest bestest in the whole wide world. Good God, y'all, you're the same dopey midwesterners blitzed on marked-up domestic beer as the ones in Chicago and Milwaukee. You just color-coordinate better.

Fair points...

According to the internet:

Bill Gates will give me $1000 dollars for forwarding an email.

Some Nigerian King wants me to hold his money for him.

Bob Denver just died...for the second time in seven years.

And a lot of women believe I look just like John Cusack and I have a big bank account.

*My point being that folks on internets tend to exaggerate reality just a bit. We're all amped up versions of ourselves out here. As a result, fat guy with low self esteem Cardinals fan #1 meets fat guy with low self esteem Cardinals fan #2 on a message board and voila; they become the best fans ever. That's gotta be how it started, right?

*EDIT: I'm not sure what my point was. But the fat guys thing was pretty good, right?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Joe Buck & Tim McCarver are waiting & smiling.

Oh crap that's right... We have to sit through another McCarver/Buck/Cardinals playoff series... Lord help us all.

Buzzkill. Look at the bright side, we'll have all sorts of material for the show. That's something, I guess.

Ernie Johnson, Cal Ripken Jr., and John Smoltz vs. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver

This might be the worst announcing tandem in LCS history.

I never thought I would say this, but I'm actually looking forward to FOX after the godawful TBS announcers for four series.

Why can't ESPN buy at least one portion of the playoff coverage?

Anywho, my avatar says it all. This is the most disappointing playoffs I can remember.

spacer.png

I am so happy this happened to Bryce Harper.

The only way I'm ever feeling bad for that egotistical douchelord is if the Nats shelve him midstream like they did Strasburg. Nobody deserves that crap.

6uXNWAo.png

Brian Anderson is a very solid play-by-play voice. Don Orsillo and Dick Stockton don't completely irritate me.

Ernie Johnson is a total fish out of water. He belongs in the studio, not the booth. And he certainly shouldn't be the lead announcer, with one of the worst analysts in baseball today at his wing, with John Smoltz. I'll cut Cal a break, because it's TBS's fault for putting Mr. Oriole on an Orioles playoff series.

I gotta wonder what BA thinks of all of this. He's been with TBS since they got their national deal, and he's seen Chip Caray and Ernie Johnson get the top assignments, except for when EJ's son had that illness last year (or whatever the hell it was). Gotta be irritating, because he's a much better announcer than either of those two.

spacer.png

Some stats to chew on:

The Yankees have scored 16 runs in 57 playoff innings. That's 2.53 R/G.

They have one multi-run inning: the 9th inning of Game 1 vs. Baltimore. Exclude that random five-run outburst, and that number dips to 1.77 R/G. That's right, less than two runs a game.

At Yankee Stadium, they have scored 7 runs in...wait for it...39.1 innings! 1.6 runs per game at the Bronx! A team that hit 245 home runs, and they're averaging less than two runs a game at a hitters ballpark that they call their own!

Best lineup money can buy.

spacer.png

Archived