2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

If anything, the NHL should adopt what the NBA does in the sense that division winners could still be seeded 1-3, but the team with the higher points total in a playoff matchup gets home-ice, regardless.

Off the top of my head, the 2008 Caps/Flyers series was one where the #6 team (PHI) had more points than the #3 division winner. And I'm sure it's happened since then as well. Odds are, the SE division winner this year is going to totally suck, and really won't deserve home ice over the #6 seeded team.

Fact of the matter is that the SE division has had this problem most of its existence. There has been a couple instances where, if placed on points alone, the SE winner would have seeded 8th, and I need to double check but once where they finished 9th. Also -as a point of note- the SE has never put three teams into the playoffs in any given season.

There's never been a season under the current setup where a division winner would have been 9th or lower.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, the NHL should adopt what the NBA does in the sense that division winners could still be seeded 1-3, but the team with the higher points total in a playoff matchup gets home-ice, regardless.

Off the top of my head, the 2008 Caps/Flyers series was one where the #6 team (PHI) had more points than the #3 division winner. And I'm sure it's happened since then as well. Odds are, the SE division winner this year is going to totally suck, and really won't deserve home ice over the #6 seeded team.

Fact of the matter is that the SE division has had this problem most of its existence. There has been a couple instances where, if placed on points alone, the SE winner would have seeded 8th, and I need to double check but once where they finished 9th. Also -as a point of note- the SE has never put three teams into the playoffs in any given season.

Well, yes. The division has largely operated on a rotating basis as far as who was the best, and the rest.

Carolina dominated (and I use that term loosely) in the late 90's-early 00's and 2006

Tampa Bay dominated from 2003-2007 (with 1 Presidents Cup and Stanley Cup)

Washington has dominated since then (with 1 Presidents Cup - and a 1st round exit against MTL subsequently)

Atlanta always sucked, and Florida hasn't made the playoffs since 2000. I can't even remember when they were the best this sorry division had to offer. And, really, only in 2009 and 2011 did the division seem to have two legitimately good teams in recent years.

spacer.png

I'm really glad the Islanders are playing to their "improvement with youth even though a playoff berth's a year away" potential that they were supposed to have from the beginning of the season. Well, I guess as long as Tavares and Moulson keep things up everyone else will tag along by the end and help them out come October next time :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Hawks about to lose to a system team. That's pretty shameful.

You think this is it as we know it for Crawford?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So now both Toews and Sharp are out. That's just awesome.

Thank God the All Star Break is coming up.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What's the word on Toews? I haven't heard anything since this morning and all I've heard is he's day-to-day.

He took a stick to the hand vs. Florida but came back to finish the game. I'm sure that's something to do with it but thankfully the ambiguity of NHL injury reports keeps everybody in the dark.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So tired of Bryzgalov's bullsh**. Came back from 3-1 down against Boston w/ 8 rookies in the lineup and he still blows another 3rd period lead and 2 shots in the shootout

Hartnell had a hat trick in the 2nd period of that game. It's a joke that he wasn't invited to the All-Star game

Can't find the link just yet, but I got an ESPN update on my phone.

It's officially official. 2013 Winter Classic - Red Wings vs Maple Leafs at the Big House in Ann Arbor.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

A Pennsylvania team isn't involved in the Winter Classic? START A RIOT!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Can't find the link just yet, but I got an ESPN update on my phone.

It's officially official. 2013 Winter Classic - Red Wings vs Maple Leafs at the Big House in Ann Arbor.

(slightly joking)I would be interested where the zamboni/ice cleaning machine will be parked.(/joking)

I haven't seen the hit Alex Ovechkin gave to Milan Zbynek Michalek, but hearing that it definitely deserves a suspension.

He left his feet, hit his head. Although Michalek was ducking down it was still pretty bad. Yeah, he'll probably get something.

I dont normally fix that for people, but they are different guys (brothers I think) lol.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

What started off as a rather slow moving game between the Ducks and Avs turned out to be crazy in the third period. Anaheim held on for the 3-2 win and extended their points streak to nine games :D

Still 11 points out from a playoff spot, but the Ducks also still have the extra games in hand - unusual since in recent years they've been ahead of everyone else in terms of games played.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

What started off as a rather slow moving game between the Ducks and Avs turned out to be crazy in the third period. Anaheim held on for the 3-2 win and extended their points streak to nine games :D

Still 11 points out from a playoff spot, but the Ducks also still have the extra games in hand - unusual since in recent years they've been ahead of everyone else in terms of games played.

5 in a row. 6 in a row at home. 8 of 9. 7 points from the jumble. 35 games left... It is wholly and entirely possible. I have no idea how, but it is.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I haven't seen the hit Alex Ovechkin gave to Milan Zbynek Michalek, but hearing that it definitely deserves a suspension.

He left his feet, hit his head. Although Michalek was ducking down it was still pretty bad. Yeah, he'll probably get something.

I dont normally fix that for people, but they are different guys (brothers I think) lol.

Thanks.

No, I was just talking about the Sens to my brother and had Milan in my head.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived