Clippers curse strikes again?

dbadefense1990

So Chauncey Billups, the Los Angeles Clippers veteran who's done it all and is ready to help lead the Clips to the promised land...is now out for the rest of the season with a destroyed left Achillies tendon:

My link

So I wanna know one thing: how cursed are the Los Angeles Clippers? Thoughts anyone...

There's no curse. Having poor management and ownership usually leads to a poor record. Nothing supernatural there. It's just now that Sterling's finally been convinced to care.

There was always a chance an older guy like Billups could have gone down, but it shouldn't be the end of the Clippers' season. People were saying that they were too guard-heavy to begin with, it's like they had a built-in solution.

There's no curse with the Clippers.

They are owned by Donald Sterling. That supersedes any act from the great beyond that may effect the outcome of wins or loses. If your owned by Donald Sterling consider yourself lucky if you win at all. They second any Clipper becomes a free agent, that's generally it. You just get the hell out of there as fast as you can.

We'll see how long this current run lasts. No other team in the NBA would I still be worried about being in the cellar within three years with this type of young talent but the Clippers. I still think its a legitimate possibility Donald Sterling will find a way to screw this up. I could see him trying to justify Blake Griffin not deserving a max contract and letting him walk when his contract is up after next year. He's done and said dumber things.

Look around the NBA teams are being hit with injuries everywhere, I think the lockout and lack of a full pre-season and training camp is catching up to everyone.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They are owned by Donald Sterling.

You say they aren't cursed only to follow it up with definitive proof that they are cursed. B)

The Clippers aren't cursed; they're an inept, sucky franchise.

They are owned by Donald Sterling.

You say they aren't cursed only to follow it up with definitive proof that they are cursed. B)

The Clippers aren't cursed; they're an inept, sucky franchise.

Right, because I was dead serious about them actually being cursed. :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

Sterling's been a bad owner for sure, but he's not the only bad owner in the league, not by a long shot. IMO, a smart general manager is FAR more important than a non-controversial owner... someone who makes big-time deals, who drafts smartly, who makes good signings, and doesn't mortgage the future for a short-term reactionary move. Neil Olshey appears to be one of those guys. Otis Smith, not so much. That's why the Clippers are on the rise while the Magic are on the decline.

And by all accounts, Sterling has ceded the decision-making power to Olshey. He's agreed to take on the financial risks involved in building a winner once Olshey convinces him that the moves are worth making. Still not a good owner, but the situation could be a LOT worse. This isn't the old '80s/'90s Clippers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah, but they've had numerous players blow out knees and such.

1983 - After getting traded to the Clippers in 1983 (for the draft rights to Byron Scott), former Lakers star Norm Nixon had a couple productve years for the Clippers. Then he blew out his knee during a softball game, then ruptured his Achilles tendon a little more than a year later. He missed more than two entire seasons for the Clips.

Oct 1988 - As the 1989-90 season opened. The pieces were in place for this to be a very good team in the years to come. Danny Manning was due back from last season?s knee injury in the first month of the season

Feb 2007 - Shaun Livingston suffered a debilitating knee injury, dislocating his left kneecap after landing awkwardly following a missed layup, resulting in the left leg snapping laterally.

Even current superstar Griffin wasn't totally exempt from the Clippers' curse as he missed his entire first season in the league with a knee injury after being selected No. 1 overall.

Oct 2011 - Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe underwent surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee on October 7th

That's not poor management. Bad luck I suppose.

sig-1.png

Yeah, but they've had numerous players blow out knees and such.

1983 - After getting traded to the Clippers in 1983 (for the draft rights to Byron Scott), former Lakers star Norm Nixon had a couple productve years for the Clippers. Then he blew out his knee during a softball game, then ruptured his Achilles tendon a little more than a year later. He missed more than two entire seasons for the Clips.

Oct 1988 - As the 1989-90 season opened. The pieces were in place for this to be a very good team in the years to come. Danny Manning was due back from last season's knee injury in the first month of the season

Feb 2007 - Shaun Livingston suffered a debilitating knee injury, dislocating his left kneecap after landing awkwardly following a missed layup, resulting in the left leg snapping laterally.

Even current superstar Griffin wasn't totally exempt from the Clippers' curse as he missed his entire first season in the league with a knee injury after being selected No. 1 overall.

Oct 2011 - Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe underwent surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee on October 7th

That's not poor management. Bad luck I suppose.

Then explain Benoit Benjamin, Danny Ferry, Terry Dehere, Lamond Murray, Lorenzen Wright, and Michael Olowokandi.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Just to do a little more research into the "curse," here's what the Clippers drafted in the first round just from '95 to '99.

'95 - Antonio McDyess traded for Brent Barry

'96 - Lorenzen Wright

'97 - Maurice Taylor

'98 - Michael Olowokandi

'99 - Lamar Odom

Guys they passed on? Well, their lineup could have looked like this:

'95 - Kevin Garnett

'96 - Kobe Bryant

'97 - Bobby Jackson

'98 - Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, or Vince Carter

'99 - Shawn Marion

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

There was a recent Sports Illustrated article about the Clippers that detailed some of their "bad luck" even before Donald Sterling came into picture. One instance was when former commissioner Larry O'Brien (with help from his next-in-waiting, David Stern) just automatically declared three players from the '78-79 team free agents (Randy Smith, Kermit Washington, and Kevin Shumpert) just after the team signed Bill Walton, as some form of compensation. Walton's injuries, along with what O'Brien and Stern engineered, jump-started the Clippers' ride through futility in the proceeding years since. No doubt that Sterling's lack of committment (among other things) added fuel to the fire, but the Clippers finally have a compentent general manager running the show, after Mike Dunleavy's failed run, and the laziness and complancency of Elgin Baylor.

I don't think the loss of Billups is part of the curse... but in the next 2-4 years when one of Blake Griffin's knees explodes because he goes up too high, too hard, and too strong without knowing how to land properly... then I'll say the curse continues.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

There was a recent Sports Illustrated article about the Clippers that detailed some of their "bad luck" even before Donald Sterling came into picture. One instance was when former commissioner Larry O'Brien (with help from his next-in-waiting, David Stern) just automatically declared three players from the '78-79 team free agents (Randy Smith, Kermit Washington, and Kevin Shumpert) just after the team signed Bill Walton, as some form of compensation;

Praise Ralph Sampson. Seriously, praise the man and if you don't know why, start reading.

Archived