Most underrated NHL rivalry?

johnnysama

There are many rivalries out there in the NHL. Some are bigger than others, but I'm here to talk about your favorite ones that seem 'under-the-radar'. Let's talk about them here.

My top 'under-the-radar' rivalry is Vancouver/Los Angeles. The two teams have so much in common, and here's a little-known fact: Did you that Vancouver and Los Angeles are sister cities? Every Canuck/King game is always an exciting one, filled with action and energy, I feel. Never a dull moment at either Rogers or Staples when these two play... :D

UBwef0L.png

Not sure if Devils-Rangers is underrated or not... I don't think it gets as much press or airtime as PIT/WAS, BOS/VAN, BOS/MTL, but I think it's one those generally accepted rivalries, where you basically know there's gonna be fights, nastiness, anger, and usually a great game.

I happen to think the Devils are the Rags biggest rival, even moreso than Philly or the Islanders, whos 25 years of irrelevance has destroyed what was one of the classic rivalries in sports...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Edmonton - Calgary has lost it's steam with the Oilers sucking so bad in recent decades......

but those games are just as intense and hard fought as they were when it was McSorley vs Loob (or ya know, any of those other headline guys you may have heard of).

sig-1.png

I miss the Avs-Wings rivalry. That was the best of the 90s and early 00s. Too bad the Avs fizzled out after the Roy, Sakic, Forsberg era.

Now I'd have to say Boston-Montreal or Philly-Pitt. Chicago-Vancouver is a good one as well.

Edit: I guess those aren't really underrated, but Columbus-Nashville is pretty intense. Those two teams clearly don't like each other and it makes for a hell of a show being a fan of both teams.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Not sure if Devils-Rangers is underrated or not... I don't think it gets as much press or airtime as PIT/WAS, BOS/VAN, BOS/MTL, but I think it's one those generally accepted rivalries, where you basically know there's gonna be fights, nastiness, anger, and usually a great game.

I happen to think the Devils are the Rags biggest rival, even moreso than Philly or the Islanders, whos 25 years of irrelevance has destroyed what was one of the classic rivalries in sports...

It is nationally, since nobody cares outside of Metro NYC. But yeah, it's big. Because the Isles have been so awful the past 20 years (and yes, the Rangers were horrendus for 8 straight years from the late 90's to the lockout) the Devils are bigger games. Of course the Islanders are still numero uno, but the gap isn't what it once was.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Edmonton - Calgary has lost it's steam with the Oilers sucking so bad in recent decades......

but those games are just as intense and hard fought as they were when it was McSorley vs Loob (or ya know, any of those other headline guys you may have heard of).

I'll agree. And the way that the Flames have taken over this rivalry is just crazy. Something like 17 of the last 19 and 9 of the last 10.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Blackhawks/Red Wings and Blackhawks/Canucks are great rivalries and get their due. I think Blackhawks/Blues might be underrated though. Living in St. Louis now, Blues fans are really, really into the rivalry. They do not like the Blackhawks, or the large number of Chicagoans that come down here for games.

I'd say with all the hoopla with the Caps & Pens,my underrated rivalry is the Caps & Lightning. Especially with Stamkos being the up & comer & Roli's record against us & it gets ugly when the two teams play each other.

Tampa is the only team in the Southeast that I actually hate. I dont know if their fans feel the same way but I know the teams dont like each other.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Preds/Blues has built up some steam. A lot of Blues fans travel to Nashville for the games since it's only 5 hours. Wouldn't say it's most underrated though.

I also feel like Pens/Caps is a manufactured rivalry by the GDNHL and when Crosby and/or Oveckin are gone it will fizzle quick.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Preds/Blues has built up some steam. A lot of Blues fans travel to Nashville for the games since it's only 5 hours. Wouldn't say it's most underrated though.

I also feel like Pens/Caps is a manufactured rivalry by the GDNHL and when Crosby and/or Oveckin are gone it will fizzle quick.

I don't know about that. The Caps and Pens met in the playoffs nearly every year in the 90s. Then Jagr "dying alive" in Pittsburgh was traded to the Caps. It was amped up by Ovi and Crosby, but it existed before that.

I remember the North Stars had quite a rivalry with the original Jets...that's why I'm hoping the NHLPA quits its :censored:ing and allows realignment to go through-I think given a chance, a Wild-Jets rivalry would be the most exciting in the NHL!

bYhYmxh.png

Archived