Is anyone else tired of hearing the New York "football" Giants?

jakemon08

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/02/congrats-giants-fans-now-piss-off-and-die.html

When a team that KSK collectively loathes makes it to the Super Bowl, we can get a little carried away with rooting for their opponent. This might lead some to believe that we objectively approve of a slapdick team like the Giants. We do not. We hate everyone. Just some a little more than others. The Giants are goddamn annoying, but only slightly less annoying than the Patriots. Given a little more sustained success and the attending sense of entitlement, who knows? The gap isn?t as wide as it used to be.

We?re glad the Giants were able to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl in a fashion somewhat similar to the way they did four years ago. But if it weren?t you, it would have just been the Niners or the Packers. Expedience doesn?t excuse the fact that you?re mostly Yankees fans and denizens of Durrty Jerzz. Despite your constant protestations, you?re just as trashy as Jets fans, so stop putting on airs, you dicks.

Stop calling your team the New York Football Giants. The baseball team left more than 50 years ago. There?s no confusion. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

Yeah, I know, all us other fan bases are super jealous that your team won the title and that they made the incredible run twice in five years. It?s true. So we?re gonna take extra satisfaction when your team hopefully follows up this title like they did the last time, by running roughshod through the NFC, getting the top seed, then :censored:ting the bed against the rival Eagles in the playoffs. Make us another crying Giants fan.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

there has been no need to call them that for over 50 years... why is it still a thing?

Because it's a way for disgrunted Baby Boomers to nag on to younger fans, on how their beloved baseball teams (Dodgers and Giants) were stolen from them by us "arrogant" Cali fans. Seriously, get the hell over it.

I'm sick and tired of how people say that all of the Laker titles in LA don't count because we stole their team from Minnesota.

I'm sick and tired of how people say that all of the Dodger titles in LA don't count because we stole their team from Brooklyn, even though Dodger Stadium has had more Dodger games than Ebbets Field!

The only fans who deserve to have this kind of grudge are Baby Boomers and older, yet it's amazing how much they've whined about this. Hence, my theory on why it's called the "New York Football Giants."

I don't care one bit and its never bothered me.

I understand the meaning behind the name and its stuck as an identity symbol that's unique to that team. You can't say the Pittsburgh Football Steelers or the Chicago Football Bears and not have it sound weird. New York Football Giants just sounds right and rolls of the tongue that way. So let them keep it. If your really going to make a big deal about why the original meaning of the name is no longer needed (the New York Giants moving to San Francisco) let's talk about how there are no grizzlies in Memphis but that's what the team is called, or how there are no lakes in Los Angeles. A name doesn't need to necessarily have to maintain its original meaning in order for it to be used.

The team's official name is still the New York Football Giants. It has nothing to do with an east coast plot to keep the California sports fan down.

http://www.hoovers.com/company/New_York_Football_Giants_Inc/cjksif-1.html

So in that light I don't mind it.

They're not my team, but personally I love it. It fits with the family, the uniforms and the gray facemasks.

An old-school feel for an old-school team. Let the Jacksonvilles and Carolinas have their fancy flash, the G-Men are holding on to a proud gridiron tradition.

let's talk about how there are no grizzlies in Memphis but that's what the team is called, or how there are no lakes in Los Angeles.

Or no music in Utah.

Isn't that joke from Baseketball?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yes it is.

On topic, the New York Football Giants, in the scheme of overall annoying/obnoxious nicknames doesn't hold a candle to these self-important douchelords who say:

"THE Ohio State University" or any other derivative using "THE (university here)." We get it, you're cool. Blow it out your ass.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yes it is.

On topic, the New York Football Giants, in the scheme of overall annoying/obnoxious nicknames doesn't hold a candle to these self-important douchelords who say:

"THE Ohio State University" or any other derivative using "THE (university here)." We get it, you're cool. Blow it out your ass.

"THE Ohio State University" annoys me more than "New York Football Giants".

spacer.png

Yes it is.

Because people say the former more than the latter and the former is much more of an ego thing.

I hear New York Football Giants about as often as I hear New York Knickerbockers--around once or twice a year. This is probably because whenever Chris Berman is on tv I change the channel.

Yes it is.

Good. Speaking as an alumnus of The Ohio State University, I glad it annoys you so much. That's why we do it. :P

Kidding aside, "The" is not an affectation. Like it or not, it is the actual name of the university. The school is not named Ohio State University. The official name of the school is The Ohio State University.

On topic: I like "New York Football Giants." Like Gothamite said, it sounds old school and traditional.

BB52Big.jpg

Yes it is.

Good. Speaking as an alumnus of The Ohio State University, I glad it annoys you so much. That's why we do it. :P

Kidding aside, "The" is not an affectation. Like it or not, it is the actual name of the university. The school is not named Ohio State University. The official name of the school is The Ohio State University.

On topic: I like "New York Football Giants." Like Gothamite said, it sounds old school and traditional.

The Ohio State university is fine. THE Ohio State University is, quite simply, for douchebags.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yes it is.

The Ohio State university is fine. THE Ohio State University is, quite simply, for douchebags.

Taking pride in your college is just awful, isn't it?

BB52Big.jpg

OSU isn't the only university with a The in its official name.

Yes it is.

Taking pride in your college is just awful, isn't it?

Nothing at all wrong with collegiate pride, nothing at all.

Emphasizing your university as some singular strutting preening albatross of gleaming perfection by barking out "THE" Ohio State" is kind of unnecessary.

twitter

Archived