NY Knicks Concept (Logo and Uniforms)

Funkatron101

Like many people, I find the Knicks logo to be a bit outdated, and bland. So I thought I would take a shot at a new logo design.

The concept behind the rebranding is "Embracing the City."

To me, the Knicks have always a huge part of the culture behind NYC. Knicks = NYC. The Knicks brand, however has never really taken on a theme, unless you count the weird Knickerbocker guy.

The two-toned wordmark invokes the urban feel, while the basketball with city silhouette further establishes that they are a part of each other.

The secondary logo takes the popular subway token and merges it with the Apple logo from the 78/79 season.

knicks-final2.jpg

For the uniforms, I wanted to go for a modern, yet classic design. So many people love the throwbacks, that I decided not to deviate too much from them. I also added an orange alternate. The one major difference is the "Knicks" wordmark makes a return for the home and alt jerseys.

knicks-jersey.jpg

Did you try pinstriping the other two uniforms?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I love it. The style would fit the NBA very well, and it definitely has the feeling of bringing the idea of the city into the logo. The change to a less saturated orange might not be taken well by many Knicks supporters, but I think it works extremely well with what you have here, man. Seriously, good job.

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

Did you try pinstriping the other two uniforms?

I did, but as I mentioned, I didn't want to deviate too much from the throwbacks and felt that if I am going to add pinstripes, might as well leave it to an orange alternate that incorporates the two-toned orange. Many Knicks fans can't accept a hue change to their orange and blue, let alone pinstriping, lol.

Not sure that you can trademark a skyline inside a basketball, or that a logo without any kind of team-specific identifier would fly in the modern age of sports branding.

Other than that this is pretty strong. I think that the two-toned versions would work well in some but not all applications. I'd make separate versions that use solid orange and no skyline. The skyline ones can be used for promotional material and possibly the center court logo, but I'd go with a single color for the primary logos and uniforms. Much easier to reproduce and probably better at scaling as well.

Really liking the home wordmark on the uniforms. I'd try to make the road look a little closer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Am I the only one that sees gold, not orange?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I love these. They are simple yet smart, classy and fit NYC perfectly. Yet I do miss the triangle , if there is a way to incorporate the background triangle is some way these would be perfect. Also the orange might not be the best shade but thats a small tweak.

The apple NY is brilliant. May want to make it truly orange, however. Gold is what I'm seeing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

i love everything about this, except the choice of colors. i'd say the blue is too green and the orange is too yellow. go with a more traditional knicks color scheme, and these logos would be absolutely perfect.

I'm seeing it as gold and teal. I really like all three logos, especially the NYK apple. The colours I can't say I'm a fan of. If you used their current blue and orange, and added a second orange, I think it'd work better.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Yeah i agree with everyone else about the color. you SHOULD tweak the original colors slightly, but not too much like you've done here. The one thing kinda bothering me right now is the darker color used on the top half of the wordmark. I think it would work better if maybe you used it on the bottom half insteak and/or used it to make the letters 3d and add some depth by coloring the very bottom, if that makes sense...?

It looks orange on my phone.

I love that shade of orange! I think if put the skyline silhouette in the numbers it could be an all-time great concept.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Not sure that you can trademark a skyline inside a basketball, or that a logo without any kind of team-specific identifier would fly in the modern age of sports branding.

Other than that this is pretty strong. I think that the two-toned versions would work well in some but not all applications. I'd make separate versions that use solid orange and no skyline. The skyline ones can be used for promotional material and possibly the center court logo, but I'd go with a single color for the primary logos and uniforms. Much easier to reproduce and probably better at scaling as well.

Really liking the home wordmark on the uniforms. I'd try to make the road look a little closer.

What about the Mets?

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=m01gfgeorgvbfw15fy04alujm

What about the Mets?

http://www.sportslog...vbfw15fy04alujm

Apples and oranges. The Mets logo has an actual Mets wordmark in it. There's no actual team mark in your ball logo. If someone were to put a skyline inside a baseball, they'd probably be OK, but as soon as they put a Mets wordmark on it, then they're counterfeiting and the Mets can take action. Either way, when you're trying to build brand recognition, I'm not sure people walking down the street with skyline basketballs really helps - there really should be some kind of team symbol in there (or reduce it to a tertiary mark for use in very limited applications.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived