Mis-matching home and road unis

Blue Falcon

The Wild's uniforms would be forgivable if not for the fauxback. Get rid of that and the non-matching uniforms aren't that bad.

But two of them are fauxbacks. Make a green one based off the road, keep the red as an alternate (with added hem stripes) and be done with it

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thrashers06.png
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

In defense of the Indians, their current home/road combination is basically an updated version of the uniforms they wore from the 40s-60s. So they had a long history of having script text at home, and block on the road. But in baseball I think it's more common and in most cases better. But in football it's always seemed a bit odd, hockey and basketball are just terrible if teams have mismatched uniforms. The Giants, Cowboys, and '90s Vikings are the ones that have bothered me the most.

2009_NYGiants.png

These upset me the most, by far.

I keep arguing that Minnesota works because:

the white jersey looks like a 2000s team, which they actually are

the red jersey looks like a heritage NHL team, which they had (though there's no connection now)

the green jersey looks like a vintage sweater from an early hockey team, of which they had plenty.

Nobody can accuse them of not embracing their identity (see: our complaints about the Lightning), they just don't try to combine them all, so they wear one identity each night.

Not to mention, nobody complains about these...

NorthStars11.png

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

For the most part, it hasn't bothered me too much. But the SF Giants this year might be the only one now that really got my attention. Their home and road are almost complete opposites with the collar and sleeve piping all different and the piping down the front on the road.

Go A's!

I am a fan of mismatching uniforms. Especially from a fan's perspective because it gives two different styles to choose from when buying a jersey.

Yeah... this. I've always liked the way Michigan in particular has used their roads to be more contemporary and modern in contrast with their classic homes. Although for my 1/50th of a dollar, this is the best they've ever looked on the road.

72536874_display_image.jpg?1301542830

Exactly. Go Blue

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I hate the mismatch of patterns/stripes/pipping more than scripts. When it comes to baseball, I think there is nothing sharper than a script wordmark on the Home whites and a block font on the Road grays. There is something classic about. Baseball has had a history of both script and block fonts. I think as long as the team is regular/consistent about it, its ok. Since you brought up the Indians... They have script at home, block at home alt, block on road, and block on road alt. The only issue is, they have Indians on 3 uniforms and Cleveland on just 1. If they would have made 2 and 2, the set would look much cleaner and *uniform*. That... and the 3 different pipping styles on the 4 uniforms is inexcusable.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I would just like to add the 1979-89 Boston Red Sox as maybe the best example of home and roads not matching in any way possible. They went so far as using completely different fonts and number styles.

The Yankees of the mid/late 60s did the same thing... MLB block at home (like the Royals numbers), varsity block (the current style) on the road.

I've always felt the Yankees would look better with a slightly heavier version of MLB block on their uniforms...it would really tie into their history better of Old Yankee Stadium with Mantle, Maris, Berra, going back to Ruth and Gehrig.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I would just like to add the 1979-89 Boston Red Sox as maybe the best example of home and roads not matching in any way possible. They went so far as using completely different fonts and number styles.

The Yankees of the mid/late 60s did the same thing... MLB block at home (like the Royals numbers), varsity block (the current style) on the road.

I've always felt the Yankees would look better with a slightly heavier version of MLB block on their uniforms...it would really tie into their history better of Old Yankee Stadium with Mantle, Maris, Berra, going back to Ruth and Gehrig.

I agree. In fact, a couple of years ago in the playoffs, for some reason David Robertson (I believe) had a different number font on his home jersey that was close to MLB Block. Looked pretty good...although the current numbers don't look bad either.

2009_NYGiants.png

A bit OT, but did they really have those two pairs of pants? Was the middle pair an "alt" only for the dark jersey?

That's the most frustrating part of that uniform to me

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Thrashers06.png

This worked because the only real change between the two was the different shoulder yoke designs. The designs were unified by the logo and hem striping. In fact, this was as close as the Thrashers ever got to having matching designs. This was completely butchered during the switch to Edge though...

Am I the only one that love the giants unis?? The only thing I didn't like we're the home pants. In actually glad they got rid of them. But their away set might be the best in the league IMO

I love the Giants' white jerseys. To me, the lack of blue is offset by the super-sparkly blue helmet. It looks striking. The home jerseys, however, are garbage. They look like faded t-shirts, and their look is made even worse by the spakly helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A bit OT, but did they really have those two pairs of pants? Was the middle pair an "alt" only for the dark jersey?

That's the most frustrating part of that uniform to me

The pants with the gray between the stripes were the road pants and the ones with just the blue/red/blue stripes were the home pants. Whenever the Giants were forced to wear blue jerseys on the road (like against the Cowboys) they would pair their road pants with the blue jerseys.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The norms of uniforms in different sports do a lot to mold my expectations of matching or "mis-matching" home/road combos.

With basketball and football, where the jerseys look like they're primarily platforms for player numbers front and back, I expect more matching. Especially basketball, where mis-matches like the 80s Bulls Chicago script road jerseys just look off to me. For whatever reason I have an easier time taking mismatches in football- maybe because the schedule makes games seem more stand alone, or I've just be conditioned to be ok with it more there.

And with baseball I practically expect it, especially with the seeming prevalence of arched block city names on road uniforms. It just feels right that road uniforms are pretty vanilla.

Archived