Mis-matching home and road unis

Blue Falcon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the mismatch of patterns/stripes/pipping more than scripts. When it comes to baseball, I think there is nothing sharper than a script wordmark on the Home whites and a block font on the Road grays. There is something classic about. Baseball has had a history of both script and block fonts. I think as long as the team is regular/consistent about it, its ok. Since you brought up the Indians... They have script at home, block at home alt, block on road, and block on road alt. The only issue is, they have Indians on 3 uniforms and Cleveland on just 1. If they would have made 2 and 2, the set would look much cleaner and *uniform*. That... and the 3 different pipping styles on the 4 uniforms is inexcusable.

Isn't it just two different pipping styles? Whites, greys, and blue all have piping just around neck and sleeves. While creams have none. How would you feel about adding a 5th uniform to add another with "Cleveland" on the front. Maybe blue or cream? or dare I say....red?

I hate the mismatch of patterns/stripes/pipping more than scripts. When it comes to baseball, I think there is nothing sharper than a script wordmark on the Home whites and a block font on the Road grays. There is something classic about. Baseball has had a history of both script and block fonts. I think as long as the team is regular/consistent about it, its ok. Since you brought up the Indians... They have script at home, block at home alt, block on road, and block on road alt. The only issue is, they have Indians on 3 uniforms and Cleveland on just 1. If they would have made 2 and 2, the set would look much cleaner and *uniform*. That... and the 3 different pipping styles on the 4 uniforms is inexcusable.

Isn't it just two different pipping styles? Whites, greys, and blue all have piping just around neck and sleeves. While creams have none. How would you feel about adding a 5th uniform to add another with "Cleveland" on the front. Maybe blue or cream? or dare I say....red?

EDIT: Sorry, you are correct. The white, gray and blue have the same pipping pattern now. I didnt even notice that they corrected it for this season. The cream still looks awful with piping on the pants, but not on the shirt.

They made probably the most subtle of upgrade with the cream uniform by wearing red socks, belts, and undershirt to match the red hat. It looks amazing now. I said it all of last year that the red hat looked better with the red INDIANS, but worse when it was paired with the navy secondary parts of the uniform.

I wouldn't mind a red alt, but I think when you get to 5 uniforms in baseball, it gets to be over kill.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

There seems to be a trend is hockey with uniforms not matching. I don't follow hockey, I don't watch hockey, but is there some sort of historical tradition to mismatching the uniforms on ice?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

There seems to be a trend is hockey with uniforms not matching. I don't follow hockey, I don't watch hockey, but is there some sort of historical tradition to mismatching the uniforms on ice?

Not in particular. It started happening more and more often when the third jerseys started. Teams would bring in a third jersey, decide they like it better than their colored jersey and they'd drop the old colored jersey that matched the white jersey.

Off the top of my head, this happened with Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Minnesota, and others I'm sure.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Nationals are my least favorite example of this, just go with the much better cursive script already. The Cowboys and Wild are also terrible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The Nationals are my least favorite example of this, just go with the much better cursive script already. The Cowboys and Wild are also terrible.

You mean the much-better block/beveled wordmark.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

They did.

Their unis are a lot like the White Sox's but the home doesn't have pinstripes.

Not in particular. It started happening more and more often when the third jerseys started. Teams would bring in a third jersey, decide they like it better than their colored jersey and they'd drop the old colored jersey that matched the white jersey.

Off the top of my head, this happened with Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Minnesota, and others I'm sure.

It also happened with LA and Edmonton, though they added a matching away when they made the alt their primary. ESTONES6, the Oilers example was during their transition back to their old jerseys, so it was only set to not match for the time being. And in other cases, the team has a coloured shoulder yoke on their white jersey but no shoulder yoke on their road because 9 times out of 10, white shoulder yokes just look bad.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

They did.

Their unis are a lot like the White Sox's but the home doesn't have pinstripes.

The difference is, the White Sox' home jersey has a logo which represents their name. The curly W makes for a horrible logo on the home jersey. The Yankees and Tigers are grandfathered in, but in every other case the home jersey should have some version of the team name instead of just an initial.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Dallas Cowboys. Not only are the home and road mismatched from each other, but the individual uniforms are mismatched with themselves! Worst set in the NFL, except maybe the Bengals.

2011_Dallas.png

The level of hate for the Cowboys' mismatching set is tired. In and of themselves the uniforms don't look horrendous and they could probably use a few minor tweaks but pitting them among the worst in the NFL? I don't see the justification in that. Anything else and it's not the Dallas Cowboys so I'm perfectly fine with what they wear.

Midway.png

You mean the much-better block/beveled wordmark.

I was fine with the block/beveled wordmark. I liked the hat that floated around with the beveled W, instead of the curly W. I just never liked the mix of the two. My thought was if they were going to use the curly W, then match it with the cursive script.

Ark, I totally forgot they switched to the curly W at home. Thanks for the correction.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

When the Royal Blue was the Home and the White was the Road

Oilers23.png

Most of the Rangers' existence:

Rangers29.png

Stars01.png

I liked the Stars set, but now looking at it, you can argue that the fact that the striping pattern for the sleeves not matching the hem stripes is a bigger issue than the homes not matching the road.

As for the Oilers, it should get a pass simply because it was a vintage uniform plus Edmonton had to go to them because of how awful their Edge uniforms were.

The stars is hardly a mismatched set... if it is, so is Detroit's...

How is that "hardly" mismatched? The sleeve stripes are completely different between the two.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived