The End of New Jersey Nets Basketball

sportsfan0518

Alright, I know most of you think the Nets franchise was a joke, but I will admit that it was not the best franchise in the NBA. They played in a terrible arena, did not have a good attendance record, had many underachieving and inconsistent seasons, and the state never supported the team. However, the Nets played their last game as the New Jersey Nets tonight and the 35 year run in New Jersey ends. There best years were in the early-mid 2000s era. That team in 2002 made me a basketball fan and a die hard nets fan. Not only were the Nets my hometown team, they were always top 5 team with players such as Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles, Keith Van Horn, Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, Lucious Harris, Brian Scalibrine, Rodney Rogers, and Mikki Moore. Also, Bryan Scott and Lawrence Frank were 2 excellent coaches. The past 5 seasons were filled with Brooklyn rumors and disappointment. When Jefferson, Kidd, and VC left, a new wave of players came in such as Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, Keyon Dooling, and more recently Deron WIlliams and Gerald Wallace. But when others left the team, I remained loyal during their 70 loss season, the John Wall disappointment, and the questionable draft picks. The Nets really mean a lot to me as a hometown team and my favorite team in all of sports. And as sad as I am about the team relocating to Brooklyn, I will always be a Nets fan whether it be New Jersey, Brooklyn, or even Seattle. It will take a while to get used to, but eventually I will get used to the fact that they are not in New Jersey. as i slowly become Brooklyn ready, I just want to say long live the New Jersey Nets as they will always have a special place in my heart. What were your favorite memories or New Jersey Nets moments and what do you expect from them when the move? I think it is for the better, but like I said it will be heart to get used to.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

I used to be a HUGE Nets fan, until I went to college and realized I wasn't into basketball or the NBA one iota anymore.

So if you asked me 10 years ago I'd be upset (not devastated, I mean, I go to Mets games all the times when I'm in NJ, Brooklyn is just as much a schlep from Jersey), so it's not like they're moving across the country or anything. They're still in the same market, still going to be on YES, still going to be on the FAN, and still going to be generally ignored.

I think I may have died briefly when Reggie Miller banked in that shot in OT of Game 5 in the '02 Quarterfinals that almost ruined their magical season too. That game was nuts.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

My only memory is of buying same/day tickets to a Finals game, and sitting in a half-empty section. I'm sorry you're losing your team, but it would appear that not too many of your fellow staters feel as you do.

That 2003 NBA Finals was pretty embarrassing, and it is true because the state never really rallied around the team even when they were amazing.

I used to be a HUGE Nets fan, until I went to college and realized I wasn't into basketball or the NBA one iota anymore.So if you asked me 10 years ago I'd be upset (not devastated, I mean, I go to Mets games all the times when I'm in NJ, Brooklyn is just as much a schlep from Jersey), so it's not like they're moving across the country or anything. They're still in the same market, still going to be on YES, still going to be on the FAN, and still going to be generally ignored.I think I may have died briefly when Reggie Miller banked in that shot in OT of Game 5 in the '02 Quarterfinals that almost ruined their magical season too. That game was nuts.

I know that they are still in the same area, but they are not in my New Jersey backyard any more which is hard to get over, and making this move feel like a cross-country move. That 2002 game 5 quarterfinal was crazy! That shot by Reggie never should have even counted in the first place since he shot it after the buzzer. The NBA did not have replay back then so they could not review it.

This guy listed Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine, and Mikki Moore as notable players, that alone should tell you something about the New Jersey Nets

Yeah, I only remember Moore with my Kings a couple of years.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The Nets to me maybe the most snake bitten team in the NBA.

If they keep Dr. J when they first come into the league good chance they reach one or more NBA Finals.

Then go to the early to mid 80's What could that team have done had Michael Ray Richardson not been a crack head? He would be teaming up with Buck Williams who should be in the Hall of Fame at the prime of his career, and Richardson would almost certainly be in the Hall as well.

Then flash to the early 90's. What if Drazen Petrovic doesn't die? Does that team still wind up imploding on itself, or does Kenny Anderson, Petrovic and Derrick Coleman become the best 1-2-3 combo in the league with Chuck Daly leading the charge?

Just been alot of bad luck in this franchise's history.

My only memory is of buying same/day tickets to a Finals game, and sitting in a half-empty section. I'm sorry you're losing your team, but it would appear that not too many of your fellow staters feel as you do.

That 2003 NBA Finals was pretty embarrassing, and it is true because the state never really rallied around the team even when they were amazing.

Why would the state rally around them when a sizable portion of the state is loyal to the 76ers? From a sports marketing perspective, "New Jersey" really means "North Jersey", or "The New Jersey Part of Metro NY".

And seriously, could you do something about your ridiculous signature? It takes up my entire laptop and ipad screen. We get what teams you like. We don't care.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey, even small markets should be able to support local teams when they're winning, or else they have no business being in the big leagues.

Being unable to sell out a Finals game is pathetic. Having to announce that you can't sell out a game (as opposed to the other games where you can give away enough tickets to pretend) is doubly so. That's two consecutive trips to the Finals, playing before empty seats during both.

And seriously, could you do something about your ridiculous signature? It takes up my entire laptop and ipad screen. We get what teams you like. We don't care.

At the same time? :P

Kidding aside, what Vet said. A signature should never require it's own address.

BB52Big.jpg

The only Nets game I ever attended at the Continental Airlines Arena was with my family for "Scouts Night" back in 1999 against the Toronto Raptors. My Scout Leader and his son were avid Nets fans and invited our entire troop to this event. Lo and behold the Nets lost by 20 that night to the Raptors. I can't remember if it was an enjoyable experience to watch the Nets play; however, my brother and I heavily rooted for Toronto much to the chagrin of the Scout Leader. ^_^

This guy listed Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine, and Mikki Moore as notable players, that alone should tell you something about the New Jersey Nets

Did I ever say they were good players? Basically all the players i mentioned were solid role players in the golden era of the Nets, the 2000s.

The Nets to me maybe the most snake bitten team in the NBA.If they keep Dr. J when they first come into the league good chance they reach one or more NBA Finals.Then go to the early to mid 80's What could that team have done had Michael Ray Richardson not been a crack head? He would be teaming up with Buck Williams who should be in the Hall of Fame at the prime of his career, and Richardson would almost certainly be in the Hall as well.Then flash to the early 90's. What if Drazen Petrovic doesn't die? Does that team still wind up imploding on itself, or does Kenny Anderson, Petrovic and Derrick Coleman become the best 1-2-3 combo in the league with Chuck Daly leading the charge?Just been alot of bad luck in this franchise's history.

Agreed 100%.

Why would the state rally around them when a sizable portion of the state is loyal to the 76ers? From a sports marketing perspective, "New Jersey" really means "North Jersey", or "The New Jersey Part of Metro NY".And seriously, could you do something about your ridiculous signature? It takes up my entire laptop and ipad screen. We get what teams you like. We don't care.

They were called the New Jersey Nets for a reason, not to represent just the northern part of the state, to represent the entire state. Besides why would a team be called the North Jersey Nets when they are truly the New Jersey Nets? That is just silly.

An address? He takes up a whole ZIP code.

No need to hate. ;) This all about memories and love about the New Jersey Nets franchise. Not ones signature.

Did I ever say they were good players? Basically all the players i mentioned were solid role players in the golden era of the Nets, the 2000s.

The Nets to me maybe the most snake bitten team in the NBA.If they keep Dr. J when they first come into the league good chance they reach one or more NBA Finals.Then go to the early to mid 80's What could that team have done had Michael Ray Richardson not been a crack head? He would be teaming up with Buck Williams who should be in the Hall of Fame at the prime of his career, and Richardson would almost certainly be in the Hall as well.Then flash to the early 90's. What if Drazen Petrovic doesn't die? Does that team still wind up imploding on itself, or does Kenny Anderson, Petrovic and Derrick Coleman become the best 1-2-3 combo in the league with Chuck Daly leading the charge?Just been alot of bad luck in this franchise's history.

Agreed 100%.

Why would the state rally around them when a sizable portion of the state is loyal to the 76ers? From a sports marketing perspective, "New Jersey" really means "North Jersey", or "The New Jersey Part of Metro NY".And seriously, could you do something about your ridiculous signature? It takes up my entire laptop and ipad screen. We get what teams you like. We don't care.

They were called the New Jersey Nets for a reason, not to represent just the northern part of the state, to represent the entire state. Besides why would a team be called the North Jersey Nets when they are truly the New Jersey Nets? That is just silly.

No need to hate. ;) This all about memories and love about the New Jersey Nets franchise. Not ones signature.

That's laughable. I highly doubt there's many (if any) Nets fans south of Trenton. They were a New York metro team that called themselves New Jersey to try and get some loyalty from the North Jersey fans who would otherwise be loyal to the Knicks. It's not like a basketball fan from Marlton is going to be a season ticket holder for a team in the northern part of the state (not that it's that far, but it's a totally different market and not exactly "local".)

As for your sig, F U. Nobody gives a S about your memories. You're just being a jerk by putting all that crap there and filling up people's screens. A holes like you are who is going to ruin it for everyone, and eventually cause for even more restrictions to be put on sigs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Agreed 100%.

That's laughable. I highly doubt there's many (if any) Nets fans south of Trenton. They were a New York metro team that called themselves New Jersey to try and get some loyalty from the North Jersey fans who would otherwise be loyal to the Knicks. It's not like a basketball fan from Marlton is going to be a season ticket holder for a team in the northern part of the state (not that it's that far, but it's a totally different market and not exactly "local".)

As for your sig, F U. Nobody gives a S about your memories. You're just being a jerk by putting all that crap there and filling up people's screens. A holes like you are who is going to ruin it for everyone, and eventually cause for even more restrictions to be put on sigs.

Turn off sigs. Who cares what somebody's favorite team is anyway. The Nets fanbase sucked in New Jersey.

Archived