2012 London Olympics Thread

BigMac12

As for those smaller sports... Handball! To echo what some like Bill Simmons have said, why isn't this bigger!?! Why aren't we good at it!?! Handball is AWESOME. Fast, physical, skilled, high scoring. Every chance I get, I've got handball on my computer feed. Women's and men's. Just a fantastic sport.

I like handball. I think it could really take off if it didn't feel for all the world like something a gym teacher improvised.

:lol: Yeah I guess if i had one, that's my one complaint. It looks awesome and I've loved watching it, but it does almost seem like it's made up. Like something they'd replace dodgeball with once parents complained about violence/bullying or whatever.

I prefer Badminton-Gate myself. :P

But seriously... Why are they throwing these matches? If they wanted to face better opposition, win your match! That's how you get better.

It's round robin play. They were trying to lose one of their early matches then win the rest to get a better/easier quarterfinal draw. They did a terrible job at trying to suck haha. Hitting it right into the net or ground. C'mon.

China wanted to ensure their #1 team wouldn't meet their #2 team until the final, so they could win both the gold and silver.

You mean like what they just did in women's table tennis? Interesting sport, but man is it boring watching two people from the same country. No drama because it becomes irrelevant to those of us who aren't their family members.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for those smaller sports... Handball! To echo what some like Bill Simmons have said, why isn't this bigger!?! Why aren't we good at it!?! Handball is AWESOME. Fast, physical, skilled, high scoring. Every chance I get, I've got handball on my computer feed. Women's and men's. Just a fantastic sport.

I like handball. I think it could really take off if it didn't feel for all the world like something a gym teacher improvised.

:lol: Yeah I guess if i had one, that's my one complaint. It looks awesome and I've loved watching it, but it does almost seem like it's made up. Like something they'd replace dodgeball with once parents complained about violence/bullying or whatever.

But seriously... Why are they throwing these matches? If they wanted to face better opposition, win your match! That's how you get better.

It's round robin play. They were trying to lose one of their early matches then win the rest to get a better/easier quarterfinal draw. They did a terrible job at trying to suck haha. Hitting it right into the net or ground. C'mon.

China wanted to ensure their #1 team wouldn't meet their #2 team until the final, so they could win both the gold and silver.

You mean like what they just did in women's table tennis? Interesting sport, but man is it boring watching two people from the same country. No drama because it becomes irrelevant to those of us who aren't their family members.

So you don't think (despite the hype from NBC) that Phelps-Lochte has any drama? They're both Americans...

So you don't think (despite the hype from NBC) that Phelps-Lochte has any drama? They're both Americans...

There are six other swimmers, though. Did you find the Serena/Venus finals dramatic?

6fQjS3M.png

Not really. Besides the a fore mentioned fact that there are 6 other swimmers in the pool with them, even if it were just one on one, Phelps has seemingly lost his mojo in the pool too.

Can someone explain to me how THIS is considered an Olympic "Sport" for over a century?

You answered your own question. I'm sure it was quite popular when it was introduced over a century ago, and no one has had the balls to take it out since.

Can someone explain to me how THIS is considered an Olympic "Sport" for over a century?

You answered your own question. I'm sure it was quite popular when it was introduced over a century ago, and no one has had the balls to take it out since.

Didn't believe Dressage was an Olympic sport until I saw it today. I'll put it at the top of the list of things that have no business in the Olympics along with:

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Trampoline

Synchronized Swimming

There are others I would debate have to go to like Gymnasitcs and Diving. But the above 4 are just ridiculous. Tug of War was more of a sport than they are.

Him and BBTV operate under the ridiculous notion that sports that use judges shouldn't be in the Olympics.

*shrugs*

Also, there's this weird thing about how teams shouldn't be involved because of some arbitrary rule they made up.

*shrugs again*

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not really. Besides the a fore mentioned fact that there are 6 other swimmers in the pool with them, even if it were just one on one, Phelps has seemingly lost his mojo in the pool too.

Michael Phelps edges Ryan Lochte in 200 IM for record 16th Olympic gold

Manchester-City-icon.png

Michael Phelps edges Ryan Lochte in 200 IM for record 16th Olympic gold

Seriously man, put those things in spoilers.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived