Expansion

the_fan

I have a feeling even asking this question will peeve some people off, but I have to ask: what will it take/what is preventing any further expansion in the Big 4? Not even saying I want it, just asking.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

This is what I think. Number one is the economy. We have had 3 lockouts in the past 10 years in our Big 4 sports. After the economy gets better we may see more teams emerge. Another reason is the NFL has 32 teams, the NHL has 30, MLB has 30, and NBA has 30. I don't think the top people of each league want a lot more teams.

mcbqza.jpg

The big markets that lack Big Five teams just don't have the facilities to add more teams and adding brand new stadiums/arenas is a difficult prospect even in a good economy.

Plus, everyone wants to avoid market oversaturation. There is an argument to be made that contraction would be better than expansion at this point.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Just for the fun of it, I'm going to pick my ideal places if all four of the major pro sports were to expand -- not just to one or two places, but to FOUR places. Again, this is just for fun.

MLB

1. Portland

2. Columbus

3. Buffalo

4. Indianapolis

NFL

1. Los Angeles

2. Toronto

3. San Antonio

4. Salt Lake City

NBA

1. Seattle

2. St. Louis

3. Columbus

4. Louisville

NHL

1. Quebec

2. Milwaukee

3. Kansas City

4. Seattle

I think the NBA/NHL/MLB will eventually expand to 32 because it is a nice number for divisional alignments and scheduling formats.

Not saying it's a good idea.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The only stateside expansion in the big four sports I could see being done in the next 10 years would be the NFL adding one or two teams in LA.

I think the MLB and NHL are done for the time being and if the NBA does decide to expand it will be over in Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if there wasn't a single expansion team in the 2010's.

Just for the fun of it, I'm going to pick my ideal places if all four of the major pro sports were to expand -- not just to one or two places, but to FOUR places. Again, this is just for fun.

NFL

1. Los Angeles

2. Toronto

3. San Antonio

4. Salt Lake City

Not trying to be a dick or anything, and I realize you're doing it just for fun, but really, Salt Lake City? It seems insanely small for an NFL team. Personally, I'd think Vancouver, Montreal, Portland, and even Virginia would have a better chance than SLC.

Or are you just naming places you'd personally like to see an NFL team? If so, I agree that the NFL in Salt Lake would be pretty cool to see.

I think the only league with a possible expansion in the near future would be the NHL because they want the 4-conference alignment and 32 teams would work best for that. Or they could get rid of two teams and go with 7 per conference. But other than that, I think all of the leagues have reachd the humber of teams that they want and the only changes we will see will be in relocation.

If anything, I'd like to see the NBA start moving "struggling" teams to markets similar to OKC, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Portland, etc. I think the "only game in town" model should be how the NBA approaches any future expansion or franchise moves.

Overall however, I think each league could stand to lose some teams.

Just my opinion...

BB52Big.jpg

So what about relocation for any of the Big 4? What could we possibly hear announced in the next, say, 5 years?

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

In 5 years time there WILL be an NHL team in Quebec City, by all rights it'll be the Coyotes but I would not be surprised if another team end up being sacrificed on the Altar of Bettman's Ego.

There will probably be at least one NFL team in Los Angeles out of the Rams, Chargers, Raiders, Bills & Jaguars.

Seattle want back into the NBA, and to some extent the NBA want back into Seattle, but with the Hornets situation being sorted there are no obvious candidates, maybe the Bucks could go, but this is the least likely of the three.

MLB currently has the perfect combination of no teams really looking for a way out and no venues seriously looking for a way in.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

NFL wouldn't work in Salt Lake City, Utah. Not unless the league would be willing to let a Utah team play all of it's home games on Saturday.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

In 5 years time there WILL be an NHL team in Quebec City, by all rights it'll be the Coyotes but I would not be surprised if another team end up being sacrificed on the Altar of Bettman's Ego.

There will probably be at least one NFL team in Los Angeles out of the Rams, Chargers, Raiders, Bills & Jaguars.

Seattle want back into the NBA, and to some extent the NBA want back into Seattle, but with the Hornets situation being sorted there are no obvious candidates, maybe the Bucks could go, but this is the least likely of the three.

MLB currently has the perfect combination of no teams really looking for a way out and no venues seriously looking for a way in.

Your forgetting the Kings in the NBA who are very likely to have only one more season left in Sactown.

And as for MLB, the A's, who are pretty dead set on moving to San Jose. Wolff has said they won't leave the Bay area, though.

Your forgetting the Kings in the NBA who are very likely to have only one more season left in Sactown.

And as for MLB, the A's, who are pretty dead set on moving to San Jose. Wolff has said they won't leave the Bay area, though.

True.

I did forget the Kings (but hey doesn't everyone these days :P )

The A's will probably end up doing kind of like what the Nets are doing now and move, but stay basically in market, so it's basically half relocation

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived