Teams that need a complete overhaul

I don't get the love for those uniforms. The name SuperSonics has a certain futuristic flair to it that was undercut by the adoption of a faux-old time basketball logo and wordmark.

Ehhh... I wouldn't describe that wordmark as old-timey. It's very '70s due to its inline design, which was fitting for the Sonics, as the pinnacle of their success was in the '70s. I'd describe that identity more as retro-futuristic, very appropriate for the Sonics.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

monta-bucks.jpg

the bucks.

+1. I would love it if Bucks went back to one of these:

c3f89gehrb2jkm7lxwiooq0k5.gifu4ay5i0ft6rz7w7fhebh96fe8.gif

Or maybe even something like this? :D

Although for the record, the double-greens are still my all-time favorite Bucks unis. It's a shame that no other pro (or college) sports team has ever used that combo.

The retro one on the right is pretty damn fresh!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

I don't get the love for those uniforms. The name SuperSonics has a certain futuristic flair to it that was undercut by the adoption of a faux-old time basketball logo and wordmark.

Ehhh... I wouldn't describe that wordmark as old-timey. It's very '70s due to its inline design, which was fitting for the Sonics, as the pinnacle of their success was in the '70s. I'd describe that identity more as retro-futuristic, very appropriate for the Sonics.

I agree, '70s retro futuristic would have looked great for Sonics. Thing is, I'm not convinced that's what they did. Inline letting isn't inherently retro futuristic.

This is '70s retro futuristic. This looks like it belongs on the label of Seattle-based condiment company that was going for an old timey feel.

A feeling that I feel was emphasized by the "est. 1967" text. It was trying way to hard to be vintage. Not retro futuristic, but vintage. Like that double blue Florida Panthers sweater.

My ideal Seattle SuperSonics logo would combine the S/ball logo and the jet circling the basketball image from the team's first (and in my opinion best) mark.

I will continue to bitch about this until they change this God-foresaken monstrosity to something remotely creative, unique, relevant to their name, relevant to their history, and relevant to their era:

0131-tbl-playersmodel.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I will continue to bitch about this until they change this God-foresaken monstrosity to something remotely creative, unique, relevant to their name, relevant to their history, and relevant to their era:

I get that you don't like the identity, but how is a lightning bolt not relevent to a team named the "Lightning"?

I get that you don't like the identity, but how is a lightning bolt not relevent to a team named the "Lightning"?

That was a reference to the colour. Blue/black/silver (even yellow) is the perfect "storm" colour scheme. Blue alone doesn't remind me at all of a lightning storm and is a horrible reflection of the team name.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

...except that the Jays didn't just bring back the old--they improved on it in a big way. The Padres could bring back some brown, but hopefully not in the terrible way it was used before.

Not in conjunction with orange in any form, but brown and gold are a gorgeous color combination sadly unused in pro sports.

Agreed. Using orange is what leads people to the Taco Bell connotations, but brown and yellow alone should not warrant that.

No, it leads people to other connotations.

only until they leave grammar school.

Their bodies may leave elementary school, but their minds may not.

And therein lies the primary issue.

If an adult cannot look at brown and yellow without thinking about :censored: and piss, well that's pretty damn sad.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

im just going to finish out my list here. teams that need a new logo and uniforms

NBA . . . . . .

Bobcats

Warriors

Nuggets

Clippers

Bucks

Heat

Hornets

Knicks

Thunder

Kings

raptors

MLB . . . . . .

Rays

Mariners

Diamondbacks

Rockies

Astros

Marlins

Dodgers

Giants

Cardinals

Nationals

NHL . . . . . . .

Flames

Hurricanes

Panthers

Predators

Islanders

Penguins

Sharks

Lightning

Jets

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Like he said, Cardinals? Giants and Dodgers too??

Overhaul is definitely thrown around too much. To me, an overhaul is dumping all scripts/logos or a color scheme, or a change as drastic as that. For example, let's go to this past off-season as an example. Toronto Blue Jays changes? Overhaul. San Diego Padres changes? Not an overhaul.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

BrandmooreArt, may I hear what you don't like about the Mariners and Cardinals uniforms? Those are two of my favorites personally.

with St Louis they cant really win. add more blue and they become more like a majority of baseball teams (red, white blue) or stay the same and its very similar to the Reds and Phillies. maybe its because im from Indiana but i see red and white and see those 2 teams first. the logo was never any good, like many logos its just drawn very poorly. script too

Mariners i dont know. with their color palette you dont need to do too much, its a great set of colors. but it also has opportunity for something really unique. which is what i would like to see. some elements that no one else has. at least pull from the current logo

Giants, Dodgers do nothing for me either. and their logos are terrible

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

BrandmooreArt, may I hear what you don't like about the Mariners and Cardinals uniforms? Those are two of my favorites personally.

with St Louis they cant really win. add more blue and they become more like a majority of baseball teams (red, white blue) or stay the same and its very similar to the Reds and Phillies. maybe its because im from Indiana but i see red and white and see those 2 teams first. the logo was never any good, like many logos its just drawn very poorly. script too

Mariners i dont know. with their color palette you dont need to do too much, its a great set of colors. but it also has opportunity for something really unique. which is what i would like to see. some elements that no one else has. at least pull from the current logo

Giants, Dodgers do nothing for me either. and their logos are terrible

I'm either gonna assume you're running a high fever and are doped up on meds, or just pretend you didn't say any of this, because I've felt you were a pretty decent artist and knew what you were talking about around here, but I don't even think any of the "posers" would say something like any of this. At least not out loud.

with St Louis they cant really win.

They have one of the top 3 uniforms in MLB. Can't win? They've already won. ^_^

with St Louis they cant really win.

They have one of the top 3 uniforms in MLB. Can't win? They've already won. ^_^

Most iconic looks in MLB: Yankees pinstripes and the birds on the bat, followed by Tigers homes and Dodgers homes/red front numbers.

The Cardinals and Dodgers have some of the nicest uniforms in all of baseball. And the Mariners' look is becoming more and more iconic. A tweak or two every now and then is fine, but why overhaul great looks?

Archived