Teams that need a complete overhaul

Self explanatory...

The Raptors come to mind for me.

Toronto+Raptors+v+Miami+Heat+b3C4JZjUirAl.jpg

I think they should consider going to a blue color scheme to fit in with the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs. Red and black seems to be pretty overplayed in the Association. Plus I think their uniforms are starting to look dated period.

I also think the Rockets are beginning to look dated. Their uniforms look very early 2000's to me, when And-1 streetball was all the rage. I think street ball uniforms when I see the Rockets. Probably because of the wide shoulders. And I never cared for their current R-rocket logo.

0809rockets.jpg

90758391980.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally speaking, I shy away from calling for "complete overhauls". I like teams to carry some consistency through their identity, particularly in regards to color scheme. Here are some things, though, that I'd like to see:

1. Padres go back to brown and ORANGE (like late 1980s). They already blew that "constant identity" thing. Go back and be the Brown Team and re-establish it.
  2. OKC, with this success, should stick with their color scheme...improve the wordmark on their road jersey...get a better logo...not an overhaul, but an improvement. Should have done this year 2 (as I believe their year 1 stuff was thrown together in a hurry, by necessity)
  3. Hawks: Red and yellow
  4. Flames: remove the black
  5. Ravens could maybe use some tweaking of their colors. Maybe more emphasis on gold? I'm not sure, but I don't think there is enough contrast. The black and purple need to be buffered.
  6. I would be OK with somewhat of a Timberwolves "overhaul". I would not want some crazy new color scheme though. Blue as the primary with a forest green and maybe a bit of silver trim. Logo maybe a green-inclusive version of the secondary logo, and a re-examination of the wordmark/number fonts on the uniform.
  7. Seattle Seahawks now need a uniform overhaul. But their logo / colors (and therefore identity) are fine.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Anaheim Ducks.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Generally speaking, I shy away from calling for "complete overhauls". I like teams to carry some consistency through their identity, particularly in regards to color scheme. Here are some things, though, that I'd like to see:

1. Padres go back to brown and ORANGE (like late 1980s). They already blew that "constant identity" thing. Go back and be the Brown Team and re-establish it.
  2. OKC, with this success, should stick with their color scheme...improve the wordmark on their road jersey...get a better logo...not an overhaul, but an improvement. Should have done this year 2 (as I believe their year 1 stuff was thrown together in a hurry, by necessity)
  5. Ravens could maybe use some tweaking of their colors. Maybe more emphasis on gold? I'm not sure, but I don't think there is enough contrast. The black and purple need to be buffered.
  6. I would be OK with somewhat of a Timberwolves "overhaul". I would not want some crazy new color scheme though. Blue as the primary with a forest green and maybe a bit of silver trim. Logo maybe a green-inclusive version of the secondary logo, and a re-examination of the wordmark/number fonts on the uniform.
  7. Seattle Seahawks now need a uniform overhaul. But their logo / colors (and therefore identity) are fine.

Padres - Brown and GOLD. Their original colors, looks better for them, and why, if they're going to be only the 2nd team out of the 4 major leagues to use brown, would you want both of those teams to use the same secondary color (orange)?

Padres - Brown and GOLD. Their original colors, looks better for them, and why, if they're going to be only the 2nd team out of the 4 major leagues to use brown, would you want both of those teams to use the same secondary color (orange)?

I just think the brown and orange looks a lot better. I think if they went brown and gold, that people would be more apt to grow tired of it. But maybe it's my personal preference getting in the way. I know that if they ever do go back, the gold will win, though.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I just think the brown and orange looks a lot better. I think if they went brown and gold, that people would be more apt to grow tired of it. But maybe it's my personal preference getting in the way. I know that if they ever do go back, the gold will win, though.

I think Blue and Sand looks 1000000x better. Brown is just.... Ugly.

Speaking of which, the Cleveland Browns could use a complete rebrand/ overhaul. I know it's a classic and it would PO most all browns fans ( which is why it would never happen.), but it's not good and doesn't have a SB title in all the years it's been in use.

MLB

Miami Marlins- Just go back to what you had. Switch the F to an M. Done.

Houston Astros- But it's coming so they're good. Hopefully it's not something worse.

NHL

Anaheim Ducks- Switch the black to dark green. Get a real logo. Bam! Would be instantly one of the nicest looks in the NHL.

NBA

Houston Rockets- I don't think they need a complete overhaul, but they need to make this the basis of their unis, with a script switch:

xige3e7btg3ei4993zkjs0vkl.gif

NFL

Jacksonville Jags- So bland.

sig.png

MLB

--Houston Astros: It's coming, and not 5 years too soon. I still think adding Graphite to an Orange/Navy look can be done well, if done right. If they want to go in a new direction, go Brick Red/Orange/Graphite or Orange/Navy/Brick Red.

--San Diego Padres: The current Padres ownership, who has gone the Spanos route and made their own pet color-navy-the team's primary, is looking to sell. While I don't know if there are rules regarding changes (as in can't do it for x amount of years), hopefully the new ownership, whenever any sell happens, can return to brown. As for the second color, I slightly prefer orange, but either way, Brown/Orange or Brown/Gold would be a vast improvement over the bland, largely uninspired set they have now. Maybe Brown/Orange with Gold (Yellow or Sand) trim or Brown/Light Blue with Orange or Gold (Sand or Yellow) trim?

--Colorado Rockies: Possibly add Green and/or tweak Purple to Indigo, or stay Purple and keep Silver/Gray, dump Black. Or, at the very minimum, update the script and logo.

--Cleveland Indians: Minimize Chief Wahoo, swap out Navy Blue for Brown, or even adopt a similar color scheme to that of the Browns: Brown/Orange/Red (if the Padres were to go Brown/Gold).

--Arizona Diamondbacks: This isn't a complete overhaul in the full sense of the word, but I'd definitely change the uniform scripts, as they've shrunk on me and don't really look good at all. As for the colors, I've always thought they should have replaced the Sand with Athletic Gold, using Brick Red/Black/Gold which is IMO a very Southwestern/Arizona kind of thing to to (a recolor of the AZ state flag would look great in said colors). However, since changing the colors is part of the conversation, why not go in more of an Arizona State direction and use Burgundy/Gold with some Black to shore up the look?

--Miami Marlins: Lose the Yellow, make all scripts on jerseys besides the Black alternate Black. Replacing the Light Blue by Teal isn't a bad idea, either.

NFL

--Jacksonville Jaguars: Not unlike the Astros, this may be happening to them, as well. Maybe a "Standing and Swatting Jaguar" logo on the helmet, or something along the lines of the Jaguars logo from the "NFL Logos Revamped" thread. I'd also re-emphasize the Teal with the Gold with Black trim to make things pop, though the Jaguars are likely to become a Black-wearing team come next year.

--Tennessee Titans: Don't know if it would count as an overhaul, but re-emphasize Columbia Blue/Red and keep the Navy for trim while just going for the sheild in the "Flaming Thumbtack" logo, or use the "T-Sword" logo as the main. Maybe put some flames on that sword? Also, get rid of that computer-like font and use something along the lines of the throwback Houston Oilers uniforms.

--Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Like the Titans, not sure if it counts as a complete overhaul (re-colors tend to require new uniforms, which is enough of a change to mention here), but an effort can be made to make the helmets white again while re-establishing the Bucs as a Red/Orange/Black team. Either that, or the Pewter can become less of a warm gray and more of a cool, Graphite-ish gray and more of an emphasis on Orange.

NBA

--Toronto Raptors: Don't go blue (literally about half of the league already is) but return to being a Purple/Red/Black team. Could possibly be renamed as the Huskies.

--Houston Rockets: Go Red/Gold. Also, update the scripts and number fonts (fatten them, maybe?) for better visibility.

--Utah Jazz: Not so much a change in logos, but replace the Navy with an Indigo or Dark Purple; have a roughly even amount of use from the regular roads and alternate greens. Possibly draw from the Note and Mountain-Ball logos to come up with a hybrid of the two (note logo coming across mountains, or mountains on the ball in the note).

--Oklahoma City Thunder: Either dump the Navy and Yellow and add Graphite to the Red-Orange and Light Blue, or lose the Light Blue and Yellow and go Navy/Red-Orange. Also, get a logo that actually represents Thunder.

NHL

--Anaheim Ducks: Replace Black with Dark Green or Jade, and use an actual logo. Also could go Eggplant/Black/Bronze or revert to Eggplant/Jade.

--Dallas Stars: Go Green/Gold/Black or Kelly Green/Dark Green/Gold (like in this concept) and use the "Dallas" script on the star-patterned jerseys for the home and road uniforms (like in my concept), and use this for the alternate, with the appropriate colors.

MLB

Miami Marlins- Just go back to what you had. Switch the F to an M. Done.

Houston Astros- But it's coming so they're good. Hopefully it's not something worse.

NHL

Anaheim Ducks- Switch the black to dark green. Get a real logo. Bam! Would be instantly one of the nicest looks in the NHL.

NBA

Houston Rockets- I don't think they need a complete overhaul, but they need to make this the basis of their unis, with a script switch:

xige3e7btg3ei4993zkjs0vkl.gif

NFL

Jacksonville Jags- So bland.

I guess I'm one of the few, but I really like the rockets current set. Looks modern but simple which I think gives I longevity. I love the logo. My only problem with the whole set is the black drop shadow on the home whites and the logo. I also really dislike the new alternate. Looks like a bad fashion jersey. I understand the concept I just really didn like the execution. Think it could've been done better.

How can I forget this one: The Rays. One of the most dull and inspired sets in the Major Leagues. Scripts and logos are OK, but the color scheme is generic, doesn't fit the name, and isn't used very well. I was actually just working on a Rays concept before for my MLB series, and was having trouble picking a color scheme. There are so many unique color schemes that the Rays could rock out. Here are some of my ideas:

-Navy blue and kelly green

-Dark green and kelly green

-Dark green and orange

-Dark green and powder blue

-Purple and orange

-Purple and powder blue

-Purple and yellow

-Black and kelly green

Actually, not to get off topic, but I'd like to get some feedback and maybe an interesting discussion going. If you want to see the Rays colors change, what color scheme would you like to see? Any combination, not just the ones that I suggested.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

It's one thing to want the Marlins to return to teal, but to go back exactly to the previous identity while simply changing out the F-fish logo for the old BP cap M-fish logo is more half-assed and lazy and worse than going in the direction they did to coincide with a name change for the location. There are some execution issues with the new look, but all-in-all it's very Miami, which is the emphasis for the new color scheme, rather than on Marlins which they've always been.

Archived