Teams that need a complete overhaul

But how successful has the franchise been financially? THAT'S one of the principal reasons to move a franchise. As bad as they've been, they have a pretty new stadium (late 90's) and a solid fanbase. They lost their first team because Art Modell was... well, Art Modell. If every team moved because of bad uniforms and a losing record, we'd be playing musical franchises every year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I have nothing against Cleveland. I just think that as a franchise, they have nothing. They have no tradition of winning in an era most fans can remember, a city that isn't exactly marketable, and a team that's terrible. They have no real logo other than the helmet (which really isn't much to market), and seriously, where can you go with a name like the Browns? From a marketing standpoint, they're in a terrible situation, and I don't see them getting out of it anytime soon.

This thread's about to be...

ayaotd_slimed.gif

HARDCORE CLEVEJACKED!!!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

monta-bucks.jpg

the bucks.

+1. I would love it if Bucks went back to one of these:

c3f89gehrb2jkm7lxwiooq0k5.gifu4ay5i0ft6rz7w7fhebh96fe8.gif

And not a complete overhaul but Kings need to get rid of Sacremanto from there home uniforms and just go with Kings on both home and away. It looks way too busy right now

5HKZG00Z.jpg

vs

1297113686.jpg

No, I have nothing against Cleveland. I just think that as a franchise, they have nothing. They have no tradition of winning in an era most fans can remember, a city that isn't exactly marketable, and a team that's terrible. They have no real logo other than the helmet (which really isn't much to market), and seriously, where can you go with a name like the Browns? From a marketing standpoint, they're in a terrible situation, and I don't see them getting out of it anytime soon.

This thread's about to be...

ayaotd_slimed.gif

HARDCORE CLEVEJACKED!!!

I'm not a Cleveland fan, but I do feel it would be a mistake for them to change their identity away from the Browns, there's just too much history and tradition there. Yes, they've struggled since the relaunch(only one playoff team), and before that, I think their last playoff team was in 1994. But countless Browns fans have strong memories of the 1980s, and the Browns were contenders most years before that, dating back to when they joined the NFL out of the AAFC. There are generations of those older fans who have passed down those good times to the younger generation as well. We must remember the agreement to keep the original Browns logo and history in Cleveland when the original franchise departed for Baltimore was done for a reason. If the Browns can turn it around, the city of Cleveland would go insane with enthusiasm.

But how successful has the franchise been financially? THAT'S one of the principal reasons to move a franchise. As bad as they've been, they have a pretty new stadium (late 90's) and a solid fanbase. They lost their first team because Art Modell was... well, Art Modell. If every team moved because of bad uniforms and a losing record, we'd be playing musical franchises every year.

Don't feed the trolls.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm really surprised nobody's said the Phoenix Coyotes yet. They could use a total overhaul; new city, logo, colors, and team name

This is protbably why no one's mentioned the Coyotes. Most of us feel that the overhaul is coming pretty soon....

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

In my opinion, my beloved Ottawa Senators need to change everything in their indentity outside of the colour scheme & team name.

That whole misguided Roman theme has gone on long enough!

You're looking for an old, white guy in a suit as the mascot?

Surely these aren't my only two options.

Indeed. The Senators could piece together a pretty classy identity with the =O=, the "OTTAWA SENATORS"/"SENATEURS D'OTTAWA" shield, and maybe the Peace Tower logo.

The Roman theme was cute, but it doesn't really hold up once you start to really think about it.

I'm really surprised nobody's said the Phoenix Coyotes yet. They could use a total overhaul; new city, logo, colors, and team name

This is protbably why no one's mentioned the Coyotes. Most of us feel that the overhaul is coming pretty soon....

You're right, that's gotta be the reason ... their relocation is a formality as to when they'll move, not if.

What I've long wondered is who has the inside track ... KC with their new arena, Quebec City, or Seattle ... Hamilton no way, I always wondered why a northern city like Milwaukee wouldn't be in the mix.

I so miss the Nordiques, but if they get a team back they'd have to re-brand because the Av's own the logo, history, and definitely the team colors. I miss Hartford too, but more so when they made the uniform change to reverse it and make navy primary and green the trim color .... free the whale !!!

quebec_nordiques.jpgnordiques.jpg

whalers.jpg

gordie-howebrodeur.jpg

In my opinion, my beloved Ottawa Senators need to change everything in their indentity outside of the colour scheme & team name.

Indeed. The Senators could piece together a pretty classy identity with the =O=, the "OTTAWA SENATORS"/"SENATEURS D'OTTAWA" shield, and maybe the Peace Tower logo.

The Roman theme was cute, but it doesn't really hold up once you start to really think about it.

... all of the boring (or, in the case of the Peace Tower logo, crappy) parts of their identity. Yawn.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

In my opinion, my beloved Ottawa Senators need to change everything in their indentity outside of the colour

scheme & team name.

... all of the boring (or, in the case of the Peace Tower logo, crappy) parts of their identity. Yawn.

I think the sens could make a great logo based off of the all-star logo

07Giants.pngnyy.png

--Toronto Raptors: Don't go blue (literally about half of the league already is) but return to being a Purple/Red/Black team. Could possibly be renamed as the Huskies.

The problem with naming them the Huskies is that any logo would be way too similar to the Timberwolves'. If not for that though, I'd be all for it.

Regarding the colour scheme, I was never fond of purple/black/red/silver. If they picked one secondary colour (preferably purple, as red/black is overused) to go with black and silver, they'd look great. Oh, and it's time to officially make the claw logo the primary.

How can I forget this one: The Rays. One of the most dull and inspired sets in the Major Leagues. Scripts and logos are OK, but the color scheme is generic, doesn't fit the name, and isn't used very well. I was actually just working on a Rays concept before for my MLB series, and was having trouble picking a color scheme. There are so many unique color schemes that the Rays could rock out. Here are some of my ideas:

-Navy blue and kelly green

-Dark green and kelly green

-Dark green and orange

-Dark green and powder blue

-Purple and orange

-Purple and powder blue

-Purple and yellow

-Black and kelly green

Actually, not to get off topic, but I'd like to get some feedback and maybe an interesting discussion going. If you want to see the Rays colors change, what color scheme would you like to see? Any combination, not just the ones that I suggested.

I'd go with one of the three I bolded. Really, any two of black/purple/blue/green would work. My personal preferences, on top of the ones above.

Their whole set has gone downhill with every change. If they would just tweak this beauty, they'd had a fantastic set:

576fhqq8095dvh4eseg88q9o0.gif

Just add thin white stripes around the red ones and use the 1998-07 logo and you're golden. Keep the current alt, but replace vintage white with snow white.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Generally speaking, I shy away from calling for "complete overhauls". I like teams to carry some consistency through their identity, particularly in regards to color scheme. Here are some things, though, that I'd like to see:

1. Padres go back to brown and ORANGE (like late 1980s). They already blew that "constant identity" thing. Go back and be the Brown Team and re-establish it.
  2. OKC, with this success, should stick with their color scheme...improve the wordmark on their road jersey...get a better logo...not an overhaul, but an improvement. Should have done this year 2 (as I believe their year 1 stuff was thrown together in a hurry, by necessity)
  3. Hawks: Red and yellow
  4. Flames: remove the black
  5. Ravens could maybe use some tweaking of their colors. Maybe more emphasis on gold? I'm not sure, but I don't think there is enough contrast. The black and purple need to be buffered.
  6. I would be OK with somewhat of a Timberwolves "overhaul". I would not want some crazy new color scheme though. Blue as the primary with a forest green and maybe a bit of silver trim. Logo maybe a green-inclusive version of the secondary logo, and a re-examination of the wordmark/number fonts on the uniform.
  7. Seattle Seahawks now need a uniform overhaul. But their logo / colors (and therefore identity) are fine.

Padres - Brown and GOLD. Their original colors, looks better for them, and why, if they're going to be only the 2nd team out of the 4 major leagues to use brown, would you want both of those teams to use the same secondary color (orange)?

I just think the brown and orange looks a lot better. I think if they went brown and gold, that people would be more apt to grow tired of it. But maybe it's my personal preference getting in the way. I know that if they ever do go back, the gold will win, though.

I think Blue and Sand looks 1000000x better. Brown is just.... Ugly.

Speaking of which, the Cleveland Browns could use a complete rebrand/ overhaul. I know it's a classic and it would PO most all browns fans ( which is why it would never happen.), but it's not good and doesn't have a SB title in all the years it's been in use.

You're my hero. Seriously, who would want brown back? Especially with either Giants orange or taco bell gold? If anything they need to add a bit more sand back into their uni and call it a day.

You're my hero. Seriously, who would want brown back? Especially with either Giants orange or taco bell gold? If anything they need to add a bit more sand back into their uni and call it a day.

Well, there's three of you. You two, plus the moron in charge of the Padres.

Well, there's three of you. You two, plus the moron in charge of the Padres.

Actually there's 4 of us in this thread alone so far. Brown isn't universally loved, accept it and move on. If anything the Padres should either bring back the sand, or bring back their 90's unis.

Archived