International Football Musings

crashcarson15

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's always a straight red for me. Can't be that reckless and out of control on the pitch. Studs to the chest should always be straight red.

I'll admit I didn't rewind and watch over, I only saw the replays FSC showed but, to me, it looked like chest to the studs, not the other way around. Dangerous play, yes, but no intent to harm.

That's a tough one. I could see the arguments for either side. I know its a moot point to him, but why can't soccer review and rescind fouls like the NHL and NBA can?

I remember last month Desjardins from the Sharks got tossed wrongly, and the NHL promptly announced they would rescind the major penalty.

In soccer in 2010, Thomas Muller of Germany got a bad yellow against Argentina which caused him to miss the semis against Spain, which they lost. I wasn't intentional at all, and definitely not worth a yellow. Last year at the Euros, Greece's captain Karagounis got a yellow against the Russians for an alleged dive in the box, when the replays showed it wasn't. He missed the quarters against Germany, which he probably wouldn't have made a difference, but still. There was also Kaka getting a double yellow because of a flop by an Ivorian. The technology is in place and unlike the NHL and NBA, soccer games aren't every other day, so it seems like there is enough time to fully review fouls.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Yes, but what does that do for the game at hand?

I mean, sure, if there was a review's process that determined that Nani didn't commit a red card infraction, that's fine and everything, but it's not like they're going to go back to '57 and restart the game from there. Right or wrong, Nani was still sent off, and Real scored two goals to wrest away the tie from United. Not only would a review's process not bring United to a feeling of justice, but they would probably be even further peeved that they got the short end of the stick.

spacer.png

Oh I know you can't go back, but my point was about how a team has to play games for sure without the suspended player going forward in tournaments, etc. The teams I mentioned did have to play more for sure.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

A great performance from Tottenham last night to take a 3-0 aggregate lead to the San Siro next week against Inter Milan.

The one thing it did highlight, which is the main point to be made...

How far have Inter fallen from where they once were? They have lost a lot of big names (admittedly some last night were due to injury). The only real instantly recognisable names were Zanetti and Cambiasso - with Cassano to an extent.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Lionel Messi...

He's just become the first player in world history to score in 17 consecutive league games.

He's scored 52 goals in all competitions so far this season.

He's already scored 40 goals in La Liga this season, more than 16 out of the other 19 teams!! :wow:

Guy is simply on another planet right now.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I've listened to the Johnson feed. He's okay, but I never liked him and find him very overrated. But thankfully I don't have to listen to any American call this game, cause all have failed before him.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The second half of the Man U - Chelsea FA tie was simply fantastic television. And it took a half dozen games or so for Gus Johnson to get his legs under him calling a soccer game, but he nailed it in this one.

And what a wretched week it was for United, seeing two leads in the 2nd half fall by the boards. They can point to a legit awful call for screwing them over in the UCL, but what was their excuse yesterday? 2-0 lead at home against a reeling side with an interim manager, and they are very lucky that they will have a chance to redeem themselves with a replay match at the Bridge. Chelsea frankly should've won that game outright. We all know Chelsea are the masters of the FA Cup, but United should've had that under wraps on Sunday. Regardless of who wins the replay, the tie vs. Manchester City in the semi-final should be another outstanding matchup.

Re: Gus Johnson - I'm not very impressed with his style. It just doesn't seem to jive well with the nature of soccer. Basketball is the best sport for him.

spacer.png

So Internazionale erased their three goal deficit to Tottenham at the San Siro to force extra time, but the goal they allowed in extra time was enough to give Tottenham the aggregate edge on road goals?

Considering there were thirty extra minutes to that match, that seems like crap enforcement of that rule. I would've just assumed that, once extra time is reached in the second leg of a tie, that the road goal tiebreaker goes out the window. But that's what happens when I haven't paid attention to such competitions as much in the past.

spacer.png

The away goal rule is horse :censored:. If two teams are tied on aggregate after the 2nd leg, it should go straight to extra time rather than giving the team who scored more on road the decision.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

So Internazionale erased their three goal deficit to Tottenham at the San Siro to force extra time, but the goal they allowed in extra time was enough to give Tottenham the aggregate edge on road goals?

Considering there were thirty extra minutes to that match, that seems like crap enforcement of that rule. I would've just assumed that, once extra time is reached in the second leg of a tie, that the road goal tiebreaker goes out the window. But that's what happens when I haven't paid attention to such competitions as much in the past.

After extra 180 minutes, the aggregate was 3-3 with each team winning 3-0 at home. Adebeyor's goal in extra time made it 4-3 on aggregate for Spurs to advance.

EDIT: Never mind. I had to go after the Adebeyor goal and didn't see Inter scored again.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Inter also scored in extra time to level the aggregate at 4.

That's what I'm saying. There would be no extra time at White Hart Lane, thus no extra thirty minutes for Spurs to defend their pitch, but Inter got penalized for that on the road goal they conceded in extra time at the San Siro. As an asides, it seems like every Inter game that is worth reading/watching is marred by racism. Glad to see that there are still a few clubs around the world supported by knuckleheads.

spacer.png

The fact of the matter is that the away goals rule exists. There was an extra 30 minutes of play, where Inter had the 'advantage' of being at home. So if the rule exists in 90 minutes, it should exist in extra time. That being said, the real argument is probably that it shouldn't exist at all.

On reflection there are 2 things that can be said though:

1. Tottenham should never have put themselves in this position. All it needed was a scrappy poor goal in the first 20 minutes to effectively end the tie, no matter how many were conceded.

2. The away goal rule is far from the biggest issue in football. The aforementioned racist chanting, goal line technology, clarity in the offside rule, constant time wasting, diving and respect towards officials to name but a few.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Manchester City effectively ruined any chance they had at defended their title and catching up to United today with a 2-0 loss to Everton. I can't believe the refs missed the late handball in the box by Fellaini. Anyways, a 1-1 draw wouldn't have been much better either.

Archived