International Football Musings

crashcarson15

No one will ever match Sir Alex's resume, his success, his attitude, his presence. His seat will never be filled on the Red Devil sidelines. Could have won a few more Champions Leagues, but that's besides the point. :P

It does seem like United won the UCL more than twice under Sir Alex's watch, doesn't it?

spacer.png

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the issue with Moyes is that he has never had any expectations put on himself. He has done a great job at Everton.

The thing which interests me the most is what Utd will do in the transfer window. They do need a few new faces at certain positions and no doubt there will be a few departures (mainly looking at Anderson and Nani). I would be shocked if Utd didn't already have all of their expected transfers pretty much agreed and will complete them very early on in the window. This will also help protect whoever becomes the new manager from facing early criticism,.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

That was what Cup Finals used to be like!!! (Well occasionally!) underdog up for the fight. Favourites not wanting the win as much, a few 50/50 decisions go against them, set piece goal wins it! Great fun.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I just heard Gus Johnson die on the mic, after Watson's goal. If he's the head commentator for the World Cup on FOX, I really feel bad for you guys. He ruins the game.

Anyways congrats to the Latics, they were tremendous today. Now don't leap Newcastle!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I just heard Gus Johnson die on the mic, after Watson's goal. If he's the head commentator for the World Cup on FOX, I really feel bad for you guys. He ruins the game.

Anyways congrats to the Latics, they were tremendous today. Now don't leap Newcastle!

He still has two years to improve for the WWC and five years for Russia. They must find somebody whom he can be paired with who can work better with him as Ian Wright is a liability himself. The match(es) he did with Warren Barton was not much better.

Yeah. Problem is that soccer is such a methodical, at times slow-paced game. His style doesn't jive with the sport at all.

Basketball is really where he belongs.

Really?

I am not a Gus apologist from the 2012 college football thread from his work with Charles Davis and poor audio, but if any American born PBP guy needed to call that game for America in 2013 on any US Network, it was Gus.

That probably speaks more to the quality American soccer announcers, and/or the interest in soccer in this country, than to the quality of Gus Johnson's soccer play-by-play (kick-by-kick?) capabilities.

Martin Tyler and Ian Darke, to me, are the standard for soccer announcing. Excellent ability to intertwine even-keel commentary with appropriate emotion when the situation calls for it. Of course, neither of them qualify under the American born label you specified.

What is Gus Johnson? He's a high-energy, high-emotion kind of person. To me, those qualities are great for a fast-paced game. It wouldn't work in baseball. It kinda works in football, at times, but only in a late game, no-huddle kind of situation. I, like you, was none too impressed with his work on FOX last NCF season. It works very well in basketball, and I think his style could work well in hockey. Soccer, in this sense, is more like baseball. It's got a slower pace. Try picturing Gus trying to keep his excitement up calling a Barcelona game where Xavi and Iniesta are busy engaging in one of their games of keep away, where they pass back and forth 100 times, give or take. For slower-paced, methodical sports, keeping the emotion high isn't always possible, and it isn't very much in tune with the proceedings.

In general, I like Gus because I can tell he really enjoys his job, and I can appreciate that. I can also tell he really enjoys the game of soccer. That's more than can be said about a few announcers we've seen call soccer games in the States in the past few years. I just don't think he's adept for calling soccer games. Perhaps this will be different come the 2018 World Cup, although, as far as I'm concerned, club competition is significantly better than international competition today anyway.

spacer.png

That probably speaks more to the quality American soccer announcers, and/or the interest in soccer in this country, than to the quality of Gus Johnson's soccer play-by-play (kick-by-kick?) capabilities.

Martin Tyler and Ian Darke, to me, are the standard for soccer announcing. Excellent ability to intertwine even-keel commentary with appropriate emotion when the situation calls for it. Of course, neither of them qualify under the American born label you specified.

What is Gus Johnson? He's a high-energy, high-emotion kind of person. To me, those qualities are great for a fast-paced game. It wouldn't work in baseball. It kinda works in football, at times, but only in a late game, no-huddle kind of situation. I, like you, was none too impressed with his work on FOX last NCF season. It works very well in basketball, and I think his style could work well in hockey. Soccer, in this sense, is more like baseball. It's got a slower pace. Try picturing Gus trying to keep his excitement up calling a Barcelona game where Xavi and Iniesta are busy engaging in one of their games of keep away, where they pass back and forth 100 times, give or take. For slower-paced, methodical sports, keeping the emotion high isn't always possible, and it isn't very much in tune with the proceedings.

In general, I like Gus because I can tell he really enjoys his job, and I can appreciate that. I can also tell he really enjoys the game of soccer. That's more than can be said about a few announcers we've seen call soccer games in the States in the past few years. I just don't think he's adept for calling soccer games. Perhaps this will be different come the 2018 World Cup, although, as far as I'm concerned, club competition is significantly better than international competition today anyway.

Well set your DVR since Darke is going away from ESPN broadcasts for the EPL soon and will only work the EPL for BT Sport. Plus, Tyler is in his 70s. Unless NBCSN contracts with BT, then Darke could be on US airwaves for particular games. Martin Tyler was brought to ESPN in 2010. Where else are you going to go? Univision or FOX Desportes?

beIN sport has Phil Schoen/Andy Gray and Schoen is very good, JP Dellacamera was great growing up, but his fallout with ESPN after 2002 is another issue (Thrashers).

Again, FOX has yet to have somebody with him who can assist him in telling the story.

Well set your DVR since Darke is going away from ESPN broadcasts for the EPL soon and will only work the EPL for BT Sport. Plus, Tyler is in his 70s. Unless NBCSN contracts with BT, then Darke could be on US airwaves for particular games. Martin Tyler was brought to ESPN in 2010. Where else are you going to go? Univision or FOX Desportes?

beIN sport has Phil Schoen/Andy Gray and Schoen is very good, JP Dellacamera was great growing up, but his fallout with ESPN after 2002 is another issue (Thrashers).

Again, FOX has yet to have somebody with him who can assist him in telling the story.

Couple of things, Darke will be working for BT sport in the UK, but he tweeted the other day he'll still be working for ESPN in the US. Martin Tyler isn't quite 70, he's actually 67. I'd imagine he'll be around a little while longer yet. Has great enthusiasm and knowledge.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

With Mancini being sacked by Manchester City, the top 3 in this seasons EPL will all start next season with different coaches. That's pretty remarkable, at least in England, where coaches changes, at least traditionally, have been less regular than on the continent.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived