Who should get their number retired and by which team(s)?

Arts11

MLB

White Sox: Paul Konerko will have his number 14 retired by the Sox once he retires. He'll probably end up with 500 HR's and and close to 1600 rbi's by the time he retires.

Yankees: Derek Jeter- By the time he retires, the Yankees will have all single digit numbers retired. #2

Alex Rodriguez- He may have taken steroids, but I know the Yankees will retire his number. #13

Bernie Williams- He helped out the Yankees so much in his career, they're bound to retire number 51.

Joe Torre- Torre led the Bronx Bombers to Four World Championships, no doubter. #6

Mariners: Ichiro- One of ,if not the greatest hitter of this generation, Ichiro is a 10x all-star, MVP, Hit King, great base stealer, and stellar outfielder. #51

Ken Griffey Jr.- One of the best outfielders ever. Griffey hit over 600 HR's, and did just about anything on a baseball field. #24

Braves: Chipper Jones- Amazing third baseman, and one the best switch hitters ever. First ballot HOF. #10

Cardinals: Albert Pujols- Even though he left this offseason, he is still one of the best players in baseball history, and led the Cards to 2 World Championships. #5

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with the Rod Smith comment I don't think it would be unwarranted at all. 10K+ receiving yards all with the Broncos. I thought a very underrated player who didn't get the proper respect he deserved from the mainstream because he wasn't outspoken. I would say he has a halfway decent argument for the HOF, so certainly if Denver wanted to retire his number I don't see why there should be much protest over it.

I never thought about Rod Smith as a HOF candidate but you're right, I think a case could be made for him. I'm not sure I'd vote him in, but based on some of the other candidates who have been inducted recently, I definitely think a pretty good argument could be made for Rod Smith.

On topic: NFL teams are pretty stingy when it comes to retired numbers.

BB52Big.jpg

With a team like the Mets the only number that should be retired IMO is Tom Seaver. But if they want to have a honor ring type of thing where they have like Alfonzo, Gooden, Hodges, Koosman, PIazza, Strawberry, etc. I would be fine with that. I just look at the retired number as something that should be extremely difficult to earn.

The Mets actually have this. They've only retired three numbers (37-Casey Stengel, 14-Gil Hodges, 41-Tom Seaver). But they have a team Hall of Fame for guys like Gooden, Koosman, Strawberry, Carter, Mookie, John Franco, etc.

I think retiring 37 was a mistake. Retiring 41 was a no-brainer, and I have no problem with retiring 14 (Hodges managed the team in 1969 and died of a heart attack before the 1972 season). Assuming no steroid news comes out in the next few years, Piazza's 31 will be retired when he makes the Hall of Fame. I don't think the Mets should retire any other numbers yet. Maybe 5 for David Wright if he keeps breaking team records.

MLB retiring 42 was a unique gesture for an important figure in American history. The NHL retiring 99 cheapened the gesture. There will never be another Jackie Robinson, but there might be someone better than Gretzky in the next 50 years. Will he get his number retired by the league too?

Interesting I come across this thread today. I had the misfortune of listening to a couple dopes that sat behind me at the Rockies/Nationals game yesterday who were discussing this ver subject in regards to the Nats. One of the guys said that he believed the numbers 11, 34, and 37 will be retired by the Nats. In my head I thought it was too soon to even start that nonsense when talking about Harper and Strasburg. And in terms of Zimmerman, based on his career thusfar, you would not retire his number either. At this point, no Nats deserve it. It's just too young an organization. Now, if they really feel the need to retire numbers, start with 8 and 10 and honor the Expos players who had their numbers retired in Montreal.

Griffey comes to mind for me. Mariners defiantly will retire #24. The Reds might also retire #30. MIGHT. I always thought #15 should be retired for the Reds (George Foster) but that's just me. Also, I don't care if Pete Rose is banned from baseball, the Reds should officially retire #14. It's unofficially retired now so make it official! :cursing:

mcbqza.jpg

For the Rays, they should retire Fred McGriff (#24) and possibly in the future Carl Crawford (#13). Fred McGriff is part of the inaugural Rays team and has hit his 400th and 493rd Home Runs as a Ray. Carl Crawford has always been for many years as the face of the franchise and he set many Rays records in the process. Also, he was major part of the Rays recent playoff appearances and a pennant.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

-Ray Allen+??: he's been on so many teams with varying levels of success. He might have won his ring with the Celtics, but given the relatively short time he spent with them, and his recent jump to the Heat, it's possible he might not get his number retired anywhere.

If the Bucks are still around when Ray Allen retires, I can promise you they'll retire his number.

Does anybody remember if Dan Snyder's number was put out of commission by the Thrashers after his death? I can't seem to recall.

Yes, and the Jets have continued that tradition.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Does anybody remember if Dan Snyder's number was put out of commission by the Thrashers after his death? I can't seem to recall.

Do the new Jets claim any of the old Jets (Pre-Coyotes) history?

Not officially. The only number they have officially retired is 99. 9 and 25 are not retired, though Evander Kane did ask Bobby Hull for permission to wear 9.

Also, Snyder's number was never officially retired by the Thrashers or Jets, but it has been un-issued by the franchise since his death.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Not officially. The only number they have officially retired is 99. 9 and 25 are not retired, though Evander Kane did ask Bobby Hull for permission to wear 9.

Also, Snyder's number was never officially retired by the Thrashers or Jets, but it has been un-issued by the franchise since his death.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if the NHL would let them have the history as well depending on what happens to the Coyotes. Then again, I kinda doubt the new Jets ownership would care at this point.

This is not a popular opinion at all, but I would be fine if the Tigers retired #30 Magglio Ordonez. He was there when the Tigers turned around and he did send them to a World Series. This is highly unlikely, though.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

For the Rays, they should retire Fred McGriff (#24) and possibly in the future Carl Crawford (#13). Fred McGriff is part of the inaugural Rays team and has hit his 400th and 493rd Home Runs as a Ray. Carl Crawford has always been for many years as the face of the franchise and he set many Rays records in the process. Also, he was major part of the Rays recent playoff appearances and a pennant.

Was Fred McGriff so significant that nobody could ever do justice to his #24 for the Rays again? It's hard to say from afar, but it seems like retiring his number would be just for the sake of having a retired number - faking a history, if you will. Retiring a number should be reserved for those who achieved to the point where they are practically synonymous with their number on their team, and anyone else wearing that jersey wouldn't be right. You're taking a number out of circulation for ever - that's a pretty big deal. I'm not saying a guy has to hit 500 HR or be a HOFer - there's plenty of ways to make an impact without having those types of stats. But retiring a number because a guy who established himself elsewhere happened to hit his 400th HR with a team? That's kind of like the Rockies retiring Dale Murphy's number 3 because he played for them as a decrepit old man in their inaugural year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was Fred McGriff so significant that nobody could ever do justice to his #24 for the Rays again? It's hard to say from afar, but it seems like retiring his number would be just for the sake of having a retired number - faking a history, if you will. Retiring a number should be reserved for those who achieved to the point where they are practically synonymous with their number on their team, and anyone else wearing that jersey wouldn't be right. You're taking a number out of circulation for ever - that's a pretty big deal. I'm not saying a guy has to hit 500 HR or be a HOFer - there's plenty of ways to make an impact without having those types of stats. But retiring a number because a guy who established himself elsewhere happened to hit his 400th HR with a team? That's kind of like the Rockies retiring Dale Murphy's number 3 because he played for them as a decrepit old man in their inaugural year.

I'm in the same boat.

A team like the Rays shouldn't have any retired numbers because nobody has done enough to earn that distinction. Evan Longoria and David Price may get there one day, but as of now there's nobody.

Keeping in mind the Red Sox's number retirement requirements (10 years with team and HOF), there isonly one recent player that might qualify: David Ortiz. I think he'd be a lock if he makes the Hall.

Roger Clemens' 21 is unofficially retired, as it hasn't been issued since he left for Toronto. It'll probably stay that way as even if he makes the HOF, as he's still not too popular with the fan base.

There isn't anyone else off the top of my head I could possibly make a case for. Maybe Dwight Evans...but they'd have to invoke the Pesky Rule for that (waiving the HOF requirement). Maybe Pedro or Manny, but they'd have to waive the 10-year rule, and they've yet to do that.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The Angels desperately need to retire Tim Salmon and Troy Percival. The fact that ten years later and nobody from the championship team is up there is just bizarre. Hopefully this'll happen soon seeing as how the retired numbers just were updated from the generic ones to the current number font.

Plus, Maple Leafs precedent should mandate that Nick Adenhart be retired. However, no way in hell should that apply to Donnie Moore.

I wouldn't complain if Garret Anderson's #16 was retired either. Sorry, Hank Conger.

Keeping in mind the Red Sox's number retirement requirements (10 years with team and HOF), there isonly one recent player that might qualify: David Ortiz. I think he'd be a lock if he makes the Hall.

Roger Clemens' 21 is unofficially retired, as it hasn't been issued since he left for Toronto. It'll probably stay that way as even if he makes the HOF, as he's still not too popular with the fan base.

There isn't anyone else off the top of my head I could possibly make a case for. Maybe Dwight Evans...but they'd have to invoke the Pesky Rule for that (waiving the HOF requirement). Maybe Pedro or Manny, but they'd have to waive the 10-year rule, and they've yet to do that.

I would be alright with Evans. I think a good case could be made for be made for Evans to get into the HOF. I would say even moreso then Jim Rice.

Pedro I think the rule should be waived for. He had a Koufax like run with them. His 2000 season may be the greatest season ever by a pitcher when you compare his numbers to what the rest of the league was doing. Manny I'm not sure so about.

This is a homer pick, but the Knicks should retire Bernard King's #30. He was already long gone from the Knicks when I got into basketball but I kept hearing stories about him from the older folk. Also, he was my favorite player to play in (I think it was called) Bird vs Magic for Gameboy lol. As far as I'm aware, they don't really have any guidelines for number retirements (but I could be wrong).

Archived