NBA "Likely" going to advertisement on jerseys

roxfan00

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many players have their own logos these days... I wonder if you would ever see a team offer up the jersey logo spot to a player as additional compensation that may not fall under the salary cap? It would stroke the player's ego and help him build his "brand". If these sponsorships start going for $30M like Manchester gets, then probably not. If it's an extra $3M value that you can throw at a free agent? Maybe.

So many players have their own logos these days... I wonder if you would ever see a team offer up the jersey logo spot to a player as additional compensation that may not fall under the salary cap? It would stroke the player's ego and help him build his "brand". If these sponsorships start going for $30M like Manchester gets, then probably not. If it's an extra $3M value that you can throw at a free agent? Maybe.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying the team pay the players to put the player's personal logo on the jersey? Kind of backwards there.

heatadds.png

More proof the "sports" world is going to crap.

No, I disagree. As nice as it would be for the big leagues to avoid advertising on jerseys, if they have to do it, it would look acceptable like that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying the team pay the players to put the player's personal logo on the jersey? Kind of backwards there.

It would be a team offering a player less money on their salary, but giving them the ad space on the jersey to make up for it. So if LeBron wants $18M a year, the Heat would give him $15M but let him put his personal logo on the jersey. Like most other unique scenarios that people have brought up, the NBA will have a rule in place regarding what exactly teams can use the ad space for and there would probably be something concerning companies that players are involved with.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It would be a team offering a player less money on their salary, but giving them the ad space on the jersey to make up for it. So if LeBron wants $18M a year, the Heat would give him $15M but let him put his personal logo on the jersey. Like most other unique scenarios that people have brought up, the NBA will have a rule in place regarding what exactly teams can use the ad space for and there would probably be something concerning companies that players are involved with.

The player already has a personal advertisement: his name on the jersey and him WEARING the jersey. Why would they take less money just to put their logo on it when they're probably the most associated person with the jersey?

The player already has a personal advertisement: his name on the jersey and him WEARING the jersey. Why would they take less money just to put their logo on it when they're probably the most associated person with the jersey?

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just clarifying the idea that he had. And there's a difference between knowing who Lebron is and knowing about Lebron's shoe brand.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just clarifying the idea that he had. And there's a difference between knowing who Lebron is and knowing about Lebron's shoe brand.

It wasn't at you, I was just speaking in general.

But in regards to the shoe thing, I'd say, especially with basketball players, that their shoes are probably the most associated with a player after the jersey. Seems like every kid/teenager, the primary targeted market, knows and wants that player's shoes without needing to see a personal logo on the jersey. And as such, it wouldn't really be worth it to a player to forfeit $3 mil in guaranteed money to advertise something that isn't really going to increase an already successful product.

Look at the Jumpman logo. That logo represents Michael Jordan just as much if not more than his name on a Bulls jersey. That logo appears on shirts, sneakers, and a host of other products. That's probably a unique situation though, as I think Jordan may have had an ownership stake in the Jumpman brand, but if there's players who get a cut of their branded merchandise beyond their flat-rate endorsement deal, then it might make sense for a Lebron to have his "king" logo on there, just like any other business would.

Now I'm certain that this is a moot point because the CBA has to have provisions in it preventing teams from circumventing the cap by funneling in money to players other ways (even if a legitimate business transaction like a sponsorship.) The NFL does this. You can't sign a guy for 1M and then pay him 6M for other services. In this case, the team would be shorting the player and claiming that the player was taking the difference and purchasing the ad space, but even though this sounds legit, there is likely a "spirit of the rules" clause that would allow the commissioner to void the deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

After emailing the NBA offices, I got this email back today:

Dear Andrew:

Thank you for contacting the National Basketball Association to express your opposition to the idea of placing sponsor logos on jerseys. We understand your strong feelings on this issue and appreciate hearing from you. Our fans are extremely important to us, and we value what you have to say.

The NBA and its teams continue to evaluate the opportunity to add corporate branding to game jerseys. Jersey sponsorship is a well-established practice in sports leagues around the world. It is also not a new concept in American sports. NASCAR, Major League Soccer, professional golf, the WNBA, and the NBA Development League all feature sponsored uniforms.

The NBA is a global sports league; fans connect with our game in more than 200 countries and territories. As much as we value our traditions, the NBA also realizes that we, along with the rest of the world, need to change and adapt in order to remain competitive in a global marketplace.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We truly appreciate the passion you demonstrate for the NBA. Your feedback helps us as we work to enhance all aspects of our league.

Sincerely,

Chelsea

NBA Fan Relations

Makes me feel a little better actually, which I don't like.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Pure BS, as was expected. No, NBA teams don't need to bastardize their look for an extra $3 mil a year to be "competitive in a global marketplace". No fans in Europe or Asia are thinking, "I just can't take that league seriously without a cellphone company logo on the jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Dear Andrew:

Thank you for contacting the National Basketball Association to express your opposition to the idea of placing sponsor logos on jerseys. We understand your strong feelings on this issue and appreciate hearing from you. Our fans are extremely important to us, and we value what you have to say.

The NBA and its teams continue to evaluate the opportunity to add corporate branding to game jerseys. Jersey sponsorship is a well-established practice in sports leagues around the world. It is also not a new concept in American sports. NASCAR, Major League Soccer, professional golf, the WNBA, and the NBA Development League all feature sponsored uniforms.

The NBA is a global sports league; fans connect with our game in more than 200 countries and territories. As much as we value our traditions, the NBA also realizes that we, along with the rest of the world, need to change and adapt in order to remain competitive in a global marketplace.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We truly appreciate the passion you demonstrate for the NBA. Your feedback helps us as we work to enhance all aspects of our league.

Sincerely,

Chelsea

NBA Fan Relations

They fed you a bunch of BS. "Because NASCAR, MLS, WNBA and the NBDL (seriously? The NBDL?) do it, it makes sense"? They do it because they don't have the global awareness that the NBA does. The NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL are all basically what other leagues around the world strive to be. They don't need to bastardize their uniforms to keep the league afloat like the lesser leagues do.

(Though seeing the name Chelsea at the bottom does have me wondering if she's hot or not.)

No fans in Europe or Asia are thinking, "I just can't take that league seriously without a cellphone company logo on the jerseys.

Apparently that's what soccer fans in Kansas City think!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No fans in Europe or Asia are thinking, "I just can't take that league seriously without a cellphone company logo on the jerseys.

Apparently that's what soccer fans in Kansas City think!

Yeah but you find other ways to collect enough money to try and get someone good to come to Kansas City.

It wasn't at you, I was just speaking in general.

But in regards to the shoe thing, I'd say, especially with basketball players, that their shoes are probably the most associated with a player after the jersey. Seems like every kid/teenager, the primary targeted market, knows and wants that player's shoes without needing to see a personal logo on the jersey. And as such, it wouldn't really be worth it to a player to forfeit $3 mil in guaranteed money to advertise something that isn't really going to increase an already successful product.

I agree that this sort of thing probably won't be allowed, but doesn't the NBA have contract maximums that players are actually getting? (please forgive me if I'm wrong) If that's the case, I'd expect there to be a strong market in these kinds of "cash alternative" compensation. Something like the jersey sponsorship being given to LeBron would have a clear value, but things like a really nice locker room or flying to road games in a solid gold private jet would not count against the cap I'm guessing? Isn't this sort of the Mark Cuban philosophy? If I was a fan of the Heat, I would rather have LeBron's logo on the jersey than Nissan or McD's or HSBC.

heatadds.png

More proof the "sports" world is going to crap.

No, I disagree. As nice as it would be for the big leagues to avoid advertising on jerseys, if they have to do it, it would look acceptable like that.

But they don't have to do it. Apparently, the only way to fix a mismanaged business is to take in more revenue, because no one is going to wise up and quit giving people like Roy Hibbert and Jeremy Lin max deals and insane backloaded contracts, respectively. A smart business owner would try to cut operating costs somewhere instead of bringing in more revenue by doing something that 75% of his customers dislike. Player salaries is probably a long shot, but there are a lot of other bills that a team has to pay and a lot of other ways a team can make money.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Dear Andrew:

Sincerely,

Chelsea

NBA Fan Relations

They fed you a bunch of BS. "Because NASCAR, MLS, WNBA and the NBDL (seriously? The NBDL?) do it, it makes sense"? They do it because they don't have the global awareness that the NBA does. The NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL are all basically what other leagues around the world strive to be. They don't need to bastardize their uniforms to keep the league afloat like the lesser leagues do.

(Though seeing the name Chelsea at the bottom does have me wondering if she's hot or not.)

I got the same letter from Chelsea, and I'm not even an NBA fan. This opens the floodgates in all sports though, and that's terrible

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived