2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Yes, Carruth is a scumbag who deserves to rot in jail. At the very least.

But I don't know that there's a case to be made that his actions were conceivably influenced (if not outright caused) by his time playing in the NFL. Cold blooded and premediated murder doesn't fit the pattern of,CTE-influenced mental illness.

So yes, that's a tragic situation. But from the NFL's perspective, not analogous to the Belcher murder/suicide.

Huh? You think Belcher's daughter deserves to be taken care of because CTE might be involved? That's crazy. If that's established as a precedent, what's to stop living players who are disabled because of football injuries (of whatever kind) from demanding that their families be taken care of?

I had no idea your rationale for appreciating the NFL's gesture was a possible CTE connection. That makes no sense at all at this point. Maybe...maybe...down the line if a link is proven. But now? No.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Park may be proven prophets.

http://nfl.si.com/20...d=si_topstories

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFL’s competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in, essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFL’s competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in, essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

Wow...that's stupid. Does jack diddly for player safety and handicaps defenses by giving them short fields. And this from Mr. "Let's crash the opponent's victory formation".

Gosh Schiano's a tool.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, Carruth is a scumbag who deserves to rot in jail. At the very least.

But I don't know that there's a case to be made that his actions were conceivably influenced (if not outright caused) by his time playing in the NFL. Cold blooded and premediated murder doesn't fit the pattern of,CTE-influenced mental illness.

So yes, that's a tragic situation. But from the NFL's perspective, not analogous to the Belcher murder/suicide.

Huh? You think Belcher's daughter deserves to be taken care of because CTE might be involved? That's crazy. If that's established as a precedent, what's to stop living players who are disabled because of football injuries (of whatever kind) from demanding that their families be taken care of?

I had no idea your rationale for appreciating the NFL's gesture was a possible CTE connection. That makes no sense at all at this point. Maybe...maybe...down the line if a link is proven. But now? No.

Your mileage may vary.

Somebody get Lights Out some Bayer because the excitement is probably giving him a heart attack.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That makes...no sense.

There are many things I've come to like about Schiano, and how he's instantly changed the attitude around here, because it was poisonous for the last 1.5 months of 2011. Unfortunately, with the good comes the bad, and that includes the maniacal kneel-down plays, and rule suggestions like this.

Although, given how bad his team's pass defense is, maybe he just views it as a way of getting the ball back quicker.

spacer.png

According to San Diego UT, Coach Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith will be fired at end of the season. (per @pigskinboss Twitter account)

I'm not a Charger fan and I still hate Norv Turner. I am very glad he's given the boot as well as the GM.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

It's Rich McKay, not Rick, which is irrelevant but anyway...so they want to in essence bring the old schoolyard basketball "make 'em take 'em" to the NFL? Good grief. And how is a punt that much safer than a kickoff anyway?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's Rich McKay, not Rick, which is irrelevant but anyway...so they want to in essence bring the old schoolyard basketball "make 'em take 'em" to the NFL? Good grief. And how is a punt that much safer than a kickoff anyway?

Well I just copied and pasted straight from the article, so the error is on them.

But yeah this just scream bad idea. It would be like if baseball decided to cut the number of strikes need for a strikeout from 3-2 because too many pitchers were getting hurt. It completely changes a fundamental part of the game.

And I get all the stuff about wanting to make the game safer, but if safety is really that much of an issue for people, then don't play football or have your kids play football. You play football at any level higher then Pop Warner you are going to get hurt. There's just no way around it. When you have grown men bashing each other on every single play there are going to be serious short and long term injuries. Your not going to get around that fact without turning the NFL into flag football.

And I have no doubt all of this is being driven by the class action suit by former players against the NFL. Why else would you even consider making such a radical unpopular rule change unless you had a major financial incentive to do so? And I would say a lawsuit that could potentially result in several billion dollars being paid out is a pretty big financial incentive.

It sucks because its not driven by making the game better or more entertaining. Its being done because a league was not completely forthcoming in how damaging playing the sport was, actively fought against health pension plans for retired players and by players who either didn't fully understand or ignored the risks of playing such a sport.

A couple days late but I wanted to write my opinions.

I have a problem with Greenway telling fans to get "super drunk". I've been to vikings-bears games at the dome before and every time there has been crazy hostility. I'm just looking to have a good time and watch the game, and there are always some drunk douchebags that hassle us (for wearing bears :censored:) and ruin the game. They are always looking for a fight. They weren't even super drunk. just a little. ANd it ruins the experience for everyone who just wants to watch the game. The NFL should be disappointed in Greenway's words, because it really ruins the environment of their games.

It's gonna happen anyways. Just because Greenway stated the obvious, if fans want to be stupid, they'll be stupid. It's the reality in today's sporting events. Always a few jackasses.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Apparently it's disrespectful to be successful at offense.

The Patriots ate up 7:18 minutes of the clock on a 16-play drive that led to the field goal that put the game out of reach. However what really got the Dolphins collective goat was the fact 13 of the plays were runs, and six of them were run to the exact same hole, directly over the left guard.

"It really (ticked) me off," tackle Tony McDaniel said. "It was disrespectful to us to run the same play over and over and be successful."

Dallas Cowboys practice-squad linebacker Jerry Brown was killed in a one-car accident Saturday and teammate Josh Brent was charged with intoxication manslaughter.

Irving police spokesman John Argumaniz said the accident happened about 2:20 a.m. Saturday in the Dallas suburb. Brent was speeding when the vehicle hit a curb and flipped at least once, Argumaniz said.

Argumaniz says the 25-year-old Brown was found unresponsive at the scene and pronounced dead at a hospital.

The police spokesman says officers conducted a field sobriety test on Brent and arrested him. The charge was upgraded after Brown was pronounced dead.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived