2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

True...but you missed a part: an opportunistic defense that got hot in the first game of the postseason. Of course, I readily admit that wasn't really the best piece of evidence to use, either. Heh...I'm no expert. :P

Whatever the case, I stand by my prediction.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no magic formula for playoff success. If there was, every team would be doing the same thing. It really depends on the coaching knowing their players.

There are tons of examples of playing starters vs. resting starters, coming in with a winning or losing streak, etc., and having both bad and good postseason results.

All 6 AFC playoff spots have been locked up, but here's the scenarios for seeding:

Bengals are locked into the 6th seed and the Colts are locked into the 5th seed.

Remaining games:

Bengals host Ravens

Patriots host Dolphins

Texans at Colts

Broncos host Chiefs

Possible outcomes:

*If Ravens beats Bengals, and Patriots lose: (6) Bengals at (3) Ravens.

*If Broncos and Patriots win, and Texans lose: (6) Bengals at (3) Texans.

*If Broncos lose and Patriots wins: (6) Bengals at (3) Broncos.

*Any other combination: (6) Bengals at (3) Patriots.

*Baltimore can't do better than 3 seed.

As a Bengals fan, do you care if they win?

Obviously I do. I can't remember their last playoff win. But, the way they clinched their spot in the playoffs was about the best possible way it could have happened so If they lose in the first round, which I'll admit is likely, then I won't be completely upset about it. They already gave me a great moment yesterday.

Now, with the way their defense is playing I think they have a shot at knocking off anyone in the AFC.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant, seeing as the Bengals are locked into the 6 seed, do you care if they win in week 17?

Considering that the Bengals would be putting themselves in a position to play a more difficult opponent in the postseason if they do beat the Ravens in week 17.

The Vikings' win on Sunday officially eliminated the Saints, so here's my Christmas dinner:

eating-crow.jpg

I really thought they'd at least make the playoffs, especially considering that the beginning of the season was identical to '07 and I figured they'd have learned how to handle it better. Instead it looks like the same script all over again. Oh well. As I've said for all but one of the 40+ seasons I've been a Saints fan, there's always next year. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yeah...especially now that that whole Mayan Apocalypse thing has been debunked. B)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

All 6 AFC playoff spots have been locked up, but here's the scenarios for seeding:

Bengals are locked into the 6th seed and the Colts are locked into the 5th seed.

Remaining games:

Bengals host Ravens

Patriots host Dolphins

Texans at Colts

Broncos host Chiefs

Possible outcomes:

*If Ravens beats Bengals, and Patriots lose: (6) Bengals at (3) Ravens.

*If Broncos and Patriots win, and Texans lose: (6) Bengals at (3) Texans.

*If Broncos lose and Patriots wins: (6) Bengals at (3) Broncos.

*Any other combination: (6) Bengals at (3) Patriots.

*Baltimore can't do better than 3 seed.

As a Bengals fan, do you care if they win?

Obviously I do. I can't remember their last playoff win. But, the way they clinched their spot in the playoffs was about the best possible way it could have happened so If they lose in the first round, which I'll admit is likely, then I won't be completely upset about it. They already gave me a great moment yesterday.

Now, with the way their defense is playing I think they have a shot at knocking off anyone in the AFC.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant, seeing as the Bengals are locked into the 6 seed, do you care if they win in week 17?

Considering that the Bengals would be putting themselves in a position to play a more difficult opponent in the postseason if they do beat the Ravens in week 17.

Oh gotcha. I think I just want them to play a strong game against Baltimore to keep their confidence up and their momentum going towards the playoffs. Under Marvin Lewis they've never gone into the playoffs on a hot streak like this so I'd like to keep that going. In 2005 they lost their last two games after clinching the division, blew the first round bye opportunity and then Carson Palmer blew out his knee in the wildcard round. In 2009 they played the JV against the Jets in week 17 knowing they'd face them the next week. The next week they played flat and looked like a team that had taken a week off. Last year they played Baltimore in week 17 like the game didn't matter and got blown out by Houston in the first round.

I want them to play this game like it matters so they can maintain whatever mindset they've got right now. Who they play in the first round doesn't matter because any of the 4 teams they'll face is a good team.

And Buc, I like your pick, but I just don't see this team with Marvin Lewis running the show making a Super Bowl run. He makes too many head-scratching coaching moves to win deep into the playoffs and at some point one of his silly decisions will cost them. It's fitting he's in Cincinnati because he's basically football's Dusty Baker.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think the Bengals "took the game off" against Baltimore last season, because there was still a chance they could miss the playoffs if they had lost. I think they would've been knocked out if both the Raiders and Broncos had won their games (there would've been a few 9-7 teams: CIN, TEN, OAK, DEN). They didn't clinch until Denver lost their game, and at that point, the Bengals were still very much in the game with the Ravens. Especially during the 3rd quarter when it looked like there was a potential momentum swing, the crowd was hellacious.

I wouldn't compare Week 17 2009 with Week 17 2011.

spacer.png

Not that it matters because the pro bowl is a joke, but Victor Cruz (82 catches, 1,040 yds, 9 TDs) got in over Dez Bryant (88 catches, 1,311 yds, 12 TDs). In fact, Cruz was 14th in the league in receiving yards and 12th in receptions. Half guys who made it won't end up going so it'll even itself out in the end though.

Richard Sherman is the biggest snub. The guy could be an All-Pro CB with his performance this season.

I fear this was a precaution in his case his suspension is upheld.

The league did make a rule banning roid users after Lights Out made it in 2006.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I would like to applaud the large and loyal St. Louis Rams fanbase for rallying the votes to get Chris Long past Jason Pierre-Paul and Julius Peppers and Cortland Finnegan past the Bears corners and Patrick Peterson.

Oh.

/But we got Furcal and Beltran on the All Star Team!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not that it matters because the pro bowl is a joke, but Victor Cruz (82 catches, 1,040 yds, 9 TDs) got in over Dez Bryant (88 catches, 1,311 yds, 12 TDs). In fact, Cruz was 14th in the league in receiving yards and 12th in receptions. Half guys who made it won't end up going so it'll even itself out in the end though.

Don't worry, Dez will be All-Pro. He's been having a fantastic year. He's finally living up to his hype.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

and why should we care about who makes all-pro again?

Why should we care about anything? We're all going to die eventually, right?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Becoming an NFL All-Pro jumped the shark when David Garrard was named to the Pro Bowl after six or seven QBs in front of him passed on going.

The year before, your guy BrettFavre got in over Rivers, who had the most TDs in the league in 2008.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Becoming an NFL All-Pro jumped the shark when David Garrard was named to the Pro Bowl after six or seven QBs in front of him passed on going.

Selection to the Pro Bowl and being named to the All-Pro Team are separate processes. First and Second Team All Pro is much more select; more like the starting 11 and is used much more during the debate during Super Bowl week for the HoF to describe a player's excellence.

As flawed the All Pro vote might be, since a Fullback is still selected by voters; it is not as flawed as the Pro Bowl where KC can have five players on the roster.

It's a universal consensus that Pro Bowls don't mean jack squat :censored: , but the players sure love those bonuses.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

and about a good ten years before that, Trent Dilfer got named to the NFC squad via the same process.

Talk about hopping over hammerheads.

Archived