2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Deadspin touched on this today vis a vis the replacement refs:
People try to frame business struggles like this in moral terms (see Mr. Gregggggg below). The refs are greedy! They only work part-time! They have other jobs! People talk about :censored: like this as if it matters. As if having one job means you don't have the right to try and get more money at another job. That's complete bull :censored:. This is America. If you have a unique skill set, and you think can leverage more money out of someone who wants your services, there's NOTHING wrong with that. If you think the NFL will eventually cave simply because the league doesn't want its brand to suffer from all the :censored:ty refereeing, you might lose, but you're not being un-American. There's nothing more American than trying to squeeze other mother:censored:ers for every last penny. There are no "fair" offers. There is only the best offer, and it's your goddamn right to see if you can get it. There's this bizarre mentality that there are only, like, six productive people in the country, all of whom are billionaires. They rest of us simply make money at their behest. Forget 47 percent. I'm talking about virtually everyone being devalued. I don't really know how it came to that, because it's so innately :censored:ed up. If you think you have a skill worth leveraging against the Ginger Hammer and his big stupid face, you have every right to see it through.

Bolding mine. He's right too, except we can add on that everyone else is overpaid. Each person believes that he himself has earned every cent he owns.

Drew Magary is generally a poor writer who over-relies on particularly artless profanity, but the sentiment here is spot-on. You, the person who says they should "take what they get and like it," don't think you yourself should take what you can get and like it. Why not wish everyone the best in their efforts to be paid fairly, at least to the extent that their efforts don't hinder your own? God, look at me. Solidarity Forever. This economy is tough on everyone.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen a second of this game tonight, thanks to MLB.

Is this score indicative of how the game has gone? Giants are absolutely slaying the Panthers. The type of performance that reminds you of why the Giants are the reigning Super Bowl champions.

The score isn't even doing the Giants justice. They have been beyond dominant.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

How in the world is that considered being a bitch? It's perfectly reasonable for him to have a desire to get paid what he thinks he's worth, and by placing the tag on him, he feels that he's missing out on the signing bonus that a new deal would bring, as well as risking injury and only getting paid for one year as opposed to being on a big deal.

For anyone who thinks that athletes are bitches for holding out and wanting good deals, put yourself in their shoes. If any of us had this kind of leverage at our jobs, we'd probably try to get paid as much as we could too.

Deadspin touched on this today vis a vis the replacement refs:

People try to frame business struggles like this in moral terms (see Mr. Gregggggg below). The refs are greedy! They only work part-time! They have other jobs! People talk about :censored: like this as if it matters. As if having one job means you don't have the right to try and get more money at another job. That's complete bull :censored:. This is America. If you have a unique skill set, and you think can leverage more money out of someone who wants your services, there's NOTHING wrong with that. If you think the NFL will eventually cave simply because the league doesn't want its brand to suffer from all the :censored:ty refereeing, you might lose, but you're not being un-American. There's nothing more American than trying to squeeze other mother:censored:ers for every last penny. There are no "fair" offers. There is only the best offer, and it's your goddamn right to see if you can get it. There's this bizarre mentality that there are only, like, six productive people in the country, all of whom are billionaires. They rest of us simply make money at their behest. Forget 47 percent. I'm talking about virtually everyone being devalued. I don't really know how it came to that, because it's so innately :censored:ed up. If you think you have a skill worth leveraging against the Ginger Hammer and his big stupid face, you have every right to see it through.

Bolding mine. He's right too, except we can add on that everyone else is overpaid. Each person believes that he himself has earned every cent he owns.

I apply this post when I think about the NHL lockout.

Goodell wasn't sitting in his office, stroking a white Persian cat musing to himeself about the ways he could screw over the New Orleans Saints in 2012.

Your team did something wrong, they got punished. That's all it was. As a Chargers fan I can sympathize with watching your team not live up to expectations and start off slow, but please stop with the victim shtick.

There's no victim shtick. Did you miss the part where I said I don't blame Goodell? Yes, they got punished, but white Persian or no, he had to know the punishment would make it difficult at best for them to do well in 2012. If I have any problem at all with Goodell it's that the league could have, and should have, mined the computers of all 32 teams to see what everybody else was saying in their meetings, and whether anybody else was doing this. That would have been a fair and thorough investigation. But they didn't want to kick that anthill and I'm sure the reason why is that they at least suspected many more teams were doing the same thing. I think the problem most fans have is that the Saints were singled out when players and coaches alike around the NFL commented that this kind of thing was fairly common.

But at least I know how to find out whether you, Lights Out, and Cujo are paying attention. You guys are reliable. Good to know I can count on you whenever I need a foot in the a**. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

On 9/21/2012 at 11:35 PM, Cujo said:

Bruce Bochy later returned the favor. No word yet on if he'll be fined. ^_^

Β 

Β 

Well let's see. The Giants hat he should have been wearing includes no manufacturer advertisement...so I guess it depends on whether the wrong logo is included on an un-pictured part of the 'Niners hat.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Is no one else watching the Giants game? I know it's only the Panthers, but this has been a impressive showing by the defending champs. Brown and Barden have been great too! What a great surprise for Giants fans!

I watched it intermittently and am happy to see unheard of guys step in for those who were injured.

Speaking of hurt, more Dmen were injured last night, however, they have more time to get healthy for the showdown with the Eagles.

Also, did anyone else notice(pardon the Caps Lock) THAT THE ENTIRE NFL NETWORK PANEL PICKED CAROLINA TO WIN OVER THE GIANTS LAST NIGHT???

Is no one else watching the Giants game? I know it's only the Panthers, but this has been a impressive showing by the defending champs. Brown and Barden have been great too! What a great surprise for Giants fans!

I watched it intermittently and am happy to see unheard of guys step in for those who were injured.

Speaking of hurt, more Dmen were injured last night, however, they have more time to get healthy for the showdown with the Eagles.

Also, did anyone else notice(pardon the Caps Lock) THAT THE ENTIRE NFL NETWORK PANEL PICKED CAROLINA TO WIN OVER THE GIANTS LAST NIGHT???

I picked Carolna to beat the Giants as well.

The Giants are just one of those teams where you have no idea what team is going to show up. They came in week one at home not looking good against the Cowboys and barely beat a subpar Bucs team in week two. So I don't know if anyone could have seen them going into Carolina and just demolishing the Panthers. The win wasn't surprising but the score definitely was.

The Giants have taken over for the Eagles in the Jekyll-and-Hyde reaction department.

"Eli Manning: mere Hall of Famer, or best athlete ever?"

"THIS TEAM DOESN'T CARE FIRE EVERYONE FIVE TIMES IMMEDIATELY"

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

The Giants have taken over for the Eagles in the Jekyll-and-Hyde reaction department.

"Eli Manning: mere Hall of Famer, or best athlete ever?"

"THIS TEAM DOESN'T CARE FIRE EVERYONE FIVE TIMES IMMEDIATELY"

Most fans overeact to everything. But the I can sympathize with Giants fans feeling that way a bit more because this has been a jekll and hyde team for the past few years.

9-7=Super Bowl ring, 12-4=bounced in the first round. That's them in a nutshell. They should be cemented amongst the NFL's elite, but there's questions every year with them in part because of how inconsistent they are.

Archived