Penn State considering uniform overhaul

kajeet

So assuming that they're not going to be very good for a while, would they really want to have a pro combat (that name makes no sense, BTW) uniform? Isn't that something that teams usually bust out when they're on nat'l tv and want extra attention? Wouldn't seem to make much sense to do that and then get worked over, unless they do it for one of the early-season games against the Sisters of the Poor club team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7. I never thought I"d say this, but I like the idea of names on the jerseys for at least the duration of the punishments. It's like a "yeah we're hosed, but now you're really representing yourself out there and not just a piece of the machine so take pride in that" (or something.) That being said, scandal or no scandal, my opinion on the PSU uniform has been made before.

That we need PSU's ultra simple design just as much as we need the Oregons and Boise States right?

I agree with that, I just don't think PSU changing things up will hurt the dynamic in the wider range of NCAA uniform styles. PSU could still change things up (player names, maybe some stripes and a helmet logo) and still have fairly traditional uniforms. Also, you'd still have schools like Texas, Notre Dame, and Alabama with super simple/traditional uniforms to balance out the Oregons and Boise States of the world.

7. I never thought I"d say this, but I like the idea of names on the jerseys for at least the duration of the punishments. It's like a "yeah we're hosed, but now you're really representing yourself out there and not just a piece of the machine so take pride in that" (or something.) That being said, scandal or no scandal, my opinion on the PSU uniform has been made before.

That we need PSU's ultra simple design just as much as we need the Oregons and Boise States right?

I agree with that, I just don't think PSU changing things up will hurt the dynamic in the wider range of NCAA uniform styles. PSU could still change things up (player names, maybe some stripes and a helmet logo) and still have fairly traditional uniforms. Also, you'd still have schools like Texas, Notre Dame, and Alabama with super simple/traditional uniforms to balance out the Oregons and Boise States of the world.

Right, I think that PSU is the standard for simple, even more so than those other schools.

But also, I think that a uniform overhaul would actually hurt them in their efforts to recover, because any big change would actually serve as an instant visual reminder of the scandal for years to come (which I understand that some people would think is necessary.) Stay the course, and make the scandal a part of their history, not a separate history.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With the cluster of stuff that usually adorns the back of a football helmet, I think they could replace something with the blue ribbon. Maybe they wear the patch for this season, and then move it to the helmet in place of the number, or the flag, or something, in subsequent years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Im almost certain some changes, other than just the ribbon and the name on the back. I think they are trying to drive this program into a different direction. Its almost as if they are trying to forget JoPa's legacy (again just almost, they could never forget). When I saw the statue go down, I knew Penn State wasn't fooling around, and that there were going to be major changes.

UnitedStatesofCollegeFootball-5.png

With the cluster os stuff that goes on the back of a football helmet, I think they could replace something with the blue ribbon. Maybe they wear the patch for this season, and then move it to the helmet in place of the number or the American flag, or something, in subsequent years.

Is the american flag mandatory or is it just that teams put it there because everyone else does and they'll be branded as unpatriotic if they don't?

Change the uniform and help wash away some of the disgrace this program has brought on itself!!! I know it won't help any of the helpless distraught victims of this once proud college's reputation. There really shouldn't be any connection to Paterno he fore-fitted all that he accomplished by his looking the other way and hiding what was going on!! I know it really has noting to do with current team but the Trustees are still acting foolish and this needs to stop!! Change everything as far as I'm concerned because the system failed and Paterno and everyone who covered this up should have no say or thought on keeping a tradition. Penn State's will not be forgiven any time soon! What happened here truly is unforgivable!! I used to admire and have a true fondness of Paterno and Penn State but I no longer feel that way!! I can't believe anybody with any sense of morality and common sense who followed and rooted for Penn State can't feel anything but betrayed by Paterno and hierarchy of Penn State while this was happening. Try and wipe slate clean but it will always have that residual of dust on it!! Sorry but anybody really should not bemoaning any punishment received and probably be relieved the death sentence was handed out!!

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

Change the uniform and help wash away some of the disgrace this program has brought on itself!!! I know it won't help any of the helpless distraught victims of this once proud college's reputation. There really shouldn't be any connection to Paterno he fore-fitted all that he accomplished by his looking the other way and hiding what was going on!! I know it really has noting to do with current team but the Trustees are still acting foolish and this needs to stop!! Change everything as far as I'm concerned because the system failed and Paterno and everyone who covered this up should have no say or thought on keeping a tradition. Penn State's will not be forgiven any time soon! What happened here truly is unforgivable!! I used to admire and have a true fondness of Paterno and Penn State but I no longer feel that way!! I can't believe anybody with any sense of morality and common sense who followed and rooted for Penn State can't feel anything but betrayed by Paterno and hierarchy of Penn State while this was happening. Try and wipe slate clean but it will always have that residual of dust on it!! Sorry but anybody really should not bemoaning any punishment received and probably be relieved the death sentence was handed out!!

Was there a sale on exclamation points?

Was there a sale on exclamation points?

With the cluster os stuff that goes on the back of a football helmet, I think they could replace something with the blue ribbon. Maybe they wear the patch for this season, and then move it to the helmet in place of the number or the American flag, or something, in subsequent years.

Is the american flag mandatory or is it just that teams put it there because everyone else does and they'll be branded as unpatriotic if they don't?

I'm 90% sure it's a patriotism issue, not an NCAA mandate. Right after 9/11, the NCAA told everyone they could put the flag on, and teams just never took them off.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Lost the "right" to wear a uniform without sleeve and collar trim? Really? Watching you deteriorate into an irrational loon over this PSU thing has been pretty sad. It's one thing to believe that they should scrap the traditional uniforms so as to separate themselves from a "false" era, it's another thing to say they don't have a "right" to wear something. For a while you were nothing more than a well-spoken troll in the other thread, then pretty much just a troll. Now, though, youve proved that you have nothing to add other than your agenda. A "right" to a trimless uniform? Come on, man.

Lost the "right" to wear a uniform without sleeve and collar trim? Really? Watching you deteriorate into an irrational loon over this PSU thing has been pretty sad. It's one thing to believe that they should scrap the traditional uniforms so as to separate themselves from a "false" era, it's another thing to say they don't have a "right" to wear something. For a while you were nothing more than a well-spoken troll in the other thread, then pretty much just a troll. Now, though, youve proved that you have nothing to add other than your agenda. A "right" to a trimless uniform? Come on, man.

Believe it or not, people are kind of really, really upset about what Penn State did (or didn't do, as the case is). Though the "lost the right to wear" plain jerseys is a bit on the ridiculous side, I get what Goth's saying. The plain uniforms, though they proceeded Paterno, are associated with him and his legacy. Now that the legacy's been rightfully torn down, a few changes to the uniforms wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to help distance the "new" Penn State program from the one Paterno became synonymous with.

Even beyond the despicable acts that will always be associated with every aspect of JoePa's time at Penn State, including the uniforms, Penn State should change their look simply because they look like a low-budget Pop Warner team at practice.

In a vacuum Penn State's uniforms were fine. Not every team has to have three helmets, four jerseys, and four sets of pants. Having uniforms on the other side of the spectrum is needed. That being said, the scandals really necessitate the need to change. Do they need to go Oregon? No, as much as some people here want that to happen (and really, it's kind of sad, to use this scandal of things to justify some uniform-based design "ideology"). But some stripes and a logo would go a long way towards differentiating the program in the post-Paterno era.

Archived