UFL - Ain't Dead Yet?

Shizznick

Hartford folded last year, so they're back down to 4 teams, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hartford folded last year, so they're back down to 4 teams, right?

The article teases 5 and mentions Hartford as one of them. I don't know how solid his info is.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Looks like the league has since put up a placeholder page, and it only lists Vegas, Omaha, Sacramento, and Virginia.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The article teases 5 and mentions Hartford as one of them. I don't know how solid his info is.

I can all but guarantee there will be no Hartford team. Although I bet there is a bunch of Hartford equipment sitting unused in a warehouse somewhere.

The UFL is a mess. It was a mess three years ago, and it will be a mess this year.

I can all but guarantee there will be no Hartford team. Although I bet there is a bunch of Hartford equipment sitting unused in a warehouse somewhere.

The UFL is a mess. It was a mess three years ago, and it will be a mess this year.

..... seriously, why is this still around?

DAMN RIGHT! But the "new" USFL should not think any higher.

This means very little for its survival. In April, the already millions in debt UFL was sued for not paying their worker's comp insurer for over $3M.

CBSSports Network is also in 30M less households than their previous cable network, Versus dba NBC Sports Network. Thursday nights games on Versus did not have 80,000 households. Plus, CBSSN not measured by Neilsen.

From AdWeek:

Beginning Sept. 19, the cable network will air two UFL games per week (Wednesday and Friday nights) for the duration of the league?s eight-week season.

The UFL last year lost its national broadcast platforms, as NBCUniversal?s Versus (now the NBC Sport Network) and Mark Cuban?s HD Net (now AXS TV) stopped carrying the games before the season began. A handful of games were offered in local markets via Comcast SportsNet.

Versus and HDNet had offered live coverage of UFL games during the league?s first two seasons (2009 and 2010). The UFL?s ratings were modest at best?according to Nielsen, the first game (California Redwoods-Las Vegas Locomotives) drew merely 205,000 viewers...

The ratings picture didn?t get any prettier in 2010. Over the course of eight Thursday night UFL games, Versus averaged just 78,000 viewers.

The loss of the UFL?s national TV partners was complicated by a financial crisis. In January 2011, Cuban sued league co-founder Bill Hambrecht for nonpayment of a $5 million startup loan, and later that summer, it was announced that the Hartford Colonials franchise would be shuttered, reducing the number of active clubs to four.

The final two weeks of a planned seven-week regular season schedule were canceled and the

was moved up to Oct. 21.

While no one is expecting NFL-size ratings for the UFL, the deal gives CBS Sports Network more live sports content to go along with its coverage of Major League Lacrosse and Professional Bull Riding. At any rate, the network does not offer ratings guarantees to its advertisers, as its deliveries are not officially measured by Nielsen.

I've been a UFL fan since the first season in 2009. While they've screwed up alot of the off the field stuff, the on field product has been great. It easily has the best overall talent of any alternative pro football league I've ever seen. If NFL talent is a 100, I'd say UFL talent level is about an 85. Unfortanetly many people have the attitude that anything that's not the NFL is garbage. So the UFL catches heat for that reason alone.

I'm an overall football fan. Doesn't matter what level it is. If there is a game on TV I will watch and enjoy it.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

"The Nighthawks? last game at TD Ameritrade came last October, a hastily arranged ?consolation? contest against Sacramento after the UFL decided to shorten its season from six to four games and have Virginia and Las Vegas play for the title."

This reminds me of how the XFL changed its scoring system in the middle of the playoffs. We saw how that went.

rATMcmK.png

• 2 months later...

"The United Football League said today it is postponing the second half of the 2012 season until the spring of 2013, when it plans to complete the remaining four games and stage its championship game. The UFL would then return to a fall scheudle later in 2013.

UFL founder and chairman William Hambrecht made the announcement Saturday morning."

Yeah this is league is almost dead.

baltimoreravens.png

I find it unbelievable that in the middle of the season, the league's website (which should be one of the main platforms for promoting the game) would just be a placeholder with the 4 team logos on it. I mean, do one of the league executives not have a nephew who could be paid $250 to spend a Saturday afternoon cobbling together at least a basic league website?

Given its struggles, I find it amazing that the UFL has lasted this long. I hope they make a go of it, but the signs are not terribly positive. One thing I've wondered about the UFL though, is why don't minor leagues start out in a specific region and build up a following before attempting to go national? This way you keep some of the costs in check and build up critical mass in an area. Even just limiting it to the western half of the USA would seem to me a better strategy than haphazardly giving a franchise to any city where someone is willing to pay for one.

I find it unbelievable that in the middle of the season, the league's website (which should be one of the main platforms for promoting the game) would just be a placeholder with the 4 team logos on it. I mean, do one of the league executives not have a nephew who could be paid $250 to spend a Saturday afternoon cobbling together at least a basic league website?

Given its struggles, I find it amazing that the UFL has lasted this long. I hope they make a go of it, but the signs are not terribly positive. One thing I've wondered about the UFL though, is why don't minor leagues start out in a specific region and build up a following before attempting to go national? This way you keep some of the costs in check and build up critical mass in an area. Even just limiting it to the western half of the USA would seem to me a better strategy than haphazardly giving a franchise to any city where someone is willing to pay for one.

If I call correctly, didn't the NBA D-League start out this way? It was a half dozen or so unaffiliated minor league teams situated mostly in the U.S. Southeast before branching into the Southwest and beyond.

If I call correctly, didn't the NBA D-League start out this way? It was a half dozen or so unaffiliated minor league teams situated mostly in the U.S. Southeast before branching into the Southwest and beyond.

Yes, that's correct regarding the NBA. However, the League started to heavily invest into the D-League as they saw it as opportunity to not only bring semi-professional basketball to mid-market cities that would most likely never get an NBA team, but for the 30 teams' newly acquired talent, aka undrafted free agents and sub-par rookies, to refine and tweak their skills in order to become NBA-caliber players.

The UFL's approach has been ass backwards ever since it was announce as a football league. As the title of this thread asks, I'm dumbfounded that this League ain't dead yet.

Archived