2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

Is it weird that as traditionalist as I am on baseball uniforms, with preferring no vests, no white/grey caps, cities on all road greys, that I do like the idea of practice caps and slightly out-of-the-box practice jerseys? I actually like the piping and side panels as ways to show off the color palettes and to differentiate from in-game alternates. And logos like the A with the tomahawk as a crossbar and single cardinal on a bat are nice, as long as they're kept out of games that count.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it weird that as traditionalist as I am on baseball uniforms, with preferring no vests, no white/grey caps, cities on all road greys, that I do like the idea of practice caps and slightly out-of-the-box practice jerseys? I actually like the piping and side panels as ways to show off the color palettes and to differentiate from in-game alternates. And logos like the A with the tomahawk as a crossbar and single cardinal on a bat are nice, as long as they're kept out of games that count.

I think that its weird to be a traditionalist and be against things that ARE very old customs that just went away for a while. Red Sox had a white cap for the first 30 years of their history. Yankees had a white pintriped cap in the 1910's. Cincinnati Reds had vests going back to the 50's. Not trying to single you out but sometimes I think its odd when people say traditionalist they really are just picking an arbitrary time in history to start counting as the beginning. For example, you might be a calling yourself a traditionalist because you prefer the styles of the 1960s... but there was 100 years of tradition before that. /rant

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I like white hats in some instances, not all.

1) It's a classic look, reminiscent of the early 20's century.

2) While baseball hats are one of the few places on uniforms that have color, they are all too often in the team's darkest color for the hell of it. White caps every now and then brighten things up a little and provide a little more contrast.

3) It looks incredible when paired with a vest, particularly when the pants are hiked up. It just looks right to have a vest, short pants, and a hat all in white with the socks, sleeves and the brim all in the same color.

While I think a white cap would be weak as a primary cap in today's day and age, I do like the look. However, as always, don't bother unless you're going to make matching batting helmets.

I have to agree with all of this. Well said, Roman. There's a lot of teams that would look nice with a white alternate hat and vest.

I think Miami would look good with a white cap, orange bill on their home uniforms and possibly the black alts if the bill is black

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I think that its weird to be a traditionalist and be against things that ARE very old customs that just went away for a while. Red Sox had a white cap for the first 30 years of their history. Yankees had a white pintriped cap in the 1910's. Cincinnati Reds had vests going back to the 50's. Not trying to single you out but sometimes I think its odd when people say traditionalist they really are just picking an arbitrary time in history to start counting as the beginning. For example, you might be a calling yourself a traditionalist because you prefer the styles of the 1960s... but there was 100 years of tradition before that. /rant

Well, I don't think anyone who is conservative in his baseball uniform tastes wants guys to dress like Honus Wagner.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm the same way. I think that BP gear is the place where teams should be allowed to experiment with their identity.

So, unless I am missing something, this is the "new" Reds away jersey with the very subtle change. The sleeve piping is now moved down to the bottom of the sleeve. Anything else I am missing?

pMLB2-5669327dt.jpg

Is that just the lighting or is the C logo patch grey instead of white?

i don't think thats the new jersey

pMLB2-13325006_alternate1_dt.jpg

That can't be it either with the 2012 AS game patch and a horrible photoshop job

Go A's!

I'm the same way. I think that the BP gear is the place where teams should be allowed to experiment with their identity.

Same here. I don't think most teams take enough risks with their BPs. Use them to experiment, and if something really works, BPs are cleared for game use, so try it in a game. If it still works, consider a switch, whether it's adding an alt or building a new identity around it.

So, unless I am missing something, this is the "new" Reds away jersey with the very subtle change. The sleeve piping is now moved down to the bottom of the sleeve. Anything else I am missing?

pMLB2-5669327dt.jpg

If all they did was move the stripes down to the sleeve cuff, then I love it. Looks like an updated version of this:

122711-Larkin-Barry-12.jpg

just drop the black in the current uniforms and we're getting close to baseball uniform perfection.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If all they did was move the stripes down to the sleeve cuff, then I love it. Looks like an updated version of this:

122711-Larkin-Barry-12.jpg

just drop the black in the current uniforms and we're getting close to baseball uniform perfection.

I am on board with you. The only thing that dissapoints me is the inclusion of the dreaded Los Rojos jersey. I would prefer my Reds to only have White homes and Grey roads, but if this additional jersey is needed, why did they take a step backwards and include double piping w/black? I thought they were headed in the right direction.

pMLB2-13846926dt.jpg

I don't know. I don't think Cincinnati even has a large hispanic population.

I'm more concerned that the Los Rojos jersey's black-white-black piping will sneak into the red alternate (which I already dislike especially now that it has moved from Sunday home jersey to day game home jersey).

The Reds are a Red-white-black team right now. I don't want them to go back to being a red-black-white team. If that makes any sense.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm more concerned that the Los Rojos jersey's black-white-black piping will sneak into the red alternate (which I already dislike especially now that it has moved from Sunday home jersey to day game home jersey).

The Reds are a Red-white-black team right now. I don't want them to go back to being a red-black-white team. If that makes any sense.

I have the same concerns, those late 90's/early 2000's jerseys where they were wearing the black t shirts under their vests were hideous.

72477573_display_image.jpg?1292685396

Also, the Los does have a black drop shadow on the actual jersey as you can see.

rojos.jpg

I'm assuming I'm in agreement with you when it comes to styles, I'm just commenting on using the word "traditional" I think what we both probably like are styles that don't veer too off from something that seems timeless. Don't give into fads. Design a logo/uniform that would look good decades ago, but still can look modern if it needs to be.

Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox (home), teams like that I feel pull this off really well. Their uniforms are clean, colorful, less-is-more... And I can see them wearing them forever if they needed to.. but they don't look outdated like some teams can (dare I say Yankees? -- even as a huge fan sometimes I worry their uniforms are really bland)

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived