What would you name each stadium/arena?

The Six

If you could rename every arena in sports, and get rid of the corporate branding, what names would you choose?

A few I'd choose

Honda Center - The Pond of Anaheim

HP Pavilion - Shark Tank

AT&T Park - Willie Mays Park

Petco Park - Gaslamp Stadium

Staples Center - The Michael Jackson Center

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philadelphia - Since the ballpark was financed by taxpayers, call it Citizens' Park. You can still use the Citizens Bank logo and typography, just take "Bank" out.

Houston - Union Station Grounds

Washington - Capital Diamond

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

TD Garden = Boston Garden

Gillette Stadium = The Stadium at Patriot Place

XL Center = Hartford Civic Center

Met Life Stadium = Meadowlands Stadium

Citi Field = Jackie Robinson Park

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

If you could rename every arena in sports, and get rid of the corporate branding, what names would you choose?

A few I'd choose

HP Pavilion - San Jose Arena

Petco Park - Gaslamp Park

Staples Center - Great Western Arena

Made a few changes to yours. I'd not name Staples Center after a child molester. And HP Pavilion had a non-corporate name once that I'd rather see it back to since taxpayers did build the thing. Also Petco Park should still retain "Park" rather than "Stadium".

A few I'd choose

Made a few changes to yours. I'd not name Staples Center after a child molester. And HP Pavilion had a non-corporate name once that I'd rather see it back to since taxpayers did build the thing. Also Petco Park should still retain "Park" rather than "Stadium".

Great Western was a corporate name.

A few I'd choose

True, but is also could be neutral too.

TD Garden = Boston Garden

Gillette Stadium = The Stadium at Patriot Place

XL Center = Hartford Civic Center

Met Life Stadium = Meadowlands Stadium

Citi Field = Jackie Robinson Park

I'd rename Citi Field after William Shea (Shea Park, I like it more than Shea Field) and rename the Barcalys Center after Robinson (Jackie Robinson Arena) since it's in Brooklyn. I know Jackie was never a Net or Islander, but Joe Louis wasn't a Red Wing either.

Miller Park (or Turner Field)--Hank Aaron Field

Tampa Bay Times Forum--back to its old name, The Ice Palace

Wells Fargo Center--The Spectrum

Lincoln Financial Field--Eagles Stadium (or Chuck Bednarik Field)

Safeco Field--Ken Griffey Field

Soldier Field--The Spaceship on Lake Michigan :P

Heinz Field--Art Rooney Memorial Stadium

M&T Stadium--John C. Unitas Memorial Stadium

Comerica Park--Cobb-Kaline Park

Earlier this week I came up with names for all the stadia in the big four (I am that cool):

Some of note:

SF Giants: China Basin Ballpark

TN Titans: Nashville Coliseum

MEM Grizzlies: Beale Street Forum

STL Cardinals: Musial Field

CHI Bulls/Blackhawks: New Chicago Stadium

WAS Capitals/Wizards: Gallery Place Center

VAN Canucks: Canuck Hockey Place

TOR Maple Leafs: Maple Leaf Center

MTL Canadiens: Le Centre Montreal

UTA Jazz: Larry Miller Court (as name of building)

SAC Kings: Sacramento Sports Arena (Original name of temporary Arco Arena I, which was built out of an office building)

ORL Magic: New Orena

PIT Pirates: Roberto Clemente Field

NY Mets: New Shea Stadium

IND Pacers: Indiana Fieldhouse

CIN Reds: Crosley Terrace (name of the main entrance of GABP)

PHX Suns: The Purple Palace

SA Spurs: Rodeo Arena

HOU Texams: Rodeo Houston Stadium

MN Wild: St. Paul Civic Center

CHA Bobcats: Uptown Arena

MIA Heat: Biscayne Arena

Staples Center: LA Live Arena

Some old names which would be restored: Jack Murphy Stadium, Skydome, Kiel Center, Indiana Stadium (Colts before Lucas Oil), Astros Field, Brendan Byrne Arena, Oakland Coliseum, Oakland Arena, San Jose Arena, Comiskey Park, Carolinas Stadium (Panthers), Crossroads Arena (Buffalo), Ravens Stadium, Mile High Stadium, Louisiana Superdome, Raleigh Arena, Broward County Civic Center, New Meadowlands Stadium, Glendale Arena, Cardinals Stadium (AZ), Northlands Coliseum, Olympic Saddledome, True North Centre, Ice Palace (Tampa Bay), Florida Suncoast Dome, Joe Robbie Stadium

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

A few I'd choose

True, but it was the best corporate name ever put on an arena. And one that lasted years after the company ceased to exist because it's a good name in its own right.

I like China Basin Park for San Francisco Phone Park. Or maybe Pier [#] Park, if it was built on or near one of the numbered piers. I bristle at naming it for Willie Mays. Willie Mays was great, but was he name-a-major-league-ballpark-for-him great? especially considering there aren't any other major league parks named for greats?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A few I'd choose

True, but it was the best corporate name ever put on an arena. And one that lasted years after the company ceased to exist because it's a good name in its own right.

Wrigley Field...kind of?

And this would all be moot if MetLife was actually JetBlue Stadium.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived