Saints (past): IIRC, the 1st NFL team to wear monochrome black. Also, the only NFL team to ever wear a metallic gold jersey.

1948_Detroit.png

I see a red helmet there.

If we're counting helmets then the Saints don't count either.

Didn't the Saints used to wear black helmets?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seattle Mariners: Only MLB team to wear a metallic silver-billed cap in regular-season play (ca. 1997-1999)

First, but not only.

los-angeles-dodgers-alternate-royal-blue-silver-pinch-hitter-adjustable-hat-3110091.jpg

And that's a beautiful cap, to boot.

Boise State is the only football team in at least the FBS to use a blue, orange, and gray color scheme, unless I'm forgetting anyone.

UTEP?

http://universitycommunications.utep.edu/identityguide/download/utepgraphicidentityguide.pdf (look on page 5)

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

New York Jets: First major pro sports team to revert back to retro/throwback uniforms full-time.

What about the NY Rangers after the ill-advised Ferguson redesign?

This isn't true there are a lot of teams that changed their looks and then changed back to classic looks before the Jets did it in 1998. Knicks did it in the mid-80s, White Sox in 1990, Islanders in 1997, as mentioned NY Rangers in 1978

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

New York Jets: First major pro sports team to revert back to retro/throwback uniforms full-time.

What about the NY Rangers after the ill-advised Ferguson redesign?

This isn't true there are a lot of teams that changed their looks and then changed back to classic looks before the Jets did it in 1998. Knicks did it in the mid-80s, White Sox in 1990, Islanders in 1997, as mentioned NY Rangers in 1978

It could be argued that the Rangers did it in 1947. They went with a collegiate style arced RANGERS over a front number in 1946 (think the current Dallas Stars look) and switched back to the diagonal RANGERS script in 1947.

I think one-offs should probably be excluded. I can think of a couple other high-profile teams that moved away from their iconic look and changed back after only a year.

If that's the case, then the Rangers still count since the Ferguson redesign lasted for two years.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Arkansas Razorbacks: Only major sports team in the US to have a type of swine as their nickname.

3vl6i37dupmka11fbdzodgfth.gif

I said major. That means Big Four (or Five) and D1 sports. No disrespect meant to the 'Hogs but they're a farm team.

Your definition of "Major" may differ from many and wasn't defined in your 1st post. I may be wrong on the generally held position but I would think "Major" would only included the big four of North American professional sports.

To me, including a college team in the definition of "Major" seems odd to me - mixes professional with a college (non-professional) team. His inclusion of a team one step down from the NHL doesn't seem any more odd to me than yours.

In any event you could say the Razorbacks are the only D1 College team with a swine as a nickname.

Am I way off?

When most members of this board see "Major" what do they define "Major" as?

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

I don't consider NCAA football, even D1, to be in consideration when we're talking about "major" sports.

Yes, the Rockford IceHogs are a farm team. So are the Arkansas Razorbacks though, if you think about it.

I think its pretty hard to claim a team is "not major" when they're drawing 65,000 fans to their football games in a state where the biggest city is less than 200,000 people

JMHO, of course.

Seattle Mariners: I believe that first MLB team with racing stripes (1981). Otherwise, only MLB team with a teal, navy, and silver color scheme

Nope, the Expos wore racing stripes starting in 1980.

Well you have to go back a bit further than the Expos to the Phillies in 1970 (assuming you count a single color stripe as a "racing stripe").

Saints (past): IIRC, the 1st NFL team to wear monochrome black. Also, the only NFL team to ever wear a metallic gold jersey.

1948_Detroit.png

I see a red helmet there.

If we're counting helmets then the Saints don't count either.

I wasn't.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Seattle Pilots (past): Only baseball team with something on the cap bill [Navy-style "scrambled eggs"].

Los Angeles Angels (past): Only baseball team with something on the cap crown [an actual halo].

Montreal Expos (past): Only baseball team to have its name on jersey spelled with an intital lower case letter [expos instead of Expos].

Toronto Raptors (present): Only team in the "Big 4" with a dinosaur in its logo.

New Orleans Hornets (present): Only team in the "Big 4" with an insect in its logo.

Philadelphia Phillies (present): Only team in the "Big 4" with a national landmark in its logo [Liberty Bell].

Boston Red Sox (present): Only team in the "Big 4" with an article of clothing as its primary logo.

Philadelphia Eagles (present): Only NFL team with its primary logo facing left.

Miami Dolphins (present): Only NFL team with a logo featuring a helmet that was never used. [Dolphin wearing an "M" on its helmet].

San Diego Padres (present): Only team in the "Big 4" with the name of its sport in its logo. [but also the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL.]

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Does the H in the Canadiens' logo count?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived