B1G Concepts **Maryland & Rutgers Up 8/8/13**

bigmike

Okay so the Fourth Conference in my NCAA series is one of the best looking and most tradional conferences in all of College Football, the B1G Conference.

Conferences Completed
FBS Independents
Pac-12
SEC

BIG (14/14)
BIGHelmets_zps6417532f.png
Leaders Completed 12/2/12: See Post 1
Legends: Completed 1/28/13 See Post 22
Future Teams 8/8/13: See Post 28

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Illinois Fighting Illini

So I did Illinois in my last NCAA Concept Series thread, and this set is not really different at all from the last one, the only differnece is the added I logo which is featured on the collar and pants. The whole set is inspired by their basketball uniforms.

UPDATE 12/7/12: Alright so I took some suggestions and combined them with my concept, the whole concept features the zig zag pattern and three new helmets, a white helmet with the split colored Illini script, a orange helmet with a single colored Illini script, and a blue helmet with the I/State logo. The I/State logo is also a new part of this concept. Orange Uniforms are now the home uniforms as well. The helmets and pants are all interchangeable.

Home and Away Uniforms

IlliniHomeandAwayUniformsV2.png

Alternate Uniforms

IlliniAlternateUniformsV2.png

Indiana Hoosiers

Indiana is another team with uniforms inspired by the basketball uniforms, and there is a good reason for that since their basketball team is far superior to the football team. The uniform features the double stripe on the helmet, collar, cuffs, and pants, it also features an arched Indiana script across the chest which helps seperate them even more from Oklahoma.

Home and Away Uniforms

IndianaHomeandRoadUniformsV2.png

Ohio State Buckeyes

I have completed Ohio State before as well, and I was always very happy with my original concept for them, it featured gray sleeves with stripes that matched the helmet and pants. However, I am a huge huge fan of the Rivalry set they wore this year, so I decided to use that as a base for this concept. The helmet is pretty much exactly the same, the stripe is slightly thinner but it is still bigger than most northwestern styled stripes, the chrome red stripe and black facemask stay the same as well as the green buckeye stickers. The uniforms feature the big numbers, I placed the updated Ohio State logo on the chest, somewhat similar to Mississippi State's chest logo.

UPDATE 12/7/12: Once again I took some suggestions, not only did I make the black stripe on the sleeves a slight bit thinner but I made the sleeves/cuffs gray to match the helmet and pants.

Home and Away Uniforms

OhioStateUniformsV2.png

Penn State Nittany Lions
I was thinking about just going full out rebrand for Penn State after all of the stuff they went through this past year but I think there is a way to update their uniforms to create a new era while keeping some traditional aspects. I decided to take some inspiration from their last season game's helmets and add the numbers to one side of the helmet, of course in this set each player wears his own number. This creates a unique helmet which also keeps part of their traditional plain helmets. The jersey features a simple single stripe on the sleeve to match the helmet and pants, contrasting collars also return to the uniform. Penn State is featured across the chest and a new agency styled font is used on the uniform. The Nittany Lion logo also appears on the pants now.
UPDATE 12/7/12: Okay so some new updates to Penn State, no chest script, S logo added to collar, and no outline on the numbers.

Home and Away Uniforms
PennStateHomeandRoadUniformsV2.png

Purdue Boilmakers
I am not a fan of Purdue's current uniforms, they have no insiriation behind them. I thought about just going back to the Drew Brees styled uniforms but instead I decided to just come up with a unique set. I decided to incorperate the bolts from the Purdue logo in the whole set. The number and NOB font is updated to match the motion P logo as well.
UPDATE 12/7/12: Only Update to Purdue is the bolts on the pants are toned down a bit to remove clutter.

Home and Away Uniforms
PurdueHomeAwayUniformsV2.png

Alternate Uniforms
PurdueAlternateUniformsV2.png

Wisconsin Badgers
So my Wisconsin set is very very similar to my last set for them, which is also similar to their one game uni's from this season. Now I created my concept before those uniforms came out so I really didn't use them as inspiration other than the cardinal helmet. I created two helmets and I tried to decide on just one but I couldn't because I like both of them so much so I included both of them. The font used in the entire concept matches their W logo and basketball uniforms.

Home and Away Uniforms
WisconsinHomeandRoadUniformsV2.png

Illinois: Really like the idea behind these for the most part. One thing I'd definitely change up is the split script on the helmet. If you had a white helmet I'd love it, but it was just too hard to read on the orange and blue basketball jerseys so they switched to single colored script with an outline on both of those jerseys. I'd do the same thing on the helmets. The striping is fine, but it would be great if you took the zig-zag striping that the basketball team has used in the past.

Indiana: Really like going simple with IU. Not sure how I feel about the arched script, I think that might look pretty rough on the TechFit template during actual gametime. I'd probably switch up the pants so you have white at home and crimson on the road as the primary choices.

Ohio State: I like basing it off their uniforms from the Michigan game this year, especially the helmets and big numbers. Don't think I really like how much black is on the sleeve striping. I'd go with something closer to the striping on their current jerseys.

Penn State: Love that the contrasting cuffs made a comeback. I don't like the idea behind the numbers on one side of the helmet though. Putting something on just one side of the helmet is usually a bad idea. Either go without any (I'd like this better) or put the numbers on both side. I don't think they really need a logo on the hip either, just putting the stripe all the way up would look better.

Purdue: I like that you went away from the oversimplified look they have now, but I think you might have gone a little bit over the top with the design in the stripes.

Wisconsin: The contrasting shoulders are a good look and would help a lot to differentiate them from Nebraska.The black also looks good in the small amount you used on these.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I agree with the Ohio State comment^, I think the Black is a bit overwhelming but I get what you were trying to accomplish and I commend you for it. The rivalry game set was beautiful, just needed white numbers. My only other small thing is with the Illini helmet. I think being on and Orange background, the bottom or white part of the Illini would be a bit hard to read from a distance. Maybe if it was all blue it would be a little better. But overall, your sets are great my friend, keep up the great work!

Illinois: It's okay, but the wordmark is kind of hard to read on the helmets and you could probably make something very distinctive if you used the zigzags that the Illini have been incorporating into their brand.

Penn State & Indiana: No complaints. Indiana looks as good as they possibly can, and Penn State is a good evolution of their classic (tainted) look.

Ohio State: I have to agree with what everyone is saying about the stripes. It's the only part of the rivalry uniform I didn't like.

Purdue: I like the general idea, but the unis need more contrast. The middle helmet stripe should probably be white and I think the bolts on the pant stripe should probably be white as well.

Wisconsin: Not bad, only I'd tone down the black outlines on the jersey and helmets. What you have on the pants is a good balance.

Well, I had a rundown of all the teams, but my internet crashed before I could post it, and it was really long. So, I'm just gonna write my analysis on Penn State.

Back when the rumors were flowing about us getting new uniforms (which is still pretty prevalent here at Penn State), I sketched a quick design that I never brought to life. Luckily, you nearly brought it to life for me. I love almost everything about this; the stripes are modern, yet keep the classic look; the number font looks good (I prefer block, but I'd have no qualms with this font); the one-sided helmet number is awesome. After being at the Wisconsin game and seeing the look up close, I'd love if Penn State went with helmet numbers on one side.

There is only one thing I don't really like about your concept, the word mark on the chest. I've never really liked the look, it feels 90s-ish to me, and really doesn't go with the classic look of the team. I think a block S at the base of the collar

pt-MG031!028.jpg

like this one, would look great, or maybe the word mark in block letters, similar to our end zone.

Change it or not, I think it's a great look that would be the perfect transition into the Bill O'Brien era.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I'm gonna make some updates soon, I am in the process of converting my templates to full out gimp/photoshop template because everyone is pm'ing me about my templates and I can improve it alot by converting it to a photoshop template.

I definitely like the one-sided Penn State helmet numbers. I really hope they do that full-time next year. Like Lafarge also said, I'm not a fan of the font on the chest. I don't think that font is used on any of the newer official university stuff, and it hasn't been for a few years.

I don't think I like the black on the Ohio State sleeves or the Wisconsin number font, but the rest of them look good. Nice work.

I really like most of what you've done with these concepts. I cannot approve that look for Wisconsin, though. Wisconsin currently only needs one tweak, and that's completely removing black from their look, which means getting rid of the black drop shadow to the Flying W (and not allowing players to wear black tall black socks).

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

As a Penn State student, i could really get behind the tweaks you made if the name wasnt across the chest. IMO it just clutters up the look and theres no real reason for it to be there. Either the oval lion head or keystone S logo on the colar would be perfect. I moving us away from the standard block font also, however id lose the silver stroke. Having a single color number adds a nice subtle modern touch to a classic set. Also thanks for not taking the "OMGZ puts teh oval logos on the helmutz to fix teh tainted brand!!!!1" approach like a lot of other concepts have. The helmets are just too classic to make that drastic of a change... i can support the numbers though.

The Illinois and Indiana concepts are exactly what each team should be wearing next year. The indiana one is especially awesome. I love the inspiration from the bball program. Best Indiana concept ive seen on these boards.

Great work on the entire series, keep them coming!

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

Okay guys, so I have posted some big updates, Illinois is pretty much completely different from the first draft, and there are some tweaks to Ohio State, Penn State, and Purdue. You will also notice all of the concepts have been converted to an "updated" template. I'm working on converting this template to gimp so it can be 100% usuable in gimp (without paint). It still needs some work and some of the uniforms (such as Purdue) have darker mesh panels than I intended but you get the idea behind the concepts. Anyways I'm hoping to complete the templates soon, I've already completed a Nike NFL (flywire collar), Adidas TechFit, and the Adidas "Tusk" template, I'll work on a Under Armor one soon and try to make the entire template a little more user friendly before I release it.

What Helmet template are you using is it usable in paint? I wanted to do something similiar to this. Thanks!

Its in thr PSD folder. I saved the PNG file and used Irfanview, Paint and PowerPoint as well as different backgrounds to make the textures. Hope that helps. By the way, these concepts look pretty good. I like Penn State's look almost as much as Ohio State.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived