SD Chargers: Worst Uniforms in the NFL IMHO

Mitch B

yellow pants

chargersvolt.jpg

Vomit.gif

Am I the only one who hated the Seau/Tomlinson era Chargers uniforms?

Is it because Ryan Leaf also wore them? There are some people who hate unis because of who wore them during their period.

Haha that probably does warrant hatred for a uniform but no. I just never liked them. I don't love the current uniforms but I feel they are better.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Leaf connotation is part of why I don't like them - in fact, those uniforms are associated with some of the worst Charger moments in history (Leaf, the Super Bowl beatdown, McCree). But my main beef with them is the lack of powder blue and the emphasis on boring navy and white. The current set isn't perfect, but the powder blue alternate alone is better than the entire set that preceded it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Chargers have had some good uniforms in their history, but I find the current set very boring. The uniforms don't look so bad in pictures, but on television, they are really bland looking. The dark blue currently used with the white helmets is a bad combination IMO. The lightning bolts don't stand out on the pants or the helmet. I find these uniforms arguably the worst in the NFL today.

Good thing you don't have a say in it. While I prefer the Fouts-era uniforms, the only thing wromg with their current set is the upside-downbolts on the jersey.

Worst category includes Bengals, Titans, Falcons and Jets. And you Dolphins have the weakest look of all NFL teams...major step back.

I don't know why...I read it as "liked".

I agree. That set was great. I loved the crisp, clean block font and the consistency between all elements. The Chargers's current set is an all-time botch. They had three great looks to choose from, although I'm not as big a fan of the royal blue set as many on here are. The navy set was great, the Columbia blue set was possibly better, and beloved by the fans. When given the choice between three solid looks, what do the Chargers do? None of the above, we'll pick the steaming pile of crap instead.

This is right on the money.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Chargers have had some good uniforms in their history, but I find the current set very boring. The uniforms don't look so bad in pictures, but on television, they are really bland looking. The dark blue currently used with the white helmets is a bad combination IMO. The lightning bolts don't stand out on the pants or the helmet. I find these uniforms arguably the worst in the NFL today.

Good thing you don't have a say in it. While I prefer the Fouts-era uniforms, the only thing wromg with their current set is the upside-downbolts on the jersey.

Worst category includes Bengals, Titans, Falcons and Jets. And you Dolphins have the weakest look of all NFL teams...major step back.

I've previously posted in this thread that I may have over-stated my case by saying the Chargers uniforms are the worst in the NFL, but I do find their current uniforms very bland. I don't think the white helmets work with the navy blue. The Chargers have attempted to combine two eras of uniforms, and it just doesn't work IMO.

LogoFan wrote, "Good thing you don't have a say in it." Was that comment necessary to your argument?

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

In their entire history, the Chargers never looked bad; until now. All of their uniforms ranged between really good and perfect. Their current set has potential, but as it stands right now, it's one notch above Bengals/Cardinals/Vikings territory in my book.

If I had to pick one, this set is probably my favorite Chargers look although I really like the powder blue throwbacks too. Hell, I liked all of their looks before their current set.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01.jpg

In their entire history, the Chargers never looked bad; until now. All of their uniforms ranged between really good and perfect. Their current set has potential, but as it stands right now, it's one notch above Bengals/Cardinals/Vikings territory in my book.

If I had to pick one, this set is probably my favorite Chargers look although I really like the powder blue throwbacks too. Hell, I liked all of their looks before their current set.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01.jpg

Jim Lachey sighting. This is my favorite Chargers uniform as well.

Mine as well. It's got everything that made the last set great while also making it pop a bit more by giving gold a more prominent role in the scheme.

Wasn't there a year where they wore this same uniform, but the numbers were yellow instead of white? I could have sworn they did. Those were my favorite.

(Seems like there was a photo of Lionel James somewhere that had this uniform)

Yeah, the above picture of Fouts was worn in 86-87. The Lionel James version debuted in 1985 and worn only in that year:

19908_282wh.jpg

Both of those uniforms look and match up better. Even with the navy blue on all white look.

I think the Chargers need to return to their 1985-1987 look. This was Spanos idea to stray away from the royal blue and athletic gold (yellow-gold) era. I am sorry, but that's just how I feel about the Chargers look. I wish they should pick one and go with it. Instead, they add a fourth color just like the rest of the NFL.

19908_282wh.jpg

I can't take this look, personally. Just one of my personal uniform "rules"... NO colored numbers with white pants. Dislike it every time. Hate it with the current Rams.

GYI0055844934--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

EDIT. Wait... just thought of a uniform that breaks this "rule" but I still like it. Ironically, also a Rams uniform.

elroyhirschgoallineartpainting.jpg

I should mention that one other minor change to the Chargers next season - besides the collar and Navy jersey nameplate modification - is the addition to a thin Gold stripe to the bottom of the two variations of socks.

19908_282wh.jpg

I can't take this look, personally. Just one of my personal uniform "rules"... NO colored numbers with white pants. Dislike it every time. Hate it with the current Rams.

EDIT. Wait... just thought of a uniform that breaks this "rule" but I still like it. Ironically, also a Rams uniform.

Weird... not only did I think I was the only one who had that "rule," the only exceptions I can think of all involve some type of gold jerseys.

19908_282wh.jpg

It works for Los Angeles in 1950-1955, but their St.Louis Rams current look is just garbage. The white pants works with the yellow-gold numbers for San Diego (wish they kept the yellow-gold pants), but at least it wasn't that bad as the current Rams look with the nasty metallic beige.

The Leaf connotation is part of why I don't like them - in fact, those uniforms are associated with some of the worst Charger moments in history (Leaf, the Super Bowl beatdown, McCree). But my main beef with them is the lack of powder blue and the emphasis on boring navy and white. The current set isn't perfect, but the powder blue alternate alone is better than the entire set that preceded it.

Interesting how your only Super Bowl appearance brings pain to you. That was probablly the best Chargers team in franchise history despite the talent on the early 80s teams with Fouts/Joyner/Winslow, which is when they also looked their best as infared also said above.

87Redskins.png

19908_282wh.jpg

It works for Los Angeles in 1950-1955, but their St.Louis Rams current look is just garbage. The white pants works with the yellow-gold numbers for San Diego (wish they kept the yellow-gold pants), but at least it wasn't that bad as the current Rams look with the nasty metallic beige.

i would bet that it's not actually the colored numbers that bothers you guys, but the visual weight and color application. navy jerseys/helmets over white pants makes the player look very top heavy and the numbers make it worse. it would help if the jersey had more white in it, maybe the sleeves. that's prbably why you wouldnt mind those unis with white numbers, right? with a gold over white uniform the visual weight decreases (light colored objects appear lighter) and the contrast is easier on the eyes too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

19908_282wh.jpg

i would bet that it's not actually the colored numbers that bothers you guys, but the visual weight and color application. navy jerseys/helmets over white pants makes the player look very top heavy and the numbers make it worse. it would help if the jersey had more white in it, maybe the sleeves. that's prbably why you wouldnt mind those unis with white numbers, right? with a gold over white uniform the visual weight decreases (light colored objects appear lighter) and the contrast is easier on the eyes too

Good assessment. I would say that is why the Chargers look here works better... the large white area on the shoulder.

For the Rams, again it simply isn't consistent. The horn on the helmet is gold without outline yet the numerals and stripe on the jersey are gold with white outline. Remove the white outline on the jersey and this would be more consistent and work better for me as they would always have gold, surrounded by navy.

Interesting how your only Super Bowl appearance brings pain to you.

Well, when you give up nearly 50 points and lose by 23 to a team that cheated the salary cap in your only trip to the Super Bowl, it tends to be a painful experience. Especially when the Chargers have choked away plenty of better chances at winning a title.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Interesting how your only Super Bowl appearance brings pain to you. That was probablly the best Chargers team in franchise history despite the talent on the early 80s teams with Fouts/Joyner/Winslow, which is when they also looked their best as infared also said above.

The 1963 AFL Champion Chargers beg to differ.

Pre-merger AFL and NFL (it's true, sadly) Championships aren't quite seen as on par with Super Bowls.

I remember very little about Super Bowl XXIX (I was seven) other then my dad being upset that the Chargers lost, but looking back I have to say yes, this was the most accomplished Chargers team of the modern (post merger) era. Maybe not the best, but the most accomplished. That counts for something, I think, and is definitely a point in the 1992-2006 look's favour.

Pre-merger AFL and NFL (it's true, sadly) Championships aren't quite seen as on par with Super Bowls.

I remember very little about Super Bowl XXIX (I was seven) other then my dad being upset that the Chargers lost, but looking back I have to say yes, this was the most accomplished Chargers team of the modern (post merger) era. Maybe not the best, but the most accomplished. That counts for something, I think, and is definitely a point in the 1992-2006 look's favour.

Die hard Charger fans know the '79 team was the best in its history. Dominated until their offensive signals were decoded by the Oilers. Had that not happened, the Chargers would have rolled through the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Archived