2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know something's not right when not even a high-ranking member of the organisation has any words to justify this mess.

Well if this is how it goes down, maybe they ditch it before it ever hits the ice. Or is it too late for that?

Let's ignore the Sabres again, and go back to praising my Stars.

They wore the new uniforms for the first time in a game tonight at the Traverse City prospects tournament. Even though I'm in love with the new look, I have to admit that Jack Campbell's green and gold equipment looks fantastic despite being the only gold anywhere in the uniform.

Can't wait to see the greens in action.

jack_zpsfd149cc3.jpg

2_zps205dc2c0.jpg

1_zps1cdbbfc3.jpg

I don't like the gold on Campell's pads, unless they're carry overs from last years

they are carry-overs, but more importantly, he plays for the texas stars and isn't expected to be an NHLer this year. his pads match the texas stars uniforms.

Nothing serious obviously but, the Sharks wore their "old" uniforms vs the Canucks in the Canucks Young Stars tournament game. The Sharks jerseys also included the old Reebok logo. Once again as in past years of this tournament teams wore the opposite helmet. Sharks wore their black helmet with the white jerseys and Canucks their white helmet with blue jerseys. Pretty ugly combination.

8prlQWA.png

Really love the new stars look!

Back to the Sabres...real quick I swear.

So the Sabres Creative department also designed the Buffalo Bandit's Indoor Lacrosse team's uniforms...And it looks like they totally screwed that up too AND used a very similar Number Font for the current third jerseys. What a mess...an embarassing mess.

2012-blk-jerseylettered-LG.jpg

And Director of Creative services Frank Cravotta has done some great work around the First Niagara Center with displays and such that are a terrific tribute to the tradition of Sabres hockey. This new third uniform is just a mess...no connection to the team and the tradition plus it's ugly as hell. It was a team fail though...management including club president Ted Black and the Pegula family had to bottom line this mess...

original_256607_dAW_ePCxxCusU58_z7ctSeV3

The Stars' numbers still look too rec-league for me, and it's just not right without gold. Other than that, yeah, pretty good, definitely in at least the 50th percentile of NHL uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The more you see those new stars jerseys, the better they look.

I actually hated those jerseys when I first saw them. I think it was because they ditched the "Stars"/star logo, a logo they used since their final days in Minnesota. I stuck with the Stars when they moved back in 1993 and every time I looked at them and saw that logo, I knew that the Star in the crest was supposed to be a North Star. In other words it kept the memory of my beloved North Stars alive.
The change removed that logo, and the fact that there was nothing left from the North Stars days on the uniforms anymore depressed me.
Once I got over the shock, I then realized that this uniform is a lot closer to what the North Stars wore back in the day then anything Dallas has ever worn. Just imagine if they had gold instead of silver and you pretty much have a North Stars jersey with a "D and star logo rather than an "N" and star logo on the front.
15zlffd.jpg
This is why I'm loving these uniforms now.

The Catch of the Day!

The more you see those new stars jerseys, the better they look.

I actually hated those jerseys when I first saw them. I think it was because they ditched the "Stars"/star logo, a logo they used since their final days in Minnesota. I stuck with the Stars when they moved back in 1993 and every time I looked at them and saw that logo, I knew that the Star in the crest was supposed to be a North Star. In other words it kept the memory of my beloved North Stars alive.
The change removed that logo, and the fact that there was nothing left from the North Stars days on the uniforms anymore depressed me.
Once I got over the shock, I then realized that this uniform is a lot closer to what the North Stars wore back in the day then anything Dallas has ever worn. Just imagine if they had gold instead of silver and you pretty much have a North Stars jersey with a "D and star logo rather than an "N" and star logo on the front.
This is why I'm loving these uniforms now.

As someone who'll likely never forgive them for leaving Minnesota in the first place, I'm relieved that they don't feature gold anymore. I'd rather they craft an entirely different identity rather than wear something that resembles their time in Minnesota. That might just be the sour grapes speaking, though.

I do miss the green and gold color scheme with a star from the NHL.

On the other hand, however, it's only fair that Dallas now has their own brand of hockey. They kept the sacred parts from their history within Minnesota and Dallas' previous years, but took all the steps foward necessary to have something that represents themselves, not someone else. They did not limit themselves to fauxbacks, and remain stuck in the legacy of a past franchise. They did the right thing.

With that said, they (not the Wild) have the rights to North Stars memorabilia. They can always release an alternate jersey with their real classic colors, sometime in the future. I'm sure that would really please everybody. Current Stars management has vocally expressed how fan opinions are taken under consideration. If enough people want this, I don't see why it can't come to fruition.

Those numbers need black outlines. Otherwise, perfect.

I think that's a little too far. The best part of their set is the GREAT color scheme. Not only an attractive scheme, but one which is unique in pro sports right now. The jerseys are solid because they are in traditional, classy patterns, but I think the jerseys more or less "get out of the way" of the color scheme. There's nothing overly impressive about the templates themselves, and that's perfectly fine.

However, the awkwardly beveled D-star is just not a great logo. It's not even a good logo. It's merely not bad, which I guess is much better than it could have been. Add in the fact that they reused the chest logo inside a circle instead of putting the Texas logo on the shoulders, and there are several things which could be tweaked before this set could be considered perfect, IMO. I think they're really good, but that's it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived