2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

The coaches do not have Arizona State ranked in pre-season, when many predict that they will win the Pac 12 South. It is most likely due to that they could start the year 2-4.

Sac State

Wisconsin

@Stanford

Notre Dame (in Arlington)

USC

Colorado

I obviously have a little bias, but that's what I was surprised by. To see UCLA and USC ranked while ASU is not was surprising. Sac State and Colorado are no-brainer wins. Easy. Getting USC in Tempe is an advantage. I think that's closer. I think the Notre Dame/Cowboys Stadium game is closer than people think (I'm still frankly amazed that they even got this game scheduled.). Stanford in Palo Alto is probably a loss. They held close and could have won against Wisconsin three years ago in Madison, but ya know, three years ago.

Realistically, I'd probably say they come out 3-3, winning Sac State, Colorado and one of the USC/Wisconsin/Notre Dame. Optimistically, I'd go with 4-2 winning two of the USC/Wisc/ND games. I don't think they get 2-4 out of that. If that was the case, I'd put Graham on a shorter leash. This Sun Devil team is going to score points, though. I think I can say that for certain.

ASU should have no problem with Wisconsin. New coach with the old players and no real QB...it's going to be a rough year in Madison.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The D looks pretty strong this year as well. Having Will Sutton back is HUGE as long as he can stay healthy. As you said, Sac State and Colorado are wins in our sleep, but those other four games are pretty brutal. But if they can get past those games, they can do big things IMO. They kinda lucked out with their schedule this season by avoiding Oregon, getting Washington, Oregon State AND Arizona at home, and only having in conference road games in Pullman, Salt Lake, and Los Angeles.

In confident we'll at least be a game better than last year. Hopefully I can find a way to Dallas for the Cowboys Classic!

FORK EM, DEVS.

Yeah, Sutton staying was a huge coup. I definitely hope he can stay healthy, because 1) he can lead one hell of a pass rush and 2) I want him to help his NFL prospects. I'm not as sure what we have in the secondary, but if Sutton can get it started with pressure up front, it'll help everywhere else.

They've definitely got a favorable second half schedule, but that can be taken of two minds. Either they fight through those first six and improve through the weaker schedule, or they pull a 2011, do respectably well in the first half and dick trip over the second half schedule, miss out on the Pac 12 game, and let effing UCLA in again. (That 2011 season still chaps my ass. :censored: ing Alex Garoutte. :censored: ing Dennis Erickson, who is actually the co-offensive coordinator at Utah. Hope you enjoy the swing pass, Utes fans!) But I do think that if can improve on offense from all they did last year, then there's almost no game that they won't be in. It really comes down to that defense. I agree that at the least they SHOULD be one game better than last year to get to 8-4, but I wouldn't rule out a 9-3 season if things fell right (Hell, 10-2 if we're feeling really cheeky about it). But 8-4 is definitely the reasonable projection at this point.

My uncle is a huge Notre Dame fan and I've been talking him up about going out to Dallas for that game for about two years now. I'd do anything to swing out there for it, but I don't think I'm gonna make it. I guess my visit to the Jerrydome can wait for a Colts Super Bowl or ASU in a Cotton Bowl playoff game :P

GIVE 'EM HELL, DEVILS

ASU should have no problem with Wisconsin. New coach with the old players and no real QB...it's going to be a rough year in Madison.

I wouldn't be hurt if you were right.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Gut feelings on the first poll: Clemson and Florida State too high, LSU, TCU, and Texas too low. How is USC even ranked and how are K-State and Utah State unranked?

LSU might be too high. They lost 8 defensive players to the draft, they have an inept quarterback, and lost their top running back who was a Heisman hopeful to the justice system.

Texas is such a strange team this year because I can make a case for them to go 11-1 and then I can also see them going 7-5.

Gut feelings on the first poll: Clemson and Florida State too high, LSU, TCU, and Texas too low. How is USC even ranked and how are K-State and Utah State unranked?

Texas is such a strange team this year because I can make a case for them to go 11-1 and then I can also see them going 7-5.

For the last three season, Texas (players and staff) have shown an inability to overcome adversity at nearly every occasion.

Also, in a sign of athletic desperation to win this season and to piggy-back on their basketball championship and WBB final game appearance, Louisville will enroll former Auburn and Arkansas State RB Michael Dyer.

For the last three season, Texas (players and staff) have shown an inability to overcome adversity at nearly every occasion.

Also, in a sign of athletic desperation to win this season and to piggy-back on their basketball championship and WBB final game appearance, Louisville will enroll former Auburn and Arkansas State RB Michael Dyer.

Not to be "that guy", but didn't Louisville win the Sugar Bowl last year? I feel like their football team kinda started the all around success. Can hardly see any desperation anywhere.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Not to be "that guy", but didn't Louisville win the Sugar Bowl last year? I feel like their football team kinda started the all around success. Can hardly see any desperation anywhere.

The desperation part is that Louisville knows they'll need to go 12-0 and win by 50 points in every game to look appealing enough to pollsters to vote them in the top 2. Louisville's schedule is pretty weak.

Correct, Hedley.

Louisville is still in the American Conference this year, which also is the last year of the BCS.

Next season, the team will also lose Bridgewater and will lose Dyer via some off the field infraction next year as well when they have to play in an ACC title game.

The desperation part is that Louisville knows they'll need to go 12-0 and win by 50 points in every game to look appealing enough to pollsters to vote them in the top 2. Louisville's schedule is pretty weak.

Correct, Hedley.

Louisville is still in the American Conference this year, which also is the last year of the BCS.

Next season, the team will also lose Bridgewater and will lose Dyer via some off the field infraction next year as well when they have to play in an ACC title game.

I disagree about Bridgewater leaving this year. I heard he took a $10 million insurance policy in case of injury, so I think he might stay. Also Strong is the perfect guy to reform players like Dyer into good citizens. Headley has a great point about the schedule because it is weak, but Louisville has tried to schedule Alabama, Texas A&M, and Michigan (and it didn't work out). The only thing that could help Louisville push in the Top 2 is if UCF, Rutgers, and Cincinnati step up their games and be ranked if they face the Cards. Best Case: 12-0 and BCS NCG; Worst Case: 10-2 and BCS Bowl.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Is it me or is Louisville extremely overrated at #11?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the hype about Bridgewater (OK, someone other the Raysfan name me any other offensive player for Louisville. You can't) and, let's face it, the AAC reeks. Plus, I think that Rutgers and SMU might have a chance to catch the Cards napping.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the hype about Bridgewater (OK, someone other the Raysfan name me any other offensive player for Louisville. You can't) and, let's face it, the AAC reeks. Plus, I think that Rutgers and SMU might have a chance to catch the Cards napping.

Well, Michael Dyer now. And the backup running back that I played against in high school. But, yeah, I'm still not buying into Louisville. I'm not even really a big Bridgewater fan to be honest. Sure, they blew out Florida in the Sugar Bowl, but I'd be amazed if that happens if they play that game in November with something actually on the line.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Two words: West Virginia

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

DeVante Parker and Senorise Perry both return as weapons for Bridgewater, plus the addition of James Quick at WR

They also return 3/5 starters on the offensive line, with plenty of experience for whomever takes the other 2 starting spots.

Plus they return 9 starters from a top 25 defense.

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

What about WVU?

They don't play in the AAC and they don't play Louisville...

What about WVU?

They don't play in the AAC and they don't play Louisville...

A lot of Louisville's hype comes from their smacking of Florida in an exhibition game at the end of the year. Last year West Virginia was getting a ton of hype from kicking the crap out of Clemson in an exhibition game at the end of the season prior to that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My Top 25

1 - Alabama
2 - Ohio St.
3 - Stanford
4 - Oregon
5 - Georgia
6 - Texas A&M
7 - Florida
8 - Florida St.
9 - South Carolina
10 - Louisville
11 - Fresno St.
12 - Oklahoma St.
13 - LSU
14 - Wisconsin
15 - Clemson
16 - Notre Dame
17 - Texas
18 - TCU
19 - Michigan
20 - Baylor
21 - Michigan St.
22 - UCLA
23 - Oklahoma
24 - Northwestern
25 - North Carolina

I did 1-125, but didn't feel like typing it up right now.

Might put it up later

A lot of Louisville's hype comes from their smacking of Florida in an exhibition game at the end of the year. Last year West Virginia was getting a ton of hype from kicking the crap out of Clemson in an exhibition game at the end of the season prior to that.

And that's a very good point. Even with all that talent coming back, all everyone saw was the masterful showing against Florida in the Sugar Bowl and thought to themselves 'Hey, this could be a darkhorse contender for the NCG... despite being in the American'

Rams is on to something here... Wouldn't shock me if Louisville goes the same way West Virginia did last year.

I liked Bridgewater before the UF game. He is a good QB and we all know one offseason can mean big progression for a college player. His hype is fair. He shouldn't get punished because he preformed well against a suspected unmotivated team.

Archived