Washington Redskins Rebranding Project

KyleMakesConcepts

Native Americans say the name is offencive. It's the equivalent of the N-word. Theirs is the only opinion that should matter on the subject, and it's all I'm going to say on the subject.

As to names, I think I would agree that the Warriors would be the most feasible name. With the Pentagon right there, it makes sense.

rATMcmK.png

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, Redskins is NOT in the same category as Fightin' Irish or even names like Utes and Seminoles. If you are seriously so knee-jerkingly ignorant that you can't tell the difference between a nationality and a racial slur, you have no business in this conversation.

I would be a bit sad if they were to change anything to do with their image. (name, uniform, colors, logos) as a Cowboys fan I've grown fond of the hatred I have the 'Skins but, I do see how it is an extremely offensive name. I wish my great grand-father was still alive so I could ask him his thoughts. (He was as Cherokee as they come).

If they were to change their name I would hope it would remain under the Native American theme like the aforementioned "Warriors" or "Braves" but, I really hope that they would figure out a name for the team that isn't used in major sports currently. Perhaps they could not have a mascot name but keep their logos? Washington Football Club may sound too much like a Soccer team though...

I never could see what all the fuss was about with changing the name, but if the Native American refer Redskins as their N-bomb, then yes it should be changed.

Here's a suggestion... Renegades?? You could still keep team colors, logo, uniforms just have to change all the apparel and merchandise with the word Redskins.

I approached this awhile back myself. I ended up with the Kansas City Barons and the Washington Tomahawks. This was before the Houston Texans entered the league, though, so my cattle skull concept for KC wouldn't work as well now, though. Mmm, perhaps I could do a rail barons themes instead.

I would suggest finding something for Washington that keeps the Native American spirit but with a less controversial name. I opted for Tomahawks, but Washington Thunderbirds has a nice ring to it. I'm not opposed to Washington Warriors, but with there being a Warriors in the NBA, I imagine the trademarking would be a bit discouraging.

Other suggestions would be the Washington Obelisks in reference to the Washington Monument or perhaps the Washington Martyrs in reference to the actual heroes in the military that gave their lives for our nation (and also an ironic reference to politicians that like to fall on their swords).

I do also like Washington Sentinels, but that's just because I really liked The Replacements.

It is admittedly a bit off topic, but if anyone here hasn't seen Davidson's concept for a Redskins' logo, I do advise everyone to check it out.

Not sure if it's kosher to post a design of my own in this thread or not, but here's what I did for UniWatch's "Redesign the Redskins" concept: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7086/7219642688_8ad1f1b492_k.jpg

I went with 'Washington Federals' and used some red, white, and blue. If I were to go back and edit this again, I'd make the road uni's all white instead of contrasting pants. Probably make the blue a little more "soldier blue" instead of teal-ish. Love your idea so far!

I think the Warriors is the best choice to maintain the same spirit as the frachise has now. Warriors is like a sidestep to a non-offensive name that the Redskins is. The use of the older spear helmet, as sohiosportsfreak suggested, would be a good move. I agree with Artisan219 that Davidson's logo design is pretty awesome. It would be the best of both worlds of the current logo and the use of the spear.

I like the name Federals as a name but it is so mired in ugly world of losing that nobody around DC would like the name change. You talk to anyone in DC and mention the Washington Federals and they go into convulsions and you end up shoving your wallet in their mouths to bite down on. Federals would fit in with the DC pro sports scene (Capitals, Nationals, United) but I just don't see it happening or being welcomed.

Washington Generals have the same pros and cons that the Federals do: it would fit in that DC theme but is synonymous with losing.

Pigskins in interesting, but I personally think naming your team after the ball is pushing it a bit.

Warthogs just doesn't sound appealing. What is worse, using a racist slur for a team name or being named after a ugly, aggressive pig? Certainly the slur is worse, but I wouldn't want to be named after a pig either! :hockeysmiley:Bohob_4_life's Warthog concepts are very nice, just not nice enough for me to go nuts over the name Warthogs.

Just my $0.02

I like the name Federals as a name but it is so mired in ugly world of losing that nobody around DC would like the name change.

How is that much different than the name Redskins? It's not like the 'Skins have been a pillar of winningness.

sorry but the skins have been to more super bowls than most NFL teams & have won 3 of them been to 6 I believe without looking it up

Yes, I know, I'm just ribbing.

The Redskins have made 5 SuperBowl appearances and won three of those games, including their last SuperBowl, back in 1991. So it's been more than 20 years since they've won the NFC title and the franchise has made the playoffs only five times since that championship season: '92, '99, '05, '07, and this '12 season, and before this season, the last time Washington won their division was '99.

The team isn't what it used to be, and in some ways, I think that might make it easier to rebrand the team. If Washington were a powerhouse team like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers or Giants, there would be less possibility of changing the team name.

Native Americans say the name is offencive. It's the equivalent of the N-word. Theirs is the only opinion that should matter on the subject, and it's all I'm going to say on the subject.

So no one else can even comment or offer a differing opinion?

That's offencive!

LehQRaC.png

The Redskins have made 5 SuperBowl appearances and won three of those games, including their last SuperBowl, back in 1991. So it's been more than 20 years since they've won the NFC title and the franchise has made the playoffs only five times since that championship season: '92, '99, '05, '07, and this '12 season, and before this season, the last time Washington won their division was '99.

The team isn't what it used to be, and in some ways, I think that might make it easier to rebrand the team. If Washington were a powerhouse team like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers or Giants, there would be less possibility of changing the team name.

There is a big difference between having a rough set of years, as is the case with the Redskins, and the total ineptness that was the Washington Federals. In the awful league that was the USFL, the Federals were the worst team of that lot. They invented new ways to lose. So to compare the Redskins' victory drought to the utter futility of the Federals is a bit unfair. This city would rather burn itself to the ground then to see the Redskins renamed to the Federals.

DC area is just nuts over the Redskins. It is actually quite annoying, especially for someone that is not a football fan in general. I'm personally a baseball fan and have been a Nats fan since they relocated from Montreal. It annoys me to no end how off-season Redskin news would lead off the local sports headlines over the Nats and their breakout season in 2012. That is just how this city rolls, Redskins are first and foremost. Burgundy and Gold is more then just a team's color here, it is a sense of pride and loyalty. It is, annoyingly, the lifeblood in this city. So while a name change would be, in my opinion, a near herculean task for DC residents to accept, any attempt to change the color scheme is right off the table.

I think the Warriors is the best choice to maintain the same spirit as the frachise has now. Warriors is like a sidestep to a non-offensive name that the Redskins is. The use of the older spear helmet, as sohiosportsfreak suggested, would be a good move. I agree with Artisan219 that Davidson's logo design is pretty awesome. It would be the best of both worlds of the current logo and the use of the spear.

I like the name Federals as a name but it is so mired in ugly world of losing that nobody around DC would like the name change. You talk to anyone in DC and mention the Washington Federals and they go into convulsions and you end up shoving your wallet in their mouths to bite down on. Federals would fit in with the DC pro sports scene (Capitals, Nationals, United) but I just don't see it happening or being welcomed.

Washington Generals have the same pros and cons that the Federals do: it would fit in that DC theme but is synonymous with losing.

Pigskins in interesting, but I personally think naming your team after the ball is pushing it a bit.

Warthogs just doesn't sound appealing. What is worse, using a racist slur for a team name or being named after a ugly, aggressive pig? Certainly the slur is worse, but I wouldn't want to be named after a pig either! :hockeysmiley:Bohob_4_life's Warthog concepts are very nice, just not nice enough for me to go nuts over the name Warthogs.

Just my $0.02

Federals- Would be an good fit for a name, and love the Eagle logo the USFL team used, but IMHO it wouldn't work with the burgundy & gold color scheme.

Sentinels- Love this name too but, Not just because of The Replacements movie, but it has a nice ring to it.

Thunderbirds (Artisan suggested)- Really is a good choice, keeps with the Native American theme (with Warriors and Tomahawks)

Warriors- Not doing anything for me, Sounds good, but no...

Pigskins- I can see where we're going with this, especially with keeping "skins" in the name, but see my last statement about Warriors

Warthogs- Excellent choice, can see it as a possability, but Native American theme names trump is this one

There is a big difference between having a rough set of years, as is the case with the Redskins, and the total ineptness that was the Washington Federals. In the awful league that was the USFL, the Federals were the worst team of that lot. They invented new ways to lose. So to compare the Redskins' victory drought to the utter futility of the Federals is a bit unfair. This city would rather burn itself to the ground then to see the Redskins renamed to the Federals.

DC area is just nuts over the Redskins. It is actually quite annoying, especially for someone that is not a football fan in general. I'm personally a baseball fan and have been a Nats fan since they relocated from Montreal. It annoys me to no end how off-season Redskin news would lead off the local sports headlines over the Nats and their breakout season in 2012. That is just how this city rolls, Redskins are first and foremost. Burgundy and Gold is more then just a team's color here, it is a sense of pride and loyalty. It is, annoyingly, the lifeblood in this city. So while a name change would be, in my opinion, a near herculean task for DC residents to accept, any attempt to change the color scheme is right off the table.

This is accurate. As a DC resident who cringes and curls whenever I hear those politicians talk about how broken my city is, the Redskins are just everything here. Washington is nuts about this team, especially now. I've never seen so many kids my age (17) really care about this team. If they were going to rebrand, it was in 2009. That time has passed.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Washington Generals is a fantastic name, except that they're already the Harlem Globetrotter's bitches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Generals

Washington Colonials might work, but you have to avoid being too similar to the NE Pats.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived