New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Something sort of uni-related, but just a great story:

Connor Cosgrove, a former WR for the University of Minnesota was the first to receive a real game jersey presented by Rick Spielman and Leslie Frasier. Number pairing aside, this jersey just looks rad. Better yet, the video is worth the watch.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Vikings-Welcome-Connor-Cosgrove-To-Winter-Park/b430a884-4155-495b-9f30-b1b647e6295d

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connor Cosgrove, a former WR for the University of Minnesota was the first to receive a real game jersey presented by Rick Spielman and Leslie Frasier. Number pairing aside, this jersey just looks rad. Better yet, the video is worth the watch.

http://www.vikings.c...30-b1b647e6295d

If I was 100X the athlete I am and was picked up by the Vikes this year, I would honestly be more selective about my number than I would with anyone else.. This clip (and the Patterson photo) tells me that I would not want a "4" as my second digit for example.

That's why these numbers have already worn out their welcome. If all jersey's with a "4" on the right look bad, then it's not working.

Prediction: the essence of these uniforms remains for a while, but the number font lasts about as long as the league minimum.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The league minimum likely doesn't apply to the numbers. Teams have to keep the same logos and basically the same jerseys, but there have been instances of teams tweaking things right off the bat. The Jaguars' change in 1997 featured an illegible thin font and black side-panels. The thin font was swapped out for a wider font during the preseason, and the black side-panels were dumped after year one. The Rams' revamp in 2000 featured block numbers and gold side-panels. In 2001, the team switched to the current font. In 2002, they dropped the side panels. Three different years with three different uniforms, even if the "gist" of them was the same. Unless the league has tightened up uniform regulations since then, the Vikings could switch to a respectable font in 2014. I don't think the NFL is going to let the Jaguars off the hook for their helmet disasters after one year, but the Vikings' font could presumably change their font. Also, I fully expect the Jaguars' teal jersey to switch to white numbers after it hits the field for the first time and everybody realizes that the black numbers will dissapear in the sunlight..

OldRomanSig2.jpg

http://www.vikings.c...30-b1b647e6295d

If I was 100X the athlete I am and was picked up by the Vikes this year, I would honestly be more selective about my number than I would with anyone else.. This clip (and the Patterson photo) tells me that I would not want a "4" as my second digit for example.

That's why these numbers have already worn out their welcome. If all jersey's with a "4" on the right look bad, then it's not working.

Prediction: the essence of these uniforms remains for a while, but the number font lasts about as long as the league minimum.

Like I said, number parings aside.

The league minimum likely doesn't apply to the numbers. Teams have to keep the same logos and basically the same jerseys, but there have been instances of teams tweaking things right off the bat. The Jaguars' change in 1997 featured an illegible thin font and black side-panels. The thin font was swapped out for a wider font during the preseason, and the black side-panels were dumped after year one. The Rams' revamp in 2000 featured block numbers and gold side-panels. In 2001, the team switched to the current font. In 2002, they dropped the side panels. Three different years with three different uniforms, even if the "gist" of them was the same. Unless the league has tightened up uniform regulations since then, the Vikings could switch to a respectable font in 2014. I don't think the NFL is going to let the Jaguars off the hook for their helmet disasters after one year, but the Vikings' font could presumably change their font. Also, I fully expect the Jaguars' teal jersey to switch to white numbers after it hits the field for the first time and everybody realizes that the black numbers will dissapear in the sunlight..

I could very much see the jags helmets being altered before the start of the season. Considering that the vikings and dolphins are already wearing their new helmets at mini-camp and the jags are wearing their old ones (which look great btw) they could make the case that due to "technical issues" they are opting out of the black to gold fade and going in a more conservative direction. :Let's be honest there clearly are major quality issues with the helmets and I'd be willing to bet the league would love them to stick with more traditional helmets so a last minute exception could be made. The only real consideration is what merchandise or marketing materials that use the helmet image have already been produced and what the cost would be to reproduce. My guess is the benefits outweigh the costs.

Also keep in mind that seattle didn't immediately unveil the steel blue helmet as part of their set as they opted to do the fan vote so there may be some precedent here.

I could very much see the jags helmets being altered before the start of the season. Considering that the vikings and dolphins are already wearing their new helmets at mini-camp and the jags are wearing their old ones (which look great btw) they could make the case that due to "technical issues" they are opting out of the black to gold fade and going in a more conservative direction. :Let's be honest there clearly are major quality issues with the helmets and I'd be willing to bet the league would love them to stick with more traditional helmets so a last minute exception could be made. The only real consideration is what merchandise or marketing materials that use the helmet image have already been produced and what the cost would be to reproduce. My guess is the benefits outweigh the costs.

Also keep in mind that seattle didn't immediately unveil the steel blue helmet as part of their set as they opted to do the fan vote so there may be some precedent here.

I'm not sure why you'd think that. There's absolutely zero doubt that, in today's NFL, these helmets were thoroughly discussed, test marketed, and league approved.

They do suck... but I believe their suckyness has already passed any vetting that was needed.

I'm not sure why you'd think that. There's absolutely zero doubt that, in today's NFL, these helmets were thoroughly discussed, test marketed, and league approved.

They do suck... but I believe their suckyness has already passed any vetting that was needed.

I would think that because there is precedent for last minute changes when a design looks good on paper and samples are created but the final product completely fails on the field despite a vetting process.

For example:

• Tampa Bay light orange numbers on white jerseys
  • Cleveland Browns orange numbers on brown jerseys
  • Jags narrow drop shadowed number font
  • Oregon's original all yellow uniforms that didn't stand up to laundering
  • Reebok edge jerseys causing too much moisture wicking

I'm sure that there are a ton of other examples that can be provided but these are just some examples of approved designs that turned out to be failures in practice. Given the fact that they can't get the fade consistently looking good, having a plan B would not be a bad idea before the season starts.

I would think that because there is precedent for last minute changes when a design looks good on paper and samples are created but the final product completely fails on the field despite a vetting process.

For example:

I'm sure that there are a ton of other examples that can be provided but these are just some examples of approved designs that turned out to be failures in practice. Given the fact that they can't get the fade consistently looking good, having a plan B would not be a bad idea before the season starts.

Yeah, but those NFL examples all have to do with the legibility of the numbers... it was an actual problem for the announcers to make out the numbers and call the game correctly. The other two examples have to do with performance/durability. There is no precedence for changing a design because it's butt-ugly. Especially since it was butt-ugly from the start and obviously got a seal of approval.

Huh, what's wrong with the 4's on the right? I think it looks good, way better than most proprietary fonts..

The only number I think looks really bad is the 8 with the serif.. looks goofy

And also I noticed that the Vikes are still using their old practice jerseys.. how does that usually work, do they usually update them right away?

For example:

Yeah, but those NFL examples all have to do with the legibility of the numbers... it was an actual problem for the announcers to make out the numbers and call the game correctly. The other two examples have to do with performance/durability. There is no precedence for changing a design because it's butt-ugly. Especially since it was butt-ugly from the start and obviously got a seal of approval.

You're nitpicking now. You asked for examples of uniform components that made it on the field that had been properly "vetted" but failed. Is there precedent for a NFL helmet being approved and not making it to the field? There may be at least one (49ers) possibly a few more. Nonetheless there doesn't have to be precedent for helmets specifically to prove my point that the "vetting" and "approval" process is not prone to failure when the final product makes it on field.

Back to the original point. Jax has not worn new helmets in OTA's which most likely means that they don't have the don't have the design production ready. If the design received a ton of negative feedback or can't be reproduced consistently, there may very well be a Plan B in the works just in case. Obviously as we see more OTA's and make our way to training camp we will see how the situation evolves.

I asked this before but didn't get a response. I'd noticed that a lot of people were talking about how the white pants stripes match the purple jerseys stri[es but not the white jerseys.. but to me it doesn't look like they match either jersey.. if anything to me it looks like the white jerseys match the white pants more because they both have gold and purple stripes whereas the purple jersey has gold and white stripes. What are you guys seeing that I'm not?

007_zpsf72e4268.jpg

I asked this before but didn't get a response. I'd noticed that a lot of people were talking about how the white pants stripes match the purple jerseys stri[es but not the white jerseys.. but to me it doesn't look like they match either jersey.. if anything to me it looks like the white jerseys match the white pants more because they both have gold and purple stripes whereas the purple jersey has gold and white stripes. What are you guys seeing that I'm not?

007_zpsf72e4268.jpg

This might help, neither pair of pants match the away jersey. One the away jersey the yellow stripe is bordered by white, on all of the other parts of the uniform its bordered by purple.

Vikes_zpsf5459d6b.png

007_zpsf72e4268.jpg

This might help, neither pair of pants match the away jersey. One the away jersey the yellow stripe is bordered by white, on all of the other parts of the uniform its bordered by purple.

Vikes_zpsf5459d6b.png

Right. Basically, the white jersey is the only place where the gold is directly bordered by white. Some folks around here are driven crazy by a lack of stripe consistency, others not as much. To me, it depends on the overall design. In this case, what's annoying is that there seems to a fairly easy fix... just use the same pattern/ratio used on the white pants, like so (pardon the quick n dirty)...

Vikes_zps12798317.png

I see the point you guys are making but the purple jersey with the white pants still doesn't really look like it matches to me. The purple on purple does however as they're both mainly purple with a single gold and white stripe on it.

This is what i see as matching

matt_cassel_106880182.jpg

220px-Andrew_Luck_(cropped).jpg

a_moss_il.jpg

Just curious, do the Packers stripes bother you guys? How on the jersey there's a gap between the stripes but on the pants there isn't?

packweb12s-1-web.jpg

Just curious, do the Packers stripes bother you guys? How on the jersey there's a gap between the stripes but on the pants there isn't?

packweb12s-1-web.jpg

Yes. They should get rid of the green in between the yellow and white stripes on the jersey.

packweb12s-1-web.jpg

It does bother me. They got the pants stripe right from 1984-87 and then went back to the wrong ones for some reason after that.

ottis_anderson_1986_12_20.jpg

The helmet stripe should match, too.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I see the point you guys are making but the purple jersey with the white pants still doesn't really look like it matches to me. The purple on purple does however as they're both mainly purple with a single gold and white stripe on it.

This is what i see as matching

matt_cassel_106880182.jpg

220px-Andrew_Luck_(cropped).jpg

a_moss_il.jpg

packweb12s-1-web.jpg

No, absolutely not. In both cases the stripe goes gold/green/white/green/gold. They should get rid of the gap on the road jerseys but keep it on the homes.

packweb12s-1-web.jpg

I don't know what you mean. On the home uniform the Braisher striping is consistent - gold/green/white/green/gold.

The road jersey has striping that varies from the pants and helmets, and I hate it.

alg-aaron-rodgers-throws-jpg.jpg

Looks awful.

Archived