New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

That number font looks even worse than I originally thought. Its just so G-Damned disjointed and all over the place. The sleeve stripes are equally as upsetting to me. I keep getting that same feeling that I get when I see the Charger new unis each year: why bring back a classic just to mess with it?

Hm. I'm having the opposite reaction as to the number font. I seem to notice it less every time I see an image of the new uniforms. If given a magic wand, I'd still most likely change it to the right numeral for both, but I now feel like by the time we get a few games behind us, I probably won't be thinking about it at all.

Purple pants with purple socks, though? I'm never gonna be alright with that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my problem with the purple pants before was how shiny and "pretty" they looked. It just didnt look right at all.

The flat look to them makes me like them a lot more now

I absolutely agree. I couldn't stand that era of shiny materials; I love whatever Nike is using in the NFL. Not only does it look better, I don't have to spend my Sundays watching 350 lb men in shiny pants.

I agree in this case. But do you like a flat gray as opposed to a silver color?

I think my problem with the purple pants before was how shiny and "pretty" they looked. It just didnt look right at all.

I absolutely agree. I couldn't stand that era of shiny materials; I love whatever Nike is using in the NFL. Not only does it look better, I don't have to spend my Sundays watching 350 lb men in shiny pants.

I disagree, and think that shiny pants are better in all cases, and absolutely should be mandatory for all metallic colors (except maybe for the 49ers).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm just getting to see some of these changes now, so forgive my ignorance.

1. Was there a reason given for only putting the spiky things on the first numeral? I get the flag effect that they're going for (that was it, right?) but wouldn't it make sense to use both numbers, or just the second one and not the first? Also if that's what they're going for, why not use the spikey number for the single-digit jerseys?

2. The asymetrical pants are fine, but the thick part needs to be in the front, not the back. Just like when there's multiple colors, I think it always looks better with the dark color in the front (take the Eagles white pants for example.)

3. That helmet looks terrible in the matte finish. I'm not against matte in general, but man does it create some color mismatches, and it doesn't really add anything to the look here. I realize that purple is the hardest color to match across materials, but I think that the former effect of having the helmet appear a little darker than the jersey was preferable to having it look like a totally different shade of the color with the same brightness.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1. Was there a reason given for only putting the spiky things on the first numeral? I get the flag effect that they're going for (that was it, right?) but wouldn't it make sense to use both numbers, or just the second one and not the first? Also if that's what they're going for, why not use the spikey number for the single-digit jerseys?

They're not supposed to be flags. Rather they're a means to "lock" the numbers together to evoke the general shape of the sail of a viking ship. A bit over-thought, in my opinion.

I disagree, and think that shiny pants are better in all cases, and absolutely should be mandatory for all metallic colors (except maybe for the 49ers).

I guess I'm on the fence about the gold/silver pantaloons. On one hand, I prefer the flat look, but when your helmet is a silver/gold, and you have the flat pants, something just seems off. It doesn't bother me like some other folks on these boards, but it does seem like something's missing.

However, almost any other color looked bad to me. Again, just my opinion.

qvAvG.jpg

3. That helmet looks terrible in the matte finish. I'm not against matte in general, but man does it create some color mismatches, and it doesn't really add anything to the look here. I realize that purple is the hardest color to match across materials, but I think that the former effect of having the helmet appear a little darker than the jersey was preferable to having it look like a totally different shade of the color with the same brightness.

Yeah, I'm not against all matte helmets, but I dislike these a little more each time I see them. The helmet and jersey look even more mismatched now than the throwbacks they've been wearing. Then you have the black facemask which only matches the shoes. The worst part is that I really like the helmet on its own, it just doesn't work with the rest of the uniform. I like the way the black facemask looks with the black on the helmet logo. I like how the helmet logo looks on the matte helmet. I even think the finish itself is really cool.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I agree in this case. But do you like a flat gray as opposed to a silver color?

agree as well, when it comes to silver and metallic colors that might be my exception. the lions with silver helmets and silver pants looked pretty cool, kind of like armor. the 49ers are beautiful as is, it's got such a strong vintage feel to it now. same for Notre Dame. generally though, i'm all about the flat color, and shiny uniforms should have died with disco. grey is fine with me, but i think Nike's textile color is too light

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Keep in mind, re: the inside lights, this is the last year of the Metrodome. They will play 2 years outdoors, then the new stadium, which could have completely different lights/be retractable. So, designing these to mesh well with the old (well, probably new since the dome collapsed) Dome lights probably wasn't considered.

They're not supposed to be flags. Rather they're a means to "lock" the numbers together to evoke the general shape of the sail of a viking ship. A bit over-thought, in my opinion.

Considering it doesn't "lock" straight edged second numbers, it's really stupid. Actually it's stupid anyway.

I did a pen and paper concept a few years ago where the numbers were rounded block but with "horns" on the top left and top right of the left and right digits respectively. If they really wanted two separate types of each number for right and left, that woulda worked much better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

remember how people complained that in the old days the helmet purple did not match the jersey purple? well the matte helmet does not match the jersey purple.

I thought I was just seeing things but this is true. Mismatched purples in the name of matte helmets

Midway.png

Archived