Maple Leafs & Red Wings Winter Classic Jersey

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they do 2 jerseys for each team. What happens if Detroit plays in another Winter Classic? (I am sure that they will). They don't really have any more jerseys to throwback to. Will they use the throwbacks that they wore 20 years ago?

YzermanInThrowback.jpg

I hate anything that has anything to do with the Detroit Red Wings, but I admit that I like the WC jersey. And I think the vintage white looks good. I never understood the love for the set that they're going to wear in the alumni game, which is similar to their last WC set. Every time I see that "D", all I can think about is Donatos pizza.

Vintage white is terrible most of the time. Particularly on this new Red Wings jersey and the Minnesota third posted earlier

MInnesota doesn't have vintage white, they have "wheat" as an official team color.

Same colour, different name...

vintagewhite.png

But Minnesota had wheat LOOOONNNGG before this crappy vintage white trend began, but it basically came to be used as vintage white when they introduced their red alt. That jersey also started the roundel and fauxback trend.

:cursing: Minnesota WIld!!! :cursing:

202087063.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

But Minnesota had wheat LOOOONNNGG before this crappy vintage white trend began, but it basically came to be used as vintage white when they introduced their red alt. That jersey also started the roundel and fauxback trend.

:cursing: Minnesota WIld!!! :cursing:

202087063.jpg

To me they wasted quite a good logo by sticking it into a roundel. Oh, well.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I can nitpick on each jersey but I definitely approve of the overall looks and I think this game is going to be drop-dead gorgeous to watch from an aesthetic perspective. The vibrant blues and reds of two classic franchises on a white sheet of ice in front of over 100,000 at The Big House? Must-see TV. And I loathe both clubs.

Quick 'n dirty bleach white. Not sure if I like it.

vzRNSjM.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Quick 'n dirty bleach white. Not sure if I like it.

vzRNSjM.jpg

Much better.

BUT I hate fauxbacks. The Red Wings wore that number font for 1 year and everybody hated it. The stripes on the sleeves and hem are more modern than anything and the yoke on a team that has never worn a yoke is really out of place. Jersey gets a big NO from me. If they wear tan pants with these then I will throw a temper tantrum.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My biggest issue with this Wings jersey is that it grows back to nothing. We have a bunch of unique jerseys in our history, and it's just a hodge podge of randomness. It seems inspired by the 1928 Cougars, but the yoke stripes make no sense, and we've never worn those sleeve stripes. If I had to guess, striping was inspired by 1929.

Why not just replicate something that has already existed? And leave the vintage white at home, please. We've always worn red and white, nothing else.

Why not just replicate something that has already existed?

Exactly what I was thinking. While I hate fauxbacks of all kinds, I at least understand why newer teams wear them, since they have no real history to throw back to. But when you have an Original Six team with almost 90 years of history, it's terrible stupid to make a pretend-vintage uniform.

I wonder if the Leafs will be wearing beige pants (though they could get away with wearing blue) and gloves. At the very least, it would be cool to see the goalies wear brown "leather" equipment:

10403493-large.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Why not just replicate something that has already existed?

Exactly what I was thinking. While I hate fauxbacks of all kinds, I at least understand why newer teams wear them, since they have no real history to throw back to. But when you have an Original Six team with almost 90 years of history, it's terrible stupid to make a pretend-vintage uniform.

I wonder if the Leafs will be wearing beige pants (though they could get away with wearing blue) and gloves. At the very least, it would be cool to see the goalies wear brown "leather" equipment:

10403493-large.jpg

When you think about it, the goal is creating something that will sell. It's tougher to sell a throwback that people already own, or one that's already for sale somewhere else, like at Mitchell and Ness or Ebbetts Field. One way to do that is to create something unique that pays homage to the complete history of the team or area. Because the Red Wings' uniform has been so consistent since they became the Red Wings, there's not much differentiation for the average fan in a true throwback.

I'm not a huge fan of the mashup concept, but I'm not the average fan, either.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Some eBay retailers are selling the new Winter Classic replicas already. They're tagged as a Reebok model 7212 jersey, and are made in Indonesia.

RIP, Canadian-made CCM 550 replica jerseys, 1993(?)-2012.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hate the fake throwback jerseys. I don't get the point for an old franchise. If Minnesota was in a Winter Classic, they could do a fauxback because they have no other choice. But it makes no sense for Detroit, New York, Philly, or any other WC team so far.

TDetroit could have worn these.

Cougars4.png

Or slapped a Red Wing logo on these

Cougars3.png

The Flyers could have worn these (change the script to Flyers)

Quakers.png

The Rangers could have worn these

Rangers24.png

and so on.....

Archived