Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get it, the new "Hornets" are not the OLD "Hornets". But the history of basketball in Charlotte deserves to stay there.

Anyone who thinks the old Hornets history belongs with the Pelicans has their priorities out of whack.

Wrong. Franchise continuity trumps all. Historical reality includes even the bits we don't like. The people with the messed-up priorities are the ones playing "let's pretend" with the facts of history.

Charlotte Hornets / New Orleans Hornets / New Orleans Pelicans are one franchise; and Charlotte Bobcats / Charlotte Hornets are another franchise. This doesn't mean the Bobcats/Hornets franchise cannot pay homage to the memory of the Hornets/Pelicans franchise; but they are two separate entities, and ought to be treated that way. (Which is the way the NHL is treating the new version of the Winnipeg Jets.)

F-you, expansion Cleveland Browns, for having set this ugly precedent of mucking up franchise history lines.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

the difference with the Browns is this. The NFL from the start (1995-96) gave Modell a new franchise in Balt with Cleveland's players and mothball the Browns for 3 seasons. they never had it Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens. the Ravens were always a different franchise.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Wow. The history is returning.

I can't watch the press conference in class :( did they specify the which "history" is returning? Do the cities just keep their respective histories? Feels messy

It is. And pointless too.

Kemba Walker ain't gonna be better at shooting threes now that he is following in Glen Rice's illustrious footsteps.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I get it, the new "Hornets" are not the OLD "Hornets". But the history of basketball in Charlotte deserves to stay there.

Anyone who thinks the old Hornets history belongs with the Pelicans has their priorities out of whack.

Aside from the name, there is literally nothing tying the two organizations together. Different logo, uniforms, arena, players, management. There's about as much continuity here as in your average episode of Star Trek Voyager.

Also, there was nothing stopping the Bobcats or Hornets Mistaken from using the players of the Hornets Departed as local ambassadors. You don't need their stat sheets to forge a connection with them.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Okay, so I pretty much absolutely feel like talking about the franchise thing after I watched that.

The one part I kind of dislike (note : not hate, you don't waste your life hating things like this) the fact that joining the history is awkward because when Charlotte got an NBA team again, they were the Bobcats rather (because NOLA kept the name) and that there's this year of nothing essentially.

Counting the cities records overall sounds great to me and I think will be nice in the long haul. I mean really, I have a jersey and hat just from thrifting, it's easy to get gear to support the team which may initially sound silly to some but a lot of the older apparel is in again. Also for them to now have the grounds of truly welding the old image with the new I personally think has it's benefits.

So to say the least, I actually support the whole city franchise history thing.

However, my god this is going to be confusing for the first while. I mean I have it pieced together in my head now, I understand and I have the full comprehension. But thinking of things like how the site here would list it... cause I mean the Browns simply were treated as if they had off time. But then does that mean on the site here we link the old Hornets logos to the new ones? Do we do the Hornets, Bobcats and new Hornets in the timeline. That is just flat out messy on paper. Though I like the people I know who still think the Hornets were in Charlotte anyways.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Wrong. Franchise continuity trumps all. Historical reality includes even the bits we don't like. The people with the messed-up priorities are the ones playing "let's pretend" with the facts of history.

Charlotte Hornets / New Orleans Hornets / New Orleans Pelicans are one franchise; and Charlotte Bobcats / Charlotte Hornets are another franchise. This doesn't mean the Bobcats/Hornets franchise cannot pay homage to the memory of the Hornets/Pelicans franchise; but they are two separate entities, and ought to be treated that way. (Which is the way the NHL is treating the new version of the Winnipeg Jets.)

F-you, expansion Cleveland Browns, for having set this ugly precedent of mucking up franchise history lines.

Wrong. The Bobcats didn't get the team history right away, silly. It has everything to do with the NAME. The branding.

Baltimore COLTS history stays with the Indianapolis COLTS.

Cleveland BROWNS history stays with the Cleveland BROWNS.

Charlotte HORNETS history stays with the Charlotte HORNETS.

And WHEN Seattle gets their NBA team back, and WHEN they become the Supersonics again, the fans should get their history back too.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Wrong. The Bobcats didn't get the team history right away, silly. It has everything to do with the NAME. The branding.

Baltimore COLTS history stays with the Indianapolis COLTS.

Cleveland BROWNS history stays with the Cleveland BROWNS.

Charlotte HORNETS history stays with the Charlotte HORNETS.

And WHEN Seattle gets their NBA team back, and WHEN they become the Supersonics again, the fans should get their history back too.

At the rate Seattle's going, there aren't going to be any of the old Sonics fans left around. Anyway, customers have few rights in every other business in this country. Why should sports be different?

Today, we are all otaku.

I understand that this is not the exact same thing as the Browns/Ravens example. But the NFL lowered the bar in terms of spitting in the eye of historical reality by considering the relocated Browns "a new franchise". This has opened the door to even worse transgressions, such as this one with the Hornets. Even Major League Baseball has been affected, as the Washington Nationals ignore their franchise history as the Montreal Expos, and claim a fictitious origin date of 1905.

The only right way is the way that the American League handled the move of the Washington Senators to Minnesota and the simultaneous creation of the new Senators. There was never even a thought of "transferring the history" or of calling the relocated team "a new franchise". This was the only way imaginable until the NFL and the Browns screwed it up.

Thankfully, the NHL is clear that Winnipeg Jets / Phoenix Coyotes is one franchise and Atlanta Thrashers / Winnipeg Jets is another franchise. That is the sensible model that the NBA needed to follow. Instead, they contribute to the trashing of history, like a post-modernist who denies the existence of objective reality. Idiots.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

So is Charlotte keeping Bobcats history in the books or are they just going to sweep that under the rug and move on? I wouldn't mind one day seeing throwbacks to the first Bobcats set, but that probably wont happen for at least 10/20 years when people get nostalgic about the early 2000's the same way we're all about the 90's now. Baggy white tees and all white air force ones everywhere, I can see it now...

GO NETS.

Anyway, customers have few rights in every other business in this country. Why should sports be different?

Public financing of venues, arguably.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyway, customers have few rights in every other business in this country. Why should sports be different?

Public financing of venues, arguably.

Ehhh....when you factor in corporate welfare, the public's paying for a lot of other businesses as well.

So is Charlotte keeping Bobcats history in the books or are they just going to sweep that under the rug and move on? I wouldn't mind one day seeing throwbacks to the first Bobcats set, but that probably wont happen for at least 10/20 years when people get nostalgic about the early 2000's the same way we're all about the 90's now. Baggy white tees and all white air force ones everywhere, I can see it now...

The Bobcats never happened. They were always the Hornets. They never left. (this is so going to happen, just watch.)

Today, we are all otaku.

So they are doing the stupid thing and acting like the Hornets never left and that the Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets never really existed. Is it really that hard for people to make the distinction between new Hornets/old Hornets? This is impossible to justify, and exactly why I was so bitter over the New Orleans Hornets throwing their own history away.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

the colts history with the colts because it is the same franchise same with the browns ( because of the deal at the time) the Charlotte Hornets became the New Orleans Hornets in 2002 and now 12 years later we are pretending this didn't happen. if it is base on team name does the Houston Texans get the dallas Texans history instead of Kansas city?

maybe my dream can come true the Minnesota Wild can be renamed the North Stars and get their history back as well.. hey if you can have the st Louis blues and Columbus blue jackets why not the dallas stars and Minnesota north stars?

Archived