2013 NBA Playoffs

JMurr

I think all this "bad refereeing" is more Heat hate than anything else. Like it or not, Miami earned tonight's win. Get over it, people.

"Get over it" is the equivalent of "suck it." I don't get it. So are you a Heat fan, or a LeBron fan, or what? I just don't understand. If you're a Heat/LeBron fan, I'm pretty much going to ignore every further post of yours in this thread for the sake of mental clarity. If you're some hybrid of a NBA Integrity Knight, I could probably learn to deal with that.

Otherwise you're better off just posting these after every Heat/LeBron achievement:

UvbBU.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all this "bad refereeing" is more Heat hate than anything else. Like it or not, Miami earned tonight's win. Get over it, people.

"Get over it" is the equivalent of "suck it." I don't get it. So are you a Heat fan, or a LeBron fan, or what? I just don't understand.

Believe it or not, I'm rooting AGAINST Miami in this series, for the same reasons as the majority of you (The Decision, douchebaggery, D-Wade's Capri pants, etc.). However, just because I want to see Miami's season die in a fiery crash, doesn't mean I must declare that the NBA is rigged in Miami's favor because San Antonio choked up the title in grand fashion.

In my two previous posts, I pointed out that Manu took a good four or five steps while driving the lane (wrong non-call) and that Bosh's game-saving block was pretty damn clean (right non-call). So how can the league be rigging it for Miami when the Spurs were the only team who "got away with one" in a major situation last night?

All I'm doing is calling it how I see it, while trying to stay objective. But hey, if you don't like it....

DEAL-WITH-IT-montage.gif

6uXNWAo.png

Want someone to blame guys? Blame Gregg Popovich for benching Duncan on two possessions in regulation where one defensive rebound would have all but sealed the win. That's all-time sh.t right there. Duncan gets those rebounds, or at the very least helps a teammate secure it. That's what he does and what he had been doing all damn night. While you're at it, you can also blame Popovich for not only never benching Ginobili's washed-up ass, but repeatedly putting the ball back in his hands and letting him have run of the court, which of course would always end in either a turnover or a reckless shot in traffic every time down. Watching that catastrophe was like watching an old dog scampering his way around my living room and stopping only to take a giant crap on my rug. It was embarrassing.

Popovich threw the game by out-thinking himself and getting too cute with his lineups, and deserves to be spit-roasted by the media and whoever else. Won't happen though, too much legacy, media fools are too blinded by past success to recognize failure in the present.

LeBron and the Heat are not getting the MJ/Bulls or Kobe/Lakers treatment.

You're right. They're getting their own silver platter not Kobe nor Jordan ever got.

I really hope you're kidding.

The Bulls had to contend with NFL-style tackles from the "Bad Boys" Pistons and hand-checking from the Knicks in their heyday.

....until Stern neutered both with rule changes DURING Jordan's career.

Those Lakers didn't have the luxury of playing zone defense (as it was banned for the most of their three-peat run), meaning that they had to play man-to-man, creating such mismatches on position battles.

The Lakers did have the luxury of actually rigged series such as 2002.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

"Get over it" is the equivalent of "suck it." I don't get it. So are you a Heat fan, or a LeBron fan, or what? I just don't understand.

Believe it or not, I'm rooting AGAINST Miami in this series, for the same reasons as the majority of you (The Decision, douchebaggery, D-Wade's Capri pants, etc.). However, just because I want to see Miami's season die in a fiery crash, doesn't mean I must declare that the NBA is rigged in Miami's favor because San Antonio choked up the title in grand fashion.

In my two previous posts, I pointed out that Manu took a good four or five steps while driving the lane (wrong non-call) and that Bosh's game-saving block was pretty damn clean (right non-call). So how can the league be rigging it for Miami when the Spurs were the only team who "got away with one" in a major situation last night?

All I'm doing is calling it how I see it, while trying to stay objective. But hey, if you don't like it....

DEAL-WITH-IT-montage.gif

If the refs called a foul on either of those two plays that would have been an injustice. Bosh completly stuffed Green and it was 100% clean and if they were not going to call Manu Ginobili looking like a running back they were not going to call a foul.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I was going to ask for the slow mo video but that GIF will do, where exactly is the foul?

To the people crying "rigged," do you really think the NBA is "rigged" or is that just the cool thing to say now? Show me one instance in this game where some "rigging" occurred. A call that's so obviously wrong a professional referee couldn't have made it. Lets see it

Danny Green could not land on his feet and fell into the bench because of the contact made by Bosh (momentum played a part in his falling too). In other words Bosh took the landing space away from Green and that is why it should have been called a foul. Similar to one of Ray Allen's 4pt play last game.

But it's not a big deal, referees were never going to call that regardless of which team is shooting. Pretty much everyone knows if its not a major foul then the referees like to just let it play out at end games situations like this, so they are consistent in that regards. Plus Spurs got the benefit of the doubt for most of the game so not sure what conspiracy theorists are going on about. Actually thinking about it, in the series Spurs have gotten the 50/50 calls in their favour more than Heat.

Both teams benefitted from non-calls throughout the game. Only one team benefitted from Chris Bosh stuffing guards down the stretch. He had an awesome last six minutes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

LeBron and the Heat are not getting the MJ/Bulls or Kobe/Lakers treatment.

You're right. They're getting their own silver platter not Kobe nor Jordan ever got. The Bulls had to contend with NFL-style tackles from the "Bad Boys" Pistons and hand-checking from the Knicks in their heyday. Those Lakers didn't have the luxury of playing zone defense (as it was banned for the most of their three-peat run), meaning that they had to play man-to-man, creating such mismatches on position battles.

Miami is in the Pax Romana of offensive basketball right now, where the slightest contact is a foul, flops are ravenous and common, and all LeBron can do is bulldoze to the paint, flail his arms up and expect a whistle. Yeah, the "Heat are the innocent victims of the officiating."

Put the tin foil hat down.

Kobe is still Stern's King.

And like some on here, you think the NBA rigged Laker games for them to be in the postseason, where the Spurs swept them out in double-digit victories for all four games. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

First, there is no "tinfoil hat" in regards to this. I am simply saying that any preferential treatment the Heat are getting is minor to non-existiant. Your comments about the Bad Boys and the zone have nothing to do with preferential treatment of the teams/players. I never said or implied that the Heat were victims. In fact, I said with a somewhat surprised feeling, that it has been fairly two-sided. I'll take two-sided bad officiating over one-sided competent officiating any day.

Next: I don't literally think the league is "rigged". But it's not all or none...there are some legitimacy concerns (and rightly so). The officiating hedges the NBA's bets by giving the edge to better teams and superstars, making them more likely to advance. They don't sit in a room and say "OK, the Lakers are going to win this one in 6." This Lakers team was flat out not good enough to get there, but if they would have been good enough to play a close series, favorable calls would have improved their chances. Again, it's not "rigged" or "totally legit". It's in between.

NOBODY denies that stars get preferential treatment. That in and of itself takes away from the league's legitimacy. I am simply saying that LeBron, despite being the current best player in the world, does not in these playoffs get the preferential treatment that Kobe and MJ got...and maybe I am wrong...I am not a hard core NBA fan and I don't watch every minute of these games...this is my perception in what I do watch. LBJ almost choked the game away by tightening up and turning the ball over; and he'd have deserved the criticism. But I truly believe that Kobe gets a foul called on most of those. LBJ's offensive foul away from the ball (in crunch time with 3 or 4 mins left) was a good call. But I don't think they make that call on Kobe. And I am not complaining for LeBron and the Heat (of whom I am not a fan), as much as I am expressing the surprise. It's not that they should give LeBron that treatment, it's that they should stop giving it to Kobe. I admit a little frustration because I hate Kobe and don't like that he is the #1 of one-sided calls...but above all I just with "superstar" treatment would go away. But as a fan of one of the three or so most meaningless (and non-TV-viewer generating) teams, I suppose I should just get over it.

And finally, a Laker fan complaining about other teams being favored and his team not being favored? Whatever makes YOU sleep at night.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

http://www.sun-senti...0,5604940.story

Miami fans left early, then wanted back in after the Heat tied it.

This is the reason the rest of the country wants the Heat to lose.

Bruins fans did the exact same thing during their comeback against the Leafs, but I don't see anyone bashing their fanbase or hoping they lose because of it.

xLmjWVv.png

Both teams benefitted from non-calls throughout the game. Only one team benefitted from Chris Bosh stuffing guards down the stretch. He had an awesome last six minutes.

LeBron and Ray Allen stepped up big-time down the stretch as well. Wade sucked and ruined the team's spacing, but I can't stand Wade anyway, so I've enjoyed watching him suck ass in the playoffs.

xLmjWVv.png

On 6/19/2013 at 8:58 AM, Lights Out said:
On 6/19/2013 at 7:59 AM, McCarthy said:

Bruins fans did the exact same thing during their comeback against the Leafs, but I don't see anyone bashing their fanbase or hoping they lose because of it.

It was all funny to watch, but the shot at the end of Bosh and (whoever) high-fiving, shows the seats pretty full. I don't think as many fans left as we have led ourselves to believe. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Do you live in Miami? Why are you defending what is overly documented as the most fair-weather sports city in the country?

I am actually rooting against Boston because of their fans, but that's mostly because I'm tired of Boston sports fans getting to experience so much good fortune. The only reason I'm not more gung-ho about rooting against them in the finals is because they dispatched evil in the conference finals.

I'm not going to defend the Bruins fans because I never leave sporting events early. BUT, there's a difference between what happened there and what happened last night in Miami. A three goal deficit with 9 minutes left is almost impossible. The fact that they came back from that is one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. The Heat were only down, what, 5, with about a minute left? Hardly insurmountable. To leave during that deficit, and during an elimination game in the finals no less is inexcusable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Do you live in Miami? Why are you defending what is overly documented as the most fair-weather sports city in the country?

I am actually rooting against Boston because of their fans, but that's mostly because I'm tired of Boston sports fans getting to experience so much good fortune. The only reason I'm not more gung-ho about rooting against them in the finals is because they dispatched evil in the conference finals.

I'm not going to defend the Bruins fans because I never leave sporting events early. BUT, there's a difference between what happened there and what happened last night in Miami. A three goal deficit with 9 minutes left is almost impossible. The fact that they came back from that is one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. The Heat were only down, what, 5, with about a minute left? Hardly insurmountable. To leave during that deficit, and during an elimination game in the finals no less is inexcusable.

Tell me about it. I have a "little" cousin who grew up in Mass. He's 21 and has experienced all four titles. What a punk.

Anyway, I would argue a five-point lead with 28 seconds left is almost as big as 3-down with 9 minutes. I suppose you could find more similar NBA comebacks to NHL, but the "down" feeling fans should have is probably similar. It's all splitting hairs anyway. I cannot speak for these fans, but I am with you. In either case, I don't leave because I know that while I am probably in for a loss, that 1% chance I see something historical would be sickening to miss. Fans have the right to leave, but any that do set themselves up to be chumps. I get it on a Tuesday in February against the Bobcats, but in a truly big game, stick it out until it's unfathomable (like down 19 with 28 seconds left).

I am glad they did not let those fans back in.

POTD (Shared)

Yes, but even then, you can delineate a few key differences there:

1) 28 seconds left in the game. Even with the way basketball games take forever to play their final minute, would it really have been that hard to stick around for 28 more game seconds? Basically, if you've gone that far, you might as well stick it out for the duration. Furthermore, the Heat are a team loaded with able three-point shooters, meaning a five-point deficit is navigable with a touch of luck, and they are the defending champions and two-time defending conference champions. Heat fans who left under those circumstances were just as much frustrated as much as they were just spoiled.

2) The Bruins were trailing 4-1 in the 3rd period (two goals allowed in the period) against a hated rival, having blown a 3-1 series lead as it was, and this being on the heels of being a one-and-done in 2012 despite being a #2 seed, thanks in large part because they lost three home games in that series. On the whole, they had lost five of their last six home playoff games, and were on the verge of six out of seven. And, yes, I know they won the Cup in 2011; their* only Cup in the past 41 seasons (hey, still better than the Leafs, right?).

Hey, it's pretty obvious that we are the kinds of people who never leave until a game is over, and I'm not fond at all of those who do leave early, but I don't want to pigeon-hole those Bruins fans and their palpable frustration with the Heat fans and their almost entirely unjustifiable frustration.

*jeez, I never make that mistake. Fixed.

spacer.png

Truthfully, on the topic of leaving early, it is hypocritical to criticize anyone's fan base for leaving early because, unfortunately, every fan base has people who leave early. It is an unfortunate fact that the average fan is extremely fair weather, and only pays attention if their team is doing well, and that is with every franchise. I was always told that you never leave a game early, because it could turn out to be the greatest game ever.

In a similar situation, as a college student, I find it even more annoying when people show up for two quarters of a game because they need to get drunk, complain about not getting the best seats despite the fact that I waited in line early to get the best ones (and camped out once or twice), then leave once we go down by any margin.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Yes, but even then, you can delineate a few key differences there:

1) 28 seconds left in the game. Even with the way basketball games take forever to play their final minute, would it really have been that hard to stick around for 28 more game seconds? Basically, if you've gone that far, you might as well stick it out for the duration. Furthermore, the Heat are a team loaded with able three-point shooters, meaning a five-point deficit is navigable with a touch of luck, and they are the defending champions and two-time defending conference champions. Heat fans who left under those circumstances were just as much frustrated as much as they were just spoiled.

2) The Bruins were trailing 4-1 in the 3rd period (two goals allowed in the period) against a hated rival, having blown a 3-1 series lead as it was, and this being on the heels of being a one-and-done in 2012 despite being a #2 seed, thanks in large part because they lost three home games in that series. On the whole, they had lost five of their last six home playoff games, and were on the verge of six out of seven. And, yes, I know they won the Cup in 2011; they're only Cup in the past 41 seasons (hey, still better than the Leafs, right?).

Hey, it's pretty obvious that we are the kinds of people who never leave until a game is over, and I'm not fond at all of those who do leave early, but I don't want to pigeon-hole those Bruins fans and their palpable frustration with the Heat fans and their almost entirely unjustifiable frustration.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say; I'd say the Bruin comeback was the more unlikely of the two. But I think it's somewhat splitting hairs nonetheless.

I had not heard about the Bruin fans leaving. I guess this was a bigger deal because 1) we like to hate on the Heat and Miami and 2) the NBA just gets that much more attention.

As for fans like that everywhere, yeah. I was at a Minnesota/Northwestern football game a couple of years ago. I think NW won 29-28. With about three minutes left (and the game VERY much in question) the guy in front of me (and his kid) says goodbye to the people he'd been talking to and leaves. As far as I could tell there was no circumstance under which he'd have stayed until the end. If it's that important to "beat traffic" then why even go? And drive through downtown Minneapolis in about the 4th inning of any Twins game. Lots of families in Twins gear walking away from the ballpark. I'd argue the kids must be too young....ugh.

In any case, I do think most of us are on the same page...we'd have all been there to see the exciting ends.

POTD (Shared)

Was watching ESPN this morning and saw the footage of the early leaving fans trying to run back in. As sad and embarrassing as that was the video took an epic turn when the security guard slams the door shut in front of them. Awesome.

Archived