2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Sorry if this was already posted, but here's more details about the goalie pad downsizing.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/report-nhl-to-propose-significant-goalie-pad-downsizing/

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy McDonald has retired.

t_36196.jpg

Sorry to see ya go, Andy Mac. My favorite player in the post-Kariya/pre-Getzlaf-Perry era. Pretty effective in his (Mighty) Ducks career. Centered Selanne and Kunitz on the "top line" of the 2007 Cup team. (I'd argue Getzlaf/Perry/Penner became the top line by the Cup Final, but eh, semantics.) He was the unfortunate casualty of the Neidermayer-Selanne-retire/Schneider-Bertuzzi-sign/Neidermayer-Selanne-return salary cap crisis after the Cup win. Traded away for freaking Doug Weight at the end of his career. (Good job, Burke...) Damn shame he's another one of the "post concussion symptoms" retirement pile.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think that if Ottawa drafts Stephen Harper from the Erie Otters, if the prime minister doesn't show up to his first game he should finally be run out of office.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

The Oilers dumped their coach after just one year. http://www.cbssports...h-ralph-krueger

That's totally fair. One season, with that season consisting of a lockout, a week-long training camp, a compacted 48-game season giving little-to-no time for real practices.....hardly a fair shake.

That move makes Al Davis look like a man of patience....

In a vacuum, it wasn't a terrible move. Krueger was the play-not-to-losiest coach in a whole league that's been utterly beset by playing not to lose (I think he got the gig on the heels of the Swiss national team doing such a great job playing not to lose), and really seemed to make some baffling lineup/matchup choices. That said, this means the Oilers will have their fifth coach in six years. Even for the NHL, which goes through coaches like toilet paper, that's crazy, and is highly detrimental to the development of the vaunted young core. Of course, the core might not matter that much if dumbass MacTavish actually trades Yakupov for a royal sampler. It's hard to shrug your shoulders and say "new GM wants his own guy" when the new GM is just one of their many failed coaches and a guy who, like so many Edmonton executives, only has the job because of Outstanding Achievement In The Field Of Having Played With Wayne Gretzky.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Dunno, I'm of the opinion that MacT got the Oilers to overachieve while he was the coach. He was able to squeeze a hell of a lot out of the players he had.

That being said, they really do hire from within far too much. I understand that they wanted to get The Next Great NHL Coaching SuperstarTM Dallas Eakins before he had a chance to listen to what real teams were offering, but there's also a chance that they had to hire him because I dunno, Glenn Anderson was busy.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That the Rangers are looking to hire Gretzky (awful coaching experience) or Messier (no coaching experience) just tickles me. Ripping off the Oilers one more time for the road.

The lack of talent also included Wayne Gretzky's half-assed coaching. They spent more money under Moyes as an organization than they have under league control. They signed UFAs, they were just crappy and old and went there to hang out in semi-retirement. Does Gretzky even want to coach again? If so, does he want to do it because he enjoys doing it, or does he just want to somehow undo his Phoenix tenure? And between the Knicks and the Rangers, why is Dolan such a jock-sniffer? Let actual coaches coach; let actual executives...execute?

Archived