2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28 over 7 is a pretty great deal for Nashville. Roman Josi must not think much of himself or of his prospects for working and living in a place better than Nashville.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The amount of Penguins fans yinzers upset about Bylsma staying makes me uncomfortable. Who the hell else do you want? Tortarella? Because he yells and hollers and throws a fit when he's unhappy (so.. always)? Vingneault? Because he will save us from choking in the playoffs. Bylsma has coached the equivalent of only four full seasons. Some guys don't even last that long. Ever think he needs to learn from his mistakes or when he is outcoached? You know what, that Sidney Crosby kid is a bum. Didn't do crap in the Boston series. Trade him.

You aren't going to win the cup every year, and coaches get outcoached just like players get outplayed. It's easier to tweak an existing system and get players for it in an offseason like this where you're losing a bunch of guys no matter what and can do that, than it is to teach the new guys and the current guys a completely new system with a different coach. Wonder how the yinzers would react to the results of that scenario. "WE'RE NOT IN THE TOP THREE THIS TEAM SUCKS TRADE EM ALL BAHHHHHHHH!!!!11!!1!!"

The Penguins are approaching Steelers territory in terms of the amount of yinzer attention they get. Stick to football. Speaking of which, where's the calling for Tomlin's head? Dude is as soft as an ice cream cone left out in the sun and has no control over his players whatsoever, but he's a Steelers coach and the Rooney's know not how to do wrong, so it's okay.

oBIgzrL.png

Sharks extend Todd McLellan for two more years.

0pXpTyd.png

He's just a little incompetent! It's still good! It's still good!

How is he incompetent? In five years, he's coached them to a President's Trophy, two Conference Finals and a record of 202-92-41. Sounds like a good investment to a lot of teams.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The Sharks' model of two lines and a prayer is fundamentally broken and perpetuating it will only make things worse when it finally falls apart; there's no reason to keep him or that core there another day. Or you can just have 35, 36, 37, 38-year-old Thornton and Marleau dragging a bunch of tomato cans to the first two rounds over and over. Perhaps by then Logan Couture will have summoned his animal friends to help.

But no, I've never been terribly impressed by McLellan. I don't know how much of the Sharks derping it year after year is coaching and how much is roster management, but eventually enough is enough already.

Mentioning that Presidents' Trophy is just an easy way to remind people that he coached a Presidents' Trophy, one-and-done playoff team in 2009.

It's better to stay away from that.

Untitled_zps6eb1b933.jpg

That was fun.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Now that Viktor Stalberg has been benched in the Final for the worst player on the roster, it should be clear that he will not be returning to the Hawks next year. And that's fine, really; he was terrific against awful teams and invisible against good ones (although Bollig is awful against every team). I was thinking that he'd be a good project player for a team in a division full of crap, but then I remembered that Chicago's division next year will feature Colorado, Dallas, Nashville, and Winnipeg.

D'OH

The amount of Penguins fans yinzers upset about Bylsma staying makes me uncomfortable. Who the hell else do you want? Tortarella? Because he yells and hollers and throws a fit when he's unhappy (so.. always)? Vingneault? Because he will save us from choking in the playoffs. Bylsma has coached the equivalent of only four full seasons. Some guys don't even last that long. Ever think he needs to learn from his mistakes or when he is outcoached? You know what, that Sidney Crosby kid is a bum. Didn't do crap in the Boston series. Trade him.

You aren't going to win the cup every year, and coaches get outcoached just like players get outplayed. It's easier to tweak an existing system and get players for it in an offseason like this where you're losing a bunch of guys no matter what and can do that, than it is to teach the new guys and the current guys a completely new system with a different coach. Wonder how the yinzers would react to the results of that scenario. "WE'RE NOT IN THE TOP THREE THIS TEAM SUCKS TRADE EM ALL BAHHHHHHHH!!!!11!!1!!"

The Penguins are approaching Steelers territory in terms of the amount of yinzer attention they get. Stick to football. Speaking of which, where's the calling for Tomlin's head? Dude is as soft as an ice cream cone left out in the sun and has no control over his players whatsoever, but he's a Steelers coach and the Rooney's know not how to do wrong, so it's okay.

What about Lindy Ruff? He can coach an offensive team when he actually has the talent, which only happened for a few years in Buffalo.

I would actually have been okay with Ruff. If he's still on the market this time next year and Disco Dan has pulled off another embarrassing collapse, he'd be my top choice to make the switch.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived