NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

Ok. We all need to talk about something. No amount of fan backlash in this day and age will can a planned logo/uniform switch. Yes, the 49ers' one day helmet wasn't THAT long ago, but sports branding and merchandising was still in a very different state then as it is now. Now new logos and uniforms are designed years in advance. Merchandise featuring new logos and colours has been in production long before we see the final product. There are warehouses full of new Carolina Hurricanes and Phoenix Suns merchandise, just waiting to ship. No one's cancelling any redesign this late in the game.

The Buffaslug logo and uniforms are probably the best case of fan backlash killing a redesign, but that took five years. Why? The team, league, and manufacturers had to sell all of that Buffaslug gear and use all of that Buffaslug promotional material before a new redesign was attempted.

Well, what if no one buys the merchandise? I hope Suns fans don't buy anything with these new logos. Wouldn't this type of boycott force Adidas and the Suns' hands a little?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People will always buy new stuff. The Buffaslug was a runaway hit from a merchandise standpoint its first year.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I still think recoloring a logo is different than redesigning a logo. No one likes the "S" Suns logo, but it doesn't look nearly as bad when recolored. Same goes for the primary 'sunburst' logo. Make the minor changes and you'll please most fans. Of course you can't satisfy everyone, but right now I'd say very few fans are pleased. With minor changes, I think fans will be more accepting. I guess we'll see how everything plays out when they finally formally introduce the new logos.

Which brings up another point.... why haven't they formally unveiled them yet? NBA.com is already selling merchandise with them, but the Suns haven't officially acknowledged anything yet. Hhm.....

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

from the two NBA Store leaks, i've updated my image:

Suns_2013-14_leaks-2_zps20f0cd48.png

A few things that bother me about that 'S-sunburst logo':

- it rounds the corners from the script's S that were hard lines

- it blurs the S's font from the font used in the script

- it makes the sunburst appear oblong rather than circular

Although, I do give them credit for attempting to make a simpler secondary logo. The Phoenix bird is great, but a little complex for small usage.

That S-sun is a rare example of bad concept AND bad execution. It's absolutely terrible.

But I think Barkley-era-black-inspired unis could save this switch. Those didn't have much purple.

Yep. Michigan State, Iowa, Dallas Mavericks, and the 49ers come to mind.

Well, I certainly see another one coming with the Suns, especially since the fans already hate the owner with a passion.

The Suns are just hungry for a winner again. Like what McDonough and the front office has done thus far.

The Primary logo and the secondary Phoenix is growing on me. I miss the old phoenix because it had a great balance of colors especially with the shadowing on the ball. I just think that the Phoenix Secondary is just too flat compare to the former one. The older one had more depth than this. The primary logo is looking pretty sharp. Despite the exclusion of purple, the black makes the shades of orange stick out more than the former gray. The new wordmark is also pretty sharp even though there's beveling on the primary logo. I just hate the wordmark with beveling with different shades of orange. It looks D-League-ish.

I gotta confirm that this logo set is legit, and i think they will not be ditching the purple. For jersey they'll be using white at home, purple on the road, orange alternates. According to the wordmark I've seen on the New Logo Guidelines of them. Btw, we forget the streaking sun as a Partial Logo.

I gotta confirm that this logo set is legit, and i think they will not be ditching the purple. For jersey they'll be using white at home, purple on the road, orange alternates. According to the wordmark I've seen on the New Logo Guidelines of them. Btw, we forget the streaking sun as a Partial Logo.

yep, he's right. here are the official wordmarks:

suns_13-14_wordmarks_zps6aaf7fd2.png

looks like my concept might not be too far off, based on the angled nature of those wordmarks.

yep, he's right. here are the official wordmarks:

suns_13-14_wordmarks_zps6aaf7fd2.png

looks like my concept might not be too far off, based on the angled nature of those wordmarks.

Where was it officially confirmed? We knew the wordmark and logos were legit already (since the NBA's official site was already selling merch with them). The Suns' official beat writer reported the other day that the team would have an all-black road jersey as well as an orange sleeved jersey. Just curious where you saw this reported. Thanks!

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

I don't mind the wordmarks. I like the "PHOENIX" road script a lot actually. However, I hope that there is no beveling on the jerseys. That would look horrible. The flat colors work best here.

I foresee major Suns fan backlash over this garbage.

Why don't they take the '80s logo, modernize it a little, make a new 2ndary mark and be done with it?

retro_suns_190.jpg

I've always loved that logo and been especially drawn to it for some reason.

Hey, guys. Those wordmarks have been fine by me (apart from the bevel) but the "S" is terrible and I like Conrad's use of the "P" because it make a heck of a lot more sense to use. Someone said the new secondary has lost its appeal and i completely agree. It's not longer as dynamic as it once was. I'm not disappointed with the primary but a recolor to keep the identity would be nice. I recolored the primary in a way I think works. I'm just hoping the jerseys aren't a total disaster.

Qva1GvI.png

Conrad, where did you find the "official" wordmarks you posted? I'd like to take a look at that site. Thanks.

Well since they may have already leaked, maybe Colorwerx can confirm or deny them for us? Then we'll all know for sure 100%.

I'm really confused, AZ Central wrote that away will be black, now it's purple. Also role of purple is bigger than I'm think. Very intresting situation with Phoenix.

The fans have been extremely vocal since the initial leak. I've been saying all along that I thought it was odd nothing was officially unveiled yet (it seemed the original plan was to introduce everything on Friday, the day after the Finals). NBA.com and a couple other retailers started selling a few shirts, but that was it. No official word from the team. I have to believe Sarver foresaw another PR nightmare on his hands and has frantically trying to do anything he can to avert it. At least, that's what I like to imagine happening. :lol:

Based on the new logo set, official wordmarks, and the previous Barkley-era sun-streak unis, here's my approximation for the Suns unis:

suns-2013-unis.png

that purple away looks WAY out of place (much like the PHX logo now), but it looked even more odd to add purple anywhere on the home and alt unis. anyone with any suggestions of variations on my render here?

Archived