NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing Donovan's optimized logos, the logo refreshes are not bad. The color application is haphazard though, with purple only being used in the secondary bird logo. The last logo was heavy on the drop shadows and highlights, so they've managed to tend to that. The partial streaking sun looks better now and I hope we see that more often than the bird logo. Reserving full judgment until we see the uniforms.

How hard would this have been?:

PhoenixSuns_PropPMK0100a_SCC_SRGB.png

Ditch the grey outline and we're golden.

My Suns question is... Why do you even need the wordmark on the uniform at all? You have a giant sun streaking across the front of the uniform, so I think we'll know which team is the "SUNS"

500x1000px-LL-5828a2c7_Suns2.jpeg

Without that forced "SUNS" on the bottom, I think that's a great looking jersey. Be unique and leave the wordmark off it altogether if you ask me.

Because it's not a hockey jersey.

After seeing Donovan's optimized logos, the logo refreshes are not bad. The color application is haphazard though, with purple only being used in the secondary bird logo. The last logo was heavy on the drop shadows and highlights, so they've managed to tend to that. The partial streaking sun looks better now and I hope we see that more often than the bird logo. Reserving full judgment until we see the uniforms.

How hard would this have been?:

PhoenixSuns_PropPMK0100a_SCC_SRGB.png

Ditch the grey outline and we're golden.

Ditto. Still not a huge fan of the beveled lettering, but that logo looks pretty good wth the purple added.

The Warriors may have introduced yellow home uniforms first, but the Lakers made the look famous. While it's not fair that the Warriors weren't grandfathered in with the Lakers I understand why it happened. The Lakers made yellow home jerseys famous, they made it their brand. And the NBA wanted to protect the brand of one of its marquee teams.

Not that I would ever argue against the NBA's favoritism towards the Lakers, but I presumed that this "grandfathering" took in sometime after the late '80s when the Warriors abandoned their yellow homes, when the Lakers were the only team actively wearing yellow.

Purple is historically a SUNS color so I want it to stay but the orange and black look more like a desert theme. Seems to me they should do like the Kings- have one purple road, one black alt road.

I've been saying all along that the Suns should have an all orange home primary uniform (like the Lakers have an all yellow). They can also have an all white home uniform that they either alternate out with the orange or only wear on Sundays (again, like the Lakers). Then you have an all black primary road uniform with an all purple alternate road uniform. Many teams have several uniform colors, why not the Suns?

The Lakers were grandfathered in, but I believe you have to have a white jersey, per league rules.

Lame rules notwithstanding, I would also argue that only yellow and white qualify as "light" colors that are appropriate as home colors. Orange is a dark road color, word to the Bobcats and the great pumpkin, RIP Mel Turpin.

I don't understand how that "S" logo was created. If you would lay the primary streaking sun on top of that "S" it wouldn't match up with what's there. They could have at least been consistent.

If they dropped the streak, it could be a nice symmetric reversal of the 70s/80s sunburst.

I miss the lighter purple.

Totally disagree. Now they can be told apart from the Lakers. This is actually a genius move!

Those washed out light shades of orange and purple were totally drab to me. Perhaps the jerseys were meant to look like they'd been out in the *sun* for too long.

Totally disagree. Now they can be told apart from the Lakers. This is actually a genius move!

9p1hz1349hu4hxdjyg64aduzd.gifx0299mcf8q3wgeuw50v18ib35.gif

I don't think anyone is confusing these two for each other.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The orange alternate's going to have sleeves.

Fixed:

suns-2013-alt-uni_zpsfa32fe84.png

Since the idea of an orange sun on an orange jersey is really redundant, I predict they will do similar to the Warriors have done and have a white streaking Sun sublimated in the background with the Suns wordmark and player number over it. Also, I doubt the sun streaks across the whole upper body, it would probably be the Sun straight from the primary logo.

bSLCtu2.png

I don't think anyone is confusing these two for each other.

Except when the Lakers wore their home yellows and the Suns their purples it'd look like a Laker scrimmage at times.

What's the official unveiling date?

No official date, but according to Paul Coro (Suns official beat writer), they will be unveiled in "late September".

http://www.azcentral...s-uniforms.html

BNe7oVhCEAI_epe.jpg

Don't they usually have jerseys for the new players the day after the draft at their introductory press conference?

Usually, but apparently the Suns will either skip that step or do as I fear...... hand them an old, out-dated jersey to hold up. This seems like it could never happen, but remember, the Suns are the same team that debuted a new court that included a new wordmark and logos while wearing an old jersey with old wordmarks and logos. Nothing they do is by the book.

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

No official date, but according to Paul Coro (Suns official beat writer), they will be unveiled in "late September".

BNe7oVhCEAI_epe.jpg

Don't they usually have jerseys for the new players the day after the draft at their introductory press conference?

Usually, but apparently the Suns will either skip that step or do as I fear...... hand them an old, out-dated jersey to hold up. This seems like it could never happen, but remember, the Suns are the same team that debuted a new court that included a new wordmark and logos while wearing an old jersey with old wordmarks and logos. Nothing they do is by the book.

This actually wouldn't be the first time for them. When they debuted the sunburst unis in '92-'93, they still wore the old uniforms all through the preseason. I remember that distinctly since that was the year they got Barkley and there are plenty of photos of him in the '80s unis.

BNe7oVhCEAI_epe.jpg

This actually wouldn't be the first time for them. When they debuted the sunburst unis in '92-'93, they still wore the old uniforms all through the preseason. I remember that distinctly since that was the year they got Barkley and there are plenty of photos of him in the '80s unis.

I always wondered why pics of Barkley sometimes showed up like this:

barkley-suns.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Yup, used to be teams that changed unis would wear the old ones in the preseason and bust out the new threads for the first game of the regular season (at least that's how it was in the 80s & 90s).

Anyone remember that episode of "Hanging With Mr. Cooper" that Barkley guested on? He wore the old Suns uni in that...

What the Suns are doing isnt really any worse than what the Knicks did... it took like 3 years to finally get the new look together. They started fazing black out of some marketing material and website etc. Then they introduced a new logo with absolutly no one except us noticing. They left the old logo on the court for half a season as well as on their uniforms for an entire season (including black). Then finally made a uniform that matched the new logo and colors last year.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived