NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

The orange alternate's going to have sleeves.

Fixed:

suns-2013-alt-uni_zpsfa32fe84.png

Looks like a batting practice jersey.

That's the way all the sleeved uniforms are going to look, though. I was appalled last year when I saw the Warriors wearing them, I can't believe more teams (including my Suns) will be wearing them this season. Hopefully it's a failed experiment and doesn't last (like when the White Sox wore shorts one year, lol).

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the way all the sleeved uniforms are going to look, though. I was appalled last year when I saw the Warriors wearing them, I can't believe more teams (including my Suns) will be wearing them this season. Hopefully it's a failed experiment and doesn't last (like when the White Sox wore shorts one year, lol).

I love adidas's justification, too. That new technology allows for a "full range of movement." You know what else allows for a full range of movement? Tank tops.

I love adidas's justification, too. That new technology allows for a "full range of movement." You know what else allows for a full range of movement? Tank tops.

But they also know the 90s fad of wearing basketball jerseys is more or less dead. They now have to try something else to make money since wearing tank top jerseys is out of style.

I'd love to hear the players' honest opinions of them. To the media they say positive things, but I'm sure most if not all hate them (Kendall Marshall voiced his displeasure shortly before it was announced the Suns would be wearing them).

I had heard that another reason adidas and the NBA wanted to use sleeved jerseys was because they thought fans would be more apt to wear them regularly. I really don't see anyone under the age of 12 wearing these at all, let alone on a daily basis.

But they also know the 90s fad of wearing basketball jerseys is more or less dead. They now have to try something else to make money since wearing tank top jerseys is out of style.

Wearing tank top jerseys is out of style because the modern jerseys are ugly and look very commercial. Compare most team's current day jerseys to their 90's or earlier uniforms and you'll see a big difference.

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

I'd love to hear the players' honest opinions of them.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/03/stephen-curry-calls-golden-state-warriors-sleeved-jerseys-ugly/

"Stephen Curry Calls Golden State Warriors' Sleeved Jerseys 'Ugly.' "

I've seen more tank top jerseys worn in the past 2 years than I have in a decade. Of course, they're all old-school Sonics or Grizzlies jerseys being worn by hipsters that probably got them from the thrift store.

It could also be that when Champion was making them, they were $30. Granted, they wore out as fast as you'd expect from a $30 jersey, but it's hard to justify spending $100 on a tank top (or even a t-shirt for that matter). Not to mention adidas makes the replicas with those super broad shoulders that make skinny guys like me look like we're wearing rings around our shoulders like someone out of Futurama.

I've seen more tank top jerseys worn in the past 2 years than I have in a decade. Of course, they're all old-school Sonics or Grizzlies jerseys being worn by hipsters that probably got them from the thrift store.

It could also be that when Champion was making them, they were $30. Granted, they wore out as fast as you'd expect from a $30 jersey, but it's hard to justify spending $100 on a tank top (or even a t-shirt for that matter). Not to mention adidas makes the replicas with those super broad shoulders that make skinny guys like me look like we're wearing rings around our shoulders like someone out of Futurama.

Yeah the Adidas replicas are terrible. If they made them like the other company replicas used to look with narrower cuts people would wear them more.

is it possible something like this could be used?

http://niketalk.com/...t/1000/flags/LL

*using the new sunburst though.

Based on the new logo set, official wordmarks, and the previous Barkley-era sun-streak unis, here's my approximation for the Suns unis:

suns-2013-unis.png

that purple away looks WAY out of place (much like the PHX logo now), but it looked even more odd to add purple anywhere on the home and alt unis. anyone with any suggestions of variations on my render here?

Here you go

My Suns question is... Why do you even need the wordmark on the uniform at all? You have a giant sun streaking across the front of the uniform, so I think we'll know which team is the "SUNS"

500x1000px-LL-5828a2c7_Suns2.jpeg

Without that forced "SUNS" on the bottom, I think that's a great looking jersey. Be unique and leave the wordmark off it altogether if you ask me.

My Suns question is... Why do you even need the wordmark on the uniform at all? You have a giant sun streaking across the front of the uniform, so I think we'll know which team is the "SUNS"

Without that forced "SUNS" on the bottom, I think that's a great looking jersey. Be unique and leave the wordmark off it altogether if you ask me.

It's a branding issue. Every team's primary uniform has their team name on it. They want to maintain the name for branding purposes. Now if the streak was the solo element on the alternate, like what the Spurs did, that'd be fine. but for a primary, I suspect they want to keep the team name on for branding purposes

Go A's!

What's the official unveiling date?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's a branding issue. Every team's primary uniform has their team name on it. They want to maintain the name for branding purposes. Now if the streak was the solo element on the alternate, like what the Spurs did, that'd be fine. but for a primary, I suspect they want to keep the team name on for branding purposes

You keep using that word... while what you are saying could be accurate, it's not necessarily correct.

Slapping a wordmark on a uniform just because everyone else has one isn't branding (you could actually argue that doing so would work AGAINST building a brand). Also, most NBA teams don't have a giant piece of their primary logo/brand across the chest... the Warriors are the only ones that instantly come to my mind in that vein.

The goal of branding is all about creating that instantly recognizable and possessive image for your organization... the Golden Arches, the red Bullseye, the iProducts. In sports, it's about pinstripes, winged helmets, and blue stars. In the case of the Suns, having 80% of your primary logo across your chest is enough for me... I guess I just think the Suns can own that look and pull it off without having to lazily throw wordmarks on there.

You keep using that word... while what you are saying could be accurate, it's not necessarily correct.

Slapping a wordmark on a uniform just because everyone else has one isn't branding (you could actually argue that doing so would work AGAINST building a brand). Also, most NBA teams don't have a giant piece of their primary logo/brand across the chest... the Warriors are the only ones that instantly come to my mind in that vein.

The goal of branding is all about creating that instantly recognizable and possessive image for your organization... the Golden Arches, the red Bullseye, the iProducts. In sports, it's about pinstripes, winged helmets, and blue stars. In the case of the Suns, having 80% of your primary logo across your chest is enough for me... I guess I just think the Suns can own that look and pull it off without having to lazily throw wordmarks on there.

I don't disagree. Branding takes all kinds of forms. But in the eyes of the NBA, their branding has always been a certain way. Almost every team has a ball in their logo. For essentially the longest time, all uniforms had to have the team name on it. In the eyes of the NBA, their form of branding is uniformity where other things can't be too different. With that said, the way they brand, is to have the team name on the jersey despite a large logo in the front (example, Rockets and Raptors of the 90s). That's how I feel what branding is for the NBA, that's their style.

Go A's!

Presented here as a comparison of both the changes, and the color mods:

Old:

PhoenixSuns_SMK0200a_2010_SCC_SRGB.png

New:

PhoenixSuns_SMK0100a_2014_SCC_SRGB.png

I miss the lighter purple.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

No official date, but according to Paul Coro (Suns official beat writer), they will be unveiled in "late September".

http://www.azcentral...s-uniforms.html

I miss purple in general. Hopefully the revise all the logos to include a little purple.

Speaking of which, Suns owner Robert Sarver did an interview with a local news station the other night . Notice the color of his shirt. Here's my question, is this a positive sign for purple in the Suns color scheme or just Mr. Sarver trolling fans?

BNe7oVhCEAI_epe.jpg

No official date, but according to Paul Coro (Suns official beat writer), they will be unveiled in "late September".

http://www.azcentral...s-uniforms.html

I miss purple in general. Hopefully the revise all the logos to include a little purple.

Speaking of which, Suns owner Robert Sarver did an interview with a local news station the other night . Notice the color of his shirt. Here's my question, is this a positive sign for purple in the Suns color scheme or just Mr. Sarver trolling fans?

BNe7oVhCEAI_epe.jpg

Looks like a shirt he just had embroided.

Archived