NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

Ultimately I suspect the team will be referenced simply as "New York City," just as the parent club (and that's what it'll be) is referenced here as "Manchester City." The FC element will be largely ignored.

I've no problem with soccer teams naming themselves whatever they like save a few exceptions (e.g., "Real" Salt Lake), as unlike North American sports leagues there doesn't appear to be any kind of uniformity to it: Manchester United, Rangers, 04 Schalke, etc. The fans will ultimately decide how the team's referred to in most cases anyway.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

292971_10151720191797176_1497949650_n.jpg

This looks really cool, a bit too much going on and a little bit too tall but I like the idea.

Is this a personal concept?

Yea... quick and dirty...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'm predicting double blue, sky blue base with navy pinstripes for the uniforms and personally I think that would look quite good

405774_416972645026246_2117787825_n.jpg

Nice. However, if they go that route, I would expect the pinstripes to be more prominent (i.e., thicker and closer together).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Manchester City, MCFC, owns the team. They pick the name. They are trying to expand their brand in America. This is one of their plans, and partnering with the NY Yankees seems like a good plan. As owners of the team, Manchester City picks the name, and with the goal of expanding the MCFC brand, maybe you can see why they chose the name they did.

That's, in all likelihood, a placeholder.

I sure hope so.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm predicting double blue, sky blue base with navy pinstripes for the uniforms and personally I think that would look quite good

Sporting KC would love that, having just switched to sky blue/navy two years ago.

And Nike uses a way better shade of sky blue than Adidas does, have always hated SKC's home kits since the change.

i5VJNqS.jpg

I'd even say they should intensify the Man City blue a bit more. I love it in this pic but too often, on tv, they look washed out. A Chargers powder blue would look great.

If this team uses sky blue they will be the 15th team in MLS using blue as a color and the 7th to use light blue specifically (yes, I'm counting Chicago's and Houston's flirtations with it). Bangarang.

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

More terrible branding by people who really don't know the market.

Firstly, our city colors are blue and orange. Secondly, New York City FC? Um, how about a nickname? If you noticed, we don't take after other cities or countries. They take after us. Thirdly, the last the Yankees had to do with soccer here in the City, they kicked the Generals out of Yankee Stadium, then the Cosmos spent one fateful season ('75) there. Speaking of which.......

There is only one New York team I would root for in this sport - the Cosmos. The Cosmos have roots here. I'm not going to root for any team that doesn't have some sort of connection to the City (please don't give me the crap about Yankee ownership. We've seen how well baseball ownership and soccer ownership work).

Give me the Cosmos.

Considering MLS' success since going with a more European style of branding I'd they definitely know how to market.

Secondly, New York City FC? Um, how about a nickname? If you noticed, we don't take after other cities or countries. They take after us.

Really? The very name of the city takes after a city in Britain.

Firstly, our city colors are blue and orange. Secondly, New York City FC? Um, how about a nickname? If you noticed, we don't take after other cities or countries. They take after us. Thirdly, the last the Yankees had to do with soccer here in the City, they kicked the Generals out of Yankee Stadium, then the Cosmos spent one fateful season ('75) there. Speaking of which.......

There is only one New York team I would root for in this sport - the Cosmos. The Cosmos have roots here. I'm not going to root for any team that doesn't have some sort of connection to the City (please don't give me the crap about Yankee ownership. We've seen how well baseball ownership and soccer ownership work).

Give me the Cosmos.

Do they really have to follow the history of the Cosmos to know the market? The Cosmos New York knew are GONE. What is left of the team now already exists in the new NASL anyways. So using any name, logos, or colors is not permitted. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the Man City/Yankees connection. I think it's going to bring more good than harm for New York soccer. In all honesty, it will probably be a vast improvement over what the Red Bulls/MetroStars have done since 1996. And I say that as a Red Bulls fan...

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

For those of you who continue to whine about wanting a team named after a team that folded nearly thirty years ago, here's your team that only sort of has a connection to the original NY Cosmos. Ta-da.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Personally I don't care too much about the sport of soccer in general, but my roommates do, hence I have some semblance of insight on the game and its current brands.

Just wanna chime in to say that I agree on New York City FC being a lackluster name. To me this is the Manchester City organization's way of asserting that this team is intended to play second fiddle to their poster boy across the pond. If I were a New Yorker I would not appreciate my team being a financial platform for something else but then again, Red Bulls.

I'm not advocating for the Cosmos or anything like that, but in the name of good, original designs in the sports world perhaps the Yankees' involvement in this will be enough to push for a more true to NYC take on this brand instead of playing the "faux Euro nickname" card.

Midway.png

Well then, luckily for you the Cosmos are coming into the NASL next season as well.

Am I the only one who's never put much stock into the New York Cosmos? Seems like they're here to sell some 70s vintage-inspired shirts more than field an actual club. Can't see them lasting especially after NYCFC moves in.

I hate to burst the bubble, but shouldn't the team name actually be New York City City FC? Many folks refer to NY as NYC, so you would need to add another City to make it a copy of Manchester City.

So the nickname would be easy, the City City Bang Bangs! or is that too old a reference?

I like the idea of it just being City FC, since everyone around NYC just says "the City" anyway.

City FC vs. FC Dallas, that works. Works better than New York City FC vs. FC Dallas.

Wait, I have it. The PERFECT name for a NYC soccer club that uses CITY in it.

Gotham CIty FC. NY is referred to as Gotham pretty commonly. You could work with DC Comics to cross-promote, and you would sell out on shirts immediately.

Gotham City FC MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Archived