NBA to expand short-sleeve audition

oldschoolvikings

http://espn.go.com/n...-sleeve-jerseys

"

Hoping in part to push along sales of NBA jerseys, more teams will wear uniforms with sleeves next season.

An NBA source told ESPN.com that as many as five teams will wear the short-sleeve jerseys as an alternate jersey for as much as 12 games during the season.

nba_g_sleeves_cr_200.jpg

Rocky Widner/NBAE/Getty Images Stephen Curry and the Warriors donned short sleeves in three games this season.

"We are interested in doing more short-sleeve jerseys when it makes sense," said Patrik Nilsson, president of adidas North America.

Nilsson said Wednesday that adidas is motivated to get more fans wearing jerseys while also innovating the game jersey for the players. The company pays roughly $35 million a year to be the official apparel provider of the league through the 2016-17 season.

All teams were offered the option to add this jersey, according to Sal LaRocca, the league's executive vice president of global merchandising, but LaRocca would not confirm exactly how many teams have committed to it."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and adidas admitted part of the reason behind this was to tell more merch since most guys don't like to wear tank tops.

And I'm one of them. But at the same time, I don't think I'd buy a sleeved basketball jersey on principle either. I'll just stick with T-shirts and such.

The whole "people don't wear tanktops, so we need to alter the aesthetics of the game" thing is really dumb. I have seen very, very few people wear basketball jerseys without t-shirts underneath. The ones I have seen wearing them without shirts were either 1) playing basketball themselves, or 2) hobos selling socks on the side of exit ramps. I don't buy the idea that this large group of people is holding out just because they would prefer not to wear a t-shirt underneath. Jerseys are not exactly "meeting the girlfriend's parents" attire to begin with, and the perceived sloppiness of having a shirt showing underneath doesn't ruin the look. If people wanted to wear jerseys, they would buy them, regardless. Baseball sleeves have jerseys, and MLB still sells a ton of player t-shirts because there is segment of people who just don't feel like wearing jerseys, sleeved or not. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That being said, let's speculate on who will add one of these crappy alts. OBVIOUSLY the Heat. Likely the Cavaliers because they're whores, too. Other than that, a few teams that don't have good or established looks. Maybe the Pelicans? Nuggets?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The whole "people don't wear tanktops, so we need to alter the aesthetics of the game" thing is really dumb. I have seen very, very few people wear basketball jerseys without t-shirts underneath. The ones I have seen wearing them without shirts were either 1) playing basketball themselves, or 2) hobos selling socks on the side of exit ramps. I don't buy the idea that this large group of people is holding out just because they would prefer not to wear a t-shirt underneath. Jerseys are not exactly "meeting the girlfriend's parents" attire to begin with, and the perceived sloppiness of having a shirt showing underneath doesn't ruin the look. If people wanted to wear jerseys, they would buy them, regardless. Baseball sleeves have jerseys, and MLB still sells a ton of player t-shirts because there is segment of people who just don't feel like wearing jerseys, sleeved or not. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Additionally, these jerseys are tight enough that your run of the mill fat guy won't wear 'em anyway.

http://www.hark.com/clips/fcwjbgypmv-i-like-this-idea

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The whole "people don't wear tanktops, so we need to alter the aesthetics of the game" thing is really dumb.

Remember in the 90s when the NBA went to the super wide shoulders on jerseys to make them look more like cut-off t-shirts? The replica jerseys still have those and they only look good on big fat guys.

Here is what the Warriors jerseys look like on an average person; http://blogs.thescor...-normal-person/

I personally think they should just make short and long sleeved versions of the current jerseys available to fans and the players.

That way players could choose to wear long or short sleeved versions of their uniforms on any given day.

College kids wear short sleeves under their jerseys whenever they please. This would just be a more uniform way of making short sleeves an option in the NBA.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

That being said, let's speculate on who will add one of these crappy alts. OBVIOUSLY the Heat. Likely the Cavaliers because they're whores, too. Other than that, a few teams that don't have good or established looks. Maybe the Pelicans? Nuggets?

It's a money grab. So Heat, Lakers, and Knicks for sure. Warriors will probably keep them. Rockets if they get Howard.

Nets are really merchandise-happy, but I don't know if the NBA will be so big on promoting them in Year Two of the relocation. I'd be surprised if they gave them to the Pelicans, as they're changing jerseys next year anyway.

The Cavs is an interesting choice. Not so much because they're "whores," but because they're shaping up to be an exciting playoff team with a dynamic player, much like the Warriors.

PJU85JF.png

If the Hornets name returns to Charlotte, I'd guess they'd be in the running too.

It's a money grab. So Heat, Lakers, and Knicks for sure.

I don't think the Lakers will whore themselves to Adidas' fashion trend. Just their name alone will bring in revenue; they're fine with it. They're a global marketing icon who are not going to rely on gimmicks to bring in upcoming customers.

I see this trend to follow teams who have relative revenue issues, such as the Cavs, Pelicans and others like them.

It's a money grab. So Heat, Lakers, and Knicks for sure.

I don't think the Lakers will whore themselves to Adidas' fashion trend. Just their name alone will bring in revenue; they're fine with it. They're a global marketing icon who are not going to rely on gimmicks to bring in upcoming customers.

I see this trend to follow teams who have relative revenue issues, such as the Cavs, Pelicans and others like them.

Good point. It's actually really impressive how rarely the Lakers do anything like this, considering how easily they could sell anything with "Bryant" on it.

Do the teams decide for themselves? I have no idea how this works. For the BIG Color or Noche Latina jerseys, I'm sure the league dictates to the teams that they will participate in the promotion. But what about things like Hardwood Classics?

My money is on ALL of the teams playing on Christmas having sleeves.

I'd bet on those being a separate set, though some of the teams will be the same.

PJU85JF.png

I don't know. Down the shore, every douchebag college kid is wearing an NBA jersey sans undershirt. It's kind of like one step up from the wife beater.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived