NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bears defense is probably the worst in the NFL.

The Chargers' "defense" begs to differ with you on that one.

The Redskins beg to differ. But hey we "stopped" Phillip Rivers and the Chargers on the one. /sarcasm

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Regarding the distinct lack of prestige to the Monday Night Football package, the NFL really erred in not making sure it was the second-best game of the week. I mean, yeah, they'll give you Bears-Packers or the Patriots or an NFC East game now and then, but usually it's the same old grab bag of mid-market teams that ESPN had on Sunday nights: those execrable Titans-Jaguars, Buccaneers-Chargers games that always got buried under the muddled incompetence of Mike Patrick. Those games didn't even feel like the NFL or ESPN. It was almost more like Versus.

And yeah, Mark Shapiro really tripped over his dick on NFL negotiations. He's the same guy who booted the NHL out of Bristol, too. His endgame for ESPN was to load up on scripted programming and reality shows, but then he left the network in sports-medias res to run Little Danny Snyder's theme parks. Thanks, dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQkzBe4IIws

Ah, the first few seconds of this video! Those tasteful piano chords mean "I'm in high school, and I'm about to watch some useless crap."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ah, the first few seconds of this video! Those tasteful piano chords mean "I'm in high school, and I'm about to watch some useless crap."

Was there a piano bit? I just remember "I wouldn't trade Michael Vick for anyone in the NFL" and "The Chargers should bring [when they move to LA] Mike Vick and not Drew Brees".

I meant the "eoe: ESPN Original Entertainment" sounder, which was also before stinkeroos like Beg, Borrow, and Deal, the World Series of Poker, or that Dale Earnhardt TV movie where he said "awl ah wunna doo is race, daddy." I just couldn't find a standalone video of it and most certainly couldn't be arsed to make it myself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Rams lose to Titans. Kellen Clemens is bad. Real bad.

He's not. But he's super mediocre. Rams win both of their last two games by 2 scores if Sam's healthy, though.

That said, the mistakes went beyond QB today. But I don't feel like discussing them.

I wish I had been older during the Greatest Show on Turf years. I was old enough to enjoy it, but maybe not old enough to appreciate it. I was in middle school. And it feels so long ago.

They don't suck, but if they're just going to break my heart every week, maybe they ought to.

I got that NFL "Greatest Games" set of the 1999 playoff run. That team was so frickin fast compared to everyone else-its obvious when you watch those games.

Then everyone else got faster. And Martz started to believe his own press releases.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

PFT wrote an article about this, but I'll just echo it.

The NFL should probably do some more planning ahead to avoid this. Just don't schedule TNF, SNF, or MNF games in baseball cities with teams who are frequently in the playoffs in October. There's no perfect system of course, but some simple guesswork could go a long way.

But they need to get the mandatory Rams prime time game out of the way early in the season.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh, and the Tennessee game. That was great man. I can't believe "Money" botched those kicks, but the defense was great shutting the Titans down in the first half. And the way they responded to that Titans score with a bomb to Ike. That was amazing. And kudos to Mike Jones on that tackle at the end. And...and....

And why is Jeff Fisher wearing Rams clothing?

Oh.

:censored:

DonValentinoRamslose_zps2d1f8913.jpg

Today, we are all otaku.

While watching some old NFL PrimeTime highlights, one thing struck me:

Damn do I miss when the NFL used to have a couple Saturday games in the last month of the season. This practice was scrapped after 2005, when the TV situation changed. Some of my fondest memories (and not-so-fond; 28-0 Patriots over Bucs in 2005) come from those games, and it's a bit unfortunate we don't get that anymore.

spacer.png

Networks have turned Saturday into a TV wasteland, they assume nobody is home to watch and show repeats, and low cost reality shows and maybe some sports. What is funny is some 30-40 years ago some of the biggest shows were on Saturday like All in the Family.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

While watching some old NFL PrimeTime highlights, one thing struck me:

Damn do I miss when the NFL used to have a couple Saturday games in the last month of the season. This practice was scrapped after 2005, when the TV situation changed. Some of my fondest memories (and not-so-fond; 28-0 Patriots over Bucs in 2005) come from those games, and it's a bit unfortunate we don't get that anymore.

The Falcons and Lions played on a Saturday night in late December last year. Oddly enough, it was the 'season finale' of Monday Night Football.

The lone reason why I miss those late-season Saturday games was that it gave me a reason (albeit, a bad reason) to put off Christmas shopping and stay home and drink beer.....

Well, yeah, but that was something that conveniently worked out. For the first couple years of NFL Network airing games, they would either have a Thursday or Saturday game, but that was one isolated game at night. At some point along the line, they just shifted everything to Thursday's.

Obviously, from the way you wrote it, you caught my drift about how there used to be some weeks that would follow the same 1:00/4:15 dynamic on Saturday and Sunday, after the college football regular season ended. There was an Eagles/Giants game in Week 16 of 2002 where the always-reliable David Akers missed an inside-40 FG to help keep the Giants playoff hopes alive. I think Tiki ran for over 200 yards that day.

There was also another game I remember, Week 16 again, from 2003 (12/20/2003, to be exact), when the Falcons officially ousted the Bucs from the playoff race with a 30-28 win when Tampa couldn't muster a last-chance two-point conversion to force OT.

spacer.png

Archived