2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ducks attendance jokes are the new Coyotes attendance jokes. 1st-place team in the hottest division race in the league, and you couldn't pay people to go to a game, because the Angels are in town and it's free hat night.

Nevermind the bloated contracts of Pujols and Hamilton. Nevermind the horrawful bullpen the team failed to redesign during the offseason. Nevermind the easy TV viewing rights the team has for its fans. Nevermind the wasteland which is their farm system. Nevermind Scioscia-ball being an expired product with the likes of today's Texas and Oakland teams.

Anaheim fans would prefer the Angels over the Ducks because of a stupid hat!

There is also that baseball is just returning so there would be bigger interest then normal and Edmonton isn't exactly an attractive opponent.(though they should still be doing better with attendance with the team they have)

Oh yeah :cursing: you Oilers.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I don't really see the entire connection between how well a team is doing and it's attendance. No matter how bad the Canadian teams are, they're still going to be sellouts (or close) and no matter how good the Coyotes and the Panthers are, they're still going to be empty. In some places you just aren't going to get any new fans besides the people who already are.

IbjBaeE.png

I don't really see the entire connection between how well a team is doing and it's attendance. No matter how bad the Canadian teams are, they're still going to be sellouts (or close) and no matter how good the Coyotes and the Panthers are, they're still going to be empty. In some places you just aren't going to get any new fans besides the people who already are.

Look at the Blackhawks' attendance from 10 years ago if you want to see a connection.

Look at the Blackhawks' attendance from 10 years ago if you want to see a connection.
I realize that and that's what I meant at the end about some places being able to get more fans. Chicago is a place where hockey was able to re-insert itself into the Chicago fans and Chicago always seemed like a hockey town to me. Places like Anaheim, Phoenix and Sunrise hockey is a niche sport where there doesn't appear to be much opportunity for new fans to jump on.

IbjBaeE.png

Ducks attendance jokes are the new Coyotes attendance jokes. 1st-place team in the hottest division race in the league, and you couldn't pay people to go to a game, because the Angels are in town and it's free hat night.

And just like when you brought it up on Twitter on Monday against the Jets, it was a sellout tonight. I was in my seat before puck drop. Did it take a little while to fill in? Yes. But the crowd filled up and it was no different than any other night. And actually, there was one of the longest lines I've seen for walk-up tickets at the box office.

I don't know why you seem to make this a personal crusade each season, but people are coming out for this team.

---

Anyways, on the ice, these comebacks are fun and all, but I'd rather it not become a habit. It's so frustrating to know that when they play their hardest, like the third periods of these last two games, they're damn near untouchable. I just hope it clicks in at some point down the stretch. Three more "easy" games vs NSH, @ EDM, @ VAN, then the ramp up to the playoffs vs SJ, @ LA, vs COL.

Also, tonight was the Ducks 50th win marking their first ever 50-win campaign. The points record of 110 set by the 06-07 Cup team is around the corner as well. And Corey Perry netted his 40th and 41st goals of the season. Good stuff, there.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hey Zach, does your phone have the capability to take panorama shots? If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a panorama shot of the crowd at the next Ducks game you go to, and post it her...

And also, I'm starting to think Sodboy literally gets off MOD EDIT on criticizing Southern teams' attendance numbers. He comments about this :censored: more than he comments about the things happening on the ice, and it's ridiculous.

Yes, our fanbase is smaller and tickets are cheaper, but hey, I get to see a lot more live NHL hockey than you!

OH SHEEEEEEET!!!! Hey Sod, how come you never make fun of St. Louis' or Colorado's attendance?

gqXcd3b.png

If I have my math right.... 95.5% full is more than 88.5% and 90.2%!!! St. Louis has more points than Anaheim AND worse attendance numbers?!? SEND THEM TO QUÉBEC! LES BLUES DE QUÉBEC!

EDIT: Oh, and what's this, the 2004 attendance numbers, a year in which both Anaheim and Chicago sucked ass?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2004

If my eyes are correct, Anaheim is #24 while Chicago is #27. So I guess Anaheim has more hardcore fans than Chicago, considering more of us stick around when our team sucks compared to when your team sucks!

MOD EDIT

I think there's been plenty of talk about Blues crowds being a little smaller than they ought to be and what a shame it is. I know Colorado has gotten also some derision for walking away from the Avs as soon as The House The Nordiques Built came tumbling down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh, and I just noticed that Anders Nilsson was in net last night for the Isles. So I'm going to give all the other teams a tip.

Put your backup goalie in net against the Sens and we won't be able to score more than one goal, it's fail-safe.

Nevermind the bloated contracts of Pujols and Hamilton. Nevermind the horrawful bullpen the team failed to redesign during the offseason. Nevermind the easy TV viewing rights the team has for its fans. Nevermind the wasteland which is their farm system. Nevermind Scioscia-ball being an expired product with the likes of today's Texas and Oakland teams.

There is also that baseball is just returning so there would be bigger interest then normal and Edmonton isn't exactly an attractive opponent.(though they should still be doing better with attendance with the team they have)

The Oilers have usually been pretty good against the Ducks, though, so they ARE an attractive opponent.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The Oilers have usually been pretty good against the Ducks, though, so they ARE an attractive opponent.
Are you sure? On Sportsnet last night after the game they said the Ducks were something like 17-2-1 against the Oilers in the past couple years.

IbjBaeE.png

Well, that worked.

Yes, let's compare a 59-point team led in scoring by Tyler Freaking Arnason and run by an actively-despised owner to one with over 100 points in the standings, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, and Jonas Hiller. Those two squads seem equal.

And also, I'm starting to think Sodboy literally gets off MOD EDIT on criticizing Southern teams' attendance numbers. He comments about this :censored: more than he comments about the things happening on the ice, and it's ridiculous.

My Atlanta Thrashers fandom from 2001-11 says otherwise. Also, I probably haven't posted about it here, but I have railed against how embarrassing it was for the Blues to have as many empty seats as they did, especially early in the season (it took the Hawks visiting for them to get their first sellout of the year). I've also been angry about Dallas not turning out for one of the most fun to watch teams in the entire league this season, and have expressed concern about Columbus still failing to draw despite becoming competitive, and have wondered whether that decade of misery out of the gate has broken the market beyond repair. For more insights like these, you should follow me on Twitter! #brand

Yes, our fanbase is smaller and tickets are cheaper, but hey, I get to see a lot more live NHL hockey than you!

Your tickets are cheaper than Coyotes tickets. No, seriously. I checked SeatGeek Monday night, and tickets to the 4 remaining Ducks home games could be had for $36 less than tickets to the 4 remaining Coyotes home games. $21 gets you in to see the Ducks and Sharks potentially play for the division title next Wednesday. $9 got you in to last night's Oilers game. That's sub-AHL pricing for what is, once again, one of the best teams in the league playing at home. The Ducks should be an increasingly hot ticket, but people would rather go see the Halos and Mariners set the tone early to see who will finish 3rd in the AL West?

And just like when you brought it up on Twitter on Monday against the Jets, it was a sellout tonight. I was in my seat before puck drop. Did it take a little while to fill in? Yes. But the crowd filled up and it was no different than any other night. And actually, there was one of the longest lines I've seen for walk-up tickets at the box office.

It's nice that they call it a sellout. Listen, I can call my dick "The Louisville Slugger", but that still doesn't change what you'll see when I drop my pants. There was an abundance of empty seats Monday night from opening puck drop to overtime winner. It was a better crowd last night, and yes, it filled a bit as the game went on, but there were still plenty of visible blocks of maroon in the stands.

Blame it on Angels opening day. Blame it on a bad traffic junction (just like Coyotes fans used to blame construction on the 101, and hey, it doesn't seem to stop Angels fans from showing up an exit down the highway). Blame it on geographical bias. Blame it on whatever you want, but when a fanbase can't be bothered to fill its venue to watch its team be one of the best in the league, that fanbase is going to earn some derision, just like Atlanta baseball fans in the '90s.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, that worked.

Yes, let's compare a 59-point team led in scoring by Tyler Freaking Arnason and run by an actively-despised owner to one with over 100 points in the standings, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, and Jonas Hiller. Those two squads seem equal.

No, you're mixed up. He's not comparing them to the Ducks at all, he was responding to monkeypower's statement that teams will either always sellout, or always have bad attendance. The Six brought up the Hawks as an example of a team that has gone through periods of both strong and poor attendance.

Well, that worked.

No, you're mixed up. He's not comparing them to the Ducks at all, he was responding to monkeypower's statement that teams will either always sellout, or always have bad attendance. The Six brought up the Hawks as an example of a team that has gone through periods of both strong and poor attendance.

I wasn't saying that teams will always sellout or have bad attendance, I was trying to say that some places/teams have it easier to attract more fans.

IbjBaeE.png

Look Sodboy, I don't know what else to tell you, but you're wrong. Seeing the crowd on TV versus seeing the crowd in person is a big difference.

And you decided to take this up over the last two games, two games against bottom of the standings Western Canadian teams on week nights opposite of the Angels opening series. You look at any of the games over the last three months, you'll see that's not the trend. You can take it as an excuse, but there's simply more baseball than hockey fans here. It's an unfortunate fact. But I think any sort of delusional Angels optimism was quickly doused in those three games.

People will be there Friday vs Nashville. People will definitely be there next Wednesday against San Jose. People will most definitely be there for Teemu's regular season finale against Colorado.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived