2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

I'm guessing I just don't get how this is a big deal? Two guys died, one of them for sure I know was a huge Bruins fan - the Bruins honored them. Oh my gosh, Boston just crapped on hockey. Give me a break.

Right, the Bruins did a very nice job honoring them in the pre game and all that. Very good. I think we're all fine with that. But putting the Boston Fire Department as the First Star of the game is a little much, don't you think?

As someone who couldn't care less about the Three Stars, no. I guess if you value it and/or take it seriously, then sure, it's a little much. It's not like they gave the first star to the guy selling shirts with bad hockey puns on Causeway Street.

He had just as much to do with the Bruins winning as the fire department did.

Do you actually not see the difference?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing I just don't get how this is a big deal? Two guys died, one of them for sure I know was a huge Bruins fan - the Bruins honored them. Oh my gosh, Boston just crapped on hockey. Give me a break.

Right, the Bruins did a very nice job honoring them in the pre game and all that. Very good. I think we're all fine with that. But putting the Boston Fire Department as the First Star of the game is a little much, don't you think?

As someone who couldn't care less about the Three Stars, no. I guess if you value it and/or take it seriously, then sure, it's a little much. It's not like they gave the first star to the guy selling shirts with bad hockey puns on Causeway Street.

I think it has more to do with the fact that with out the fire department protecting boston many of them might not be there, the 2 fire fighters that died brought some much needed awareness to their sacrafise and the bruins decided to honor them by giving them a star. It's not that big of a deal to me, compared to some of you that are viewing this as a travesty.

No one called it a travesty, Cap'n Strawman. I said it was overly sentimental. It's like if a senior in high school dies and they name him valedictorian. Okay, but then everyone knows who the actual kid is who finished first. Same principle here. The most important player was Bergeron, and additionally, it's sad when people die saving others' lives. I mean, maybe it's reducing to absurdity, but why not name a freshly dead soldier from the area for every night's first star of the game?

And one year later, I'll stand by my extreme discomfort with the Boston Strong thing. I don't care what anyone says.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can understand the POV being projected here. It's a gratuitous honor even if the intention is noble and honest. I know a couple years back when a couple of cops were shot and killed while trying to make an arrest in St. Petersburg there were the customary (and always acceptable) methods of honoring them (moment of silence, flags half-staff, etc.) but I'd wager a safe amount the Lightning sports writers didn't name them the first star at the next Tampa home game.

I mean, if they want to, then fine, whatever, who am I to get in the way of what local sports writers decide to do with the Three Stars. From my observations alone which, admittedly, are much more baseball based than hockey based, the Boston sports media tends to be very different from other local sports medias. Take that as a positive or negative as you see fit.

Boston Strong, well, that's probably something that only Bostonians would really be able to properly capture and illustrate their emotions about. It's hard to know what it's like for a prestigious and historical event in your city to be used for terror until that actually happens. That said, whenever I read anything about Boston Strong now (in the vein of "the Patriots reach the AFC-CG for the third straight season and [whatever numbered time in the last whatever numbered years]. #BostonStrong indeed), well, that kind of crap can just be pissed up a rope. That has nothing to do with Boston Strong.

spacer.png

I see the difference, but I still think what the Bruins did was silly. Honour the fallen, yes. Start paying them dues that, as sentimental as the moment might be, are ridiculous? Yeah...at that point you're overly sappy at best and tugging at your audience's heart strings for your own gain at worst.

I can understand the POV being projected here. It's a gratuitous honor even if the intention is noble and honest. I know a couple years back when a couple of cops were shot and killed while trying to make an arrest in St. Petersburg there were the customary (and always acceptable) methods of honoring them (moment of silence, flags half-staff, etc.) but I'd wager a safe amount the Lightning sports writers didn't name them the first star at the next Tampa home game.

I mean, if they want to, then fine, whatever, who am I to get in the way of what local sports writers decide to do with the Three Stars. From my observations alone which, admittedly, are much more baseball based than hockey based, the Boston sports media tends to be very different from other local sports medias. Take that as a positive or negative as you see fit.

Boston Strong, well, that's probably something that only Bostonians would really be able to properly capture and illustrate their emotions about. It's hard to know what it's like for a prestigious and historical event in your city to be used for terror until that actually happens. That said, whenever I read anything about Boston Strong now (in the vein of "the Patriots reach the AFC-CG for the third straight season and [whatever numbered time in the last whatever numbered years]. #BostonStrong indeed), well, that kind of crap can just be pissed up a rope. That has nothing to do with Boston Strong.

I can agree with this for the most part. Boston Strong has strayed from what it originally meant and is now the battle cry of New England. Patriots vs Jets? Go get 'em! Boston Strong! Yeah, that's ridiculous. So are the scum bags who don't donate all profits to The One Fund and donate 1% or 5%. Without going into unnecessary detail, at the time and the months following it had a deep meaning that resonated with the community.

I see the difference, but I still think what the Bruins did was silly. Honour the fallen, yes. Start paying them dues that, as sentimental as the moment might be, are ridiculous? Yeah...at that point you're overly sappy at best and tugging at your audience's heart strings for your own gain at worst.

What did the Bruins organization gain from this? They have nothing to gain. It's not like they're struggling and need some attention to garner support. The Bruins players are such a big part of this community their PR really can't get much better. This little token of respect to the BFD didn't raise their profile, didn't garner any monetary value, it really did nothing for the Bruins organization.

Of course, I see the difference. I'm just pointing out that it was a little much.

And I guess my other question is, what happens if the Bruins lost? Would the Boston Fire Department still be the First Star? Really helped the Bruins get shellacked out there!

The tribute in the pregame, or any tribute during the game, and them wearing Boston FD/PD gear are all well and good. Very nice gestures as a part of the community. And like you just said speedy, they're such a big part of the community and all that that they had nothing to gain by doing it. But they also had nothing to lose if they didn't. If the BFD wasn't a star of the game, nobody would have thought less of the Bruins. It's just a little over the top.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What did the Bruins organization gain from this? They have nothing to gain. It's not like they're struggling and need some attention to garner support. The Bruins players are such a big part of this community their PR really can't get much better. This little token of respect to the BFD didn't raise their profile, didn't garner any monetary value, it really did nothing for the Bruins organization.

What could they gain? Good PR. I'll take your word for their PR being very good at the moment, but anyone in public relations will tell you that you can never have enough good press. Besides, I said "at that point you're overly sappy at best and tugging at your audience's heart strings for your own gain at worst." So if they're not doing the latter that leaves the former. Not insidious or even cynical, but still very silly and worthy of a few sets of rolled eyes.

As for the bolded text? I don't think anyone here is saying they have a problem with the Bruins showing respect to the BFD. What they're saying is that such a token of respect could have been limited to a pre-game ceremony. The first start of the game thing was just silly.

To be fair, the Bruins themselves didn't name the fire department the first star. It would have been the people in the press box. Still, it's something more befitting St. Louis baseball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree that while done with good intentions, it is a bit of a gimmick. That said, it's only the Three Stars, which would otherwise get no more recognition than a small square by the box score, so I don't really mind it.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Has anyone heard of an "honorary" type star like this before? No, I don't mean the Emery thing. I thought that some bonus clauses were based on the number of "stars" a player got. I thought that the writers kept thing pretty straight-laced.

I really hope this doesn't catch on. Next, it'll be 1st star Police, 2nd star Fire Department, 3rd star EMTs. Then some team will end every game with, "And tonight's first star of the game... the fans! That's right! You fans made tonight's win possible! Thank you for supporting your Arizona Coyotes!"

GOOD JOKE DUCKS. APRIL FOOLS. HA HA HA. YOU CAN START PLAYING NOW...

The playoffs are going to suck. This isn't going to be fun.

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK! WE'VE BEEN HERE since the beginning of the 3rd period.

Thank you, Winnipeg. You beautiful sons of bitches.

Archived