2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone so pessimistic about their hockey team? They're either the worst team in the league or "not going to be lasting long in the playoffs". Even when they win a game, those still find many faults in the game.....as if style of winning means something.

Would you prefer the alternative....not having a team to cheer for?

Edmonton condemns Phoenix to a losing record with a comeback victory and shootout in the desert. Edmonton, despite their hideous organization and hilariously awful on-ice play, still had a huge contingent at the Jobber Dome. Yikes.

With that losing record confirmed, I (we, whatever) can only hope that awful team doesn't squeeze their way into the playoffs. I get hung up on this stuff too much, I know, I can't help it. There's a whole crap-load of justifying I have to do with myself to be ok with that 2012 LA Kings championship team.

Sharks can jump back atop the Pacific with a win tomorrow. No reason they shouldn't.

spacer.png

Why is everyone so pessimistic about their hockey team? They're either the worst team in the league or "not going to be lasting long in the playoffs". Even when they win a game, those still find many faults in the game.....as if style of winning means something.

I don't really care about style so much as, well, actually winning. This "Leafs choke away the season" thing is getting old.

No, but do we always have to look at worst case scenarios?

"Oh, you're fat, ugly, and unemployed. BUT HEY, at least you don't have cancer!"

With that losing record confirmed, I (we, whatever) can only hope that awful team doesn't squeeze their way into the playoffs. I get hung up on this stuff too much, I know, I can't help it. There's a whole crap-load of justifying I have to do with myself to be ok with that 2012 LA Kings championship team.

I hope my bias doesn't show too much, but the Kings were a much better team than 40-42. I don't think it was as much "dogging it then getting hot at the right time" as it was "a good team finally playing like they should."

That, being the second-best defensive team in the regular season, and a 16-4 playoff record convince me that they were no 2010 Seahawks or 2006 Cardinals.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

it isn't, in fact that's one of my ways of it. They were well over .500 after adding Carter and they've been well above .500 the last two years as well. If they had Carter from the start of that season, they would probably have a record more representative like that of this season than what they ultimately had. They got off to a really middling start under Terry Murray, lost a :censored: ton of OT/SO games, and this was the case with their season-ending home-and-home with San Jose. Who knows what happens if Ryane Clowe doesn't get away with the most obvious on-ice cheating display in recent memory. And, in the end, LA's overall record was 56-46 that season, which certainly isn't some lousy record, all things considered.

It wasn't like the 1991 North Stars making the SCF with a 27-39 record (plus ties) or something.

spacer.png

Winning does not equal playing well. Sometimes it actually hurts a team and fools them into thinking there are no flaws in their game. Then they get to the playoffs and are humiliated by the Flyers or Bruins....

....wait, this sounds familiar.

oBIgzrL.png

I hate sports.

I'm just done with them. Nothing good comes out of it and they're a waste of time energy and money.

I've picked up some other hobbies over the last couple of years and I've decided to commit myself to those.

When the isles get me down, which is every season for the last 15+ years, I just go on a Dr. Who binge watching session.

Stayed up and knocked out season three of Bob's Burgers on netflix and then the last two episodes of Community. I was up pretty late.

It would be nice of the Islanders to drop a couple points our way tomorrow.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Winning does not equal playing well. Sometimes it actually hurts a team and fools them into thinking there are no flaws in their game. Then they get to the playoffs and are humiliated by the Flyers or Bruins....

The other guys are getting paid to play/coach hockey, too. All that matters is getting the win, not how you look in getting the win. Win 10-0 or win 5-4 after trailing 4-0...both count the same. And all that matters in the playoffs is getting 16 wins, no matter how ugly or pretty they are.

I'm getting convinced that many of you are starting to subscribe to the Lights Out/CS85 pessimistic "woe is me, my team will never win" attitude towards your teams, like you're looking for some sympathy from the masses. Don't understand that. It's not that serious. What are you trying to gain when you post "This team won't last very long in the playoffs."? You think people really want to see these types of posts?

I don't get all the negativity about the team you root for in this thread. The only one I can really understand is Toronto, because, well, we all know where they were, and where they stand now.

I'm ecstatic about the Avalanche this season. The only time I'm pessimistic about them is when they play St Louis, because they've been handled pretty well by the Blues this season. I've said that I hope the Avs don't have to play St Louis in the playoffs because I honestly believe that's the only team that would assuredly handle them.

I really do believe the Avalanche have a great shot at the Stanley Cup this year, and after the past eight seasons or so, that feeling hasn't really been there more than a few weeks into the season, or when they did make the playoffs, going into the playoffs.

Whether they win it all or not, I will be very proud of them after this incredible, unexpected season. The future of the Avs looks incredibly bright as well, so I don't have much to be pessimistic about.

I don't get all the negativity about the team you root for in this thread. The only one I can really understand is Toronto, because, well, we all know where they were, and where they stand now.

I'm ecstatic about the Avalanche this season. The only time I'm pessimistic about them is when they play St Louis, because they've been handled pretty well by the Blues this season. I've said that I hope the Avs don't have to play St Louis in the playoffs because I honestly believe that's the only team that would assuredly handle them.

I really do believe the Avalanche have a great shot at the Stanley Cup this year, and after the past eight seasons or so, that feeling hasn't really been there more than a few weeks into the season, or when they did make the playoffs, going into the playoffs.

Whether they win it all or not, I will be very proud of them after this incredible, unexpected season. The future of the Avs looks incredibly bright as well, so I don't have much to be pessimistic about.

For me personally, the Flyers are my favorite team in all sports. So when they are in a slump I am going to be more disappointed than I would when any of my other favorite teams are slumping. Plus, they Flyers like the Leafs have not won in a long time so I kinda expect them to choke at some point. That's where I can understand the negativity.

Or the Blackhawks.

*slams head onto desk repeatedly until bleeding occurs*

Or the Blackhawks.

You won the Stanley Cup in 2012.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Or the Blackhawks.

Oh stop.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Can we make a blanket rule that if you're team is in a playoff spot or looks like a lock for the post-season, that us lesser teams would appreciate it if you refrained your b*tching about your team to one or two sentences at most?

I felt bad for the Blue Jackets heartwrenching loss yesterday. Puck gets pushed in through traffic with 2 seconds left, and they lose in regulation when they're clinging for that last playoff spot. That team can never catch a break, can it?

My hat goes off to all the Ohio members here who keep supporting their team through these neverending tough end-of-seasons. I'm also rooting for the Jackets.

Archived