2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hat goes off to all the Ohio members here who keep supporting their team through these never-ending tough end-of-seasons.

Between Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland, the combined pro teams from Ohio leaves its fans in a state of mental numbness more often than any other pro-sport state in America.

It's unfathomable. For every team you want to pull-out a winner but comes up short at the end (Blue Jackets), there's another full of opportunists who you hate to see win but somehow come out on top most often (Red Wings), sometimes because of said team perfectly-gaming the flaws of the sport and its structure (NHL's loser-point/shoot-out system).

My hat goes off to all the Ohio members here who keep supporting their team through these never-ending tough end-of-seasons.

Between Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland, the combined pro teams from Ohio leaves its fans in a state of mental numbness more often than any other pro-sport state in America.

It's unfathomable. For every team you want to pull-out a winner but comes up short at the end (Blue Jackets), there's another full of opportunists who you hate to see win but somehow come out on top most often (Red Wings), sometimes because of said team perfectly-gaming the flaws of the sport and its structure (NHL's loser-point/shoot-out system).

I'm sure the good people of Ohio appreciate your continued attempts to belittle their teams' efforts.

Fact is Blue Jackets fans deserve better. The Leafs are the Leafs so they could suck for another fifty years and still sell out every night, but the Blue Jackets are still trying to build the fanbase. Trying, improving, and still falling short isn't going to win very many new fans over and will only dishearten the fans who've stuck with them. You could see a very promising, if underrated, fanbase cannibalized because the Red Wings just have to Red Wing.

I don't get all the negativity about the team you root for in this thread. The only one I can really understand is Toronto, because, well, we all know where they were, and where they stand now.

I'm ecstatic about the Avalanche this season. The only time I'm pessimistic about them is when they play St Louis, because they've been handled pretty well by the Blues this season. I've said that I hope the Avs don't have to play St Louis in the playoffs because I honestly believe that's the only team that would assuredly handle them.

I really do believe the Avalanche have a great shot at the Stanley Cup this year, and after the past eight seasons or so, that feeling hasn't really been there more than a few weeks into the season, or when they did make the playoffs, going into the playoffs.

Whether they win it all or not, I will be very proud of them after this incredible, unexpected season. The future of the Avs looks incredibly bright as well, so I don't have much to be pessimistic about.

Well, for me I tend to post my feelings right after the game. if it seem like I'm negative - it's most likely because I expect the team I root/cheer for to put forth their best effort every game. I'm harsh on them, because I want them to win and succeed. When I can see the team, in this case the Sharks not put their best effort from watching on TV, it's disappointing. A great example of this was the game vs the Oilers. Yes, the Sharks came out with the win, but they had a 3-1 lead and made a few menials errors and found themselves down 4-3 in the third. Part of the credit goes to the Oilers for adjusting and confusing the Sharks. Just because the Sharks won, doesn't mean I nor the team (per the post game interviews) were happy with their play. A positive example is the Sharks vs Kings. The Sharks and Kings both worked hard and it was a hard fought game. The Sharks came out with the W.

However, what worries me is the inconsistency of the Sharks. Year after year going into the playoffs they've been inconsistent and it's lead to an early exit in one case or another. I'll never waiver from being a Sharks fan, but when they have the talent to go all the way, it's frustrating and unacceptable to not give a full effort each and every game. That's just my take on it.

Stop it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

tf1oL5E.gif

Well, that sums it up nicely.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hawks derped away that late tie with the Blues early in the year, had to get it back. No foolin', though: after I fist-pumped and yelped out a weird spur-of-the-moment thing that sounded like "yeah!", I hung my head and muttered to myself, "ah geez, poor McCarthy."

Chicago East big-time at that game, though, yeesh. No wonder they begged off doing three of those a year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

well, the Leafs let them off the hook for that because they lost their final home game of the regular season to the already-eliminated 'Peggers. Gee freaking whiz. There better not be some Devils getting in the playoffs when it's all said and done; keep them out.

Dallas beat Tampa tonight (but TB isn't the focus for once here) so they move back a point up on the 'Yotes with a game in hand. Seguin and Benn need to be in the playoffs, the desert dogs do not. I do not like being part of this sacrifice, not to mention that the Lightning are almost certainly not condemned to being on the road against the Habs when that series begins, but if things ultimately work out I will begrudgingly accept what has happened here.

spacer.png

Random question...who will be considered division champions? Regular season winner or the four teams left after the 2nd round. It's going to be weird if it's the latter. If Minnesota won two playoff series would they raise a Pacific Division championship banner?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

This Senators team is an enigma: Winning against good teams, floundering against bad teams, never being able to hold a lead but always willing to come back from a deficit.

As disappointing and frustrating as this season turned out to be, it was interesting at least, sometimes even fun when the going got good. We got to see players such as Stone and Hoffman really break into the NHL, coupled with a breakout year by Turris, and arguably we built a top class top 6 (but with Stone replacing Ryan it only seemed to get better)

I'm writing this as my official farewell of my hope for the Sens making the playoffs, something that really hit me after the loss to the Islanders. I'll be back watching hockey with purpose in 10 days when I'll find a team for the playoffs using the least bandwagon-esque method possible.

The next Sens season will be a great one, mark my words. We'll see what an actually healthy Karlsson can do.

Well, it's gonna be Kings-Sharks again in the playoffs.

I don't know, it's time for some Shark Tank magic. Sharks have not won a game this season when trailing by three goals - perfect time to make the first 3+ goal comeback tonight. :)

Random question...who will be considered division champions? Regular season winner or the four teams left after the 2nd round. It's going to be weird if it's the latter. If Minnesota won two playoff series would they raise a Pacific Division championship banner?

Regular Season winner.

I don't know, it's time for some Shark Tank magic. Sharks have not won a game this season when trailing by three goals - perfect time to make the first 3+ goal comeback tonight. :)

Never mind.

Well at least the Sharks lost to the Preds too.

Ducks up a point with two games in hand and a magic number of 5. Those two games in hand will be played over the next two days in Edmonton and Vancouver. Very possible (assuming the Ducks don't flop again) that the Ducks can clinch the Pacific over the Sharks on Wednesday.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Never mind.

Sports never works out that way. What did you think?

Never mind.
Sports never works out that way. What did you think?
because sports can and do work like that?

I hate sports.

I'm just done with them. Nothing good comes out of it and they're a waste of time energy and money.

I've picked up some other hobbies over the last couple of years and I've decided to commit myself to those.

When the isles get me down, which is every season for the last 15+ years, I just go on a Dr. Who binge watching session.

I like the way you think, sir...

Oh Christopher Eccleston, will you be the wind beneath my wings?

Fanastic!

I still need to catch up on finishing the 9th doctor/Eccleston episodes, I just polished off the David Tennant seasons and midway through the Matt Smith episodes. I'm kinda conflicted on who I like better. Smith is growing on me. Each have styles I like.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Eccleston's my favourite Doctor. He was also my first Doctor though...

Smith and Tenant are both good, but if I had to pick I'd go with Smith. I just really dug the more fantasy-esque stories they paired him with, even if they could get overly sappy at times.

Well the Leafs are done.

Now I have to worry about the New Jersey Devils who have a fairly easy schedule in their last four games.

Blue Jackets have to win today and truth be told if they can't squeeze 3 wins out of Islanders, Coyotes, Stars, Lightning, and Panthers then they don't deserve to be a playoff team. I can envision them going on a run and catching the Flyers and I can also envision them totally collapsing and missing out altogether.

If they miss the playoffs by one point those three seconds against Chicago will bother me forever. So, my sanity is at sake here, folks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived