2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

Just thinking further about the shorts...this could get really weird for the US.

Unless they debut an alternate third set of shorts, they do not have the option of white shirt and blue shorts (first time I cannot recall that option). Furthermore, the white shirt and red shorts combo (which would look stupid from the get go and I hope is never seen!!) would combine a fully colored crest on the shirt with a tonal red crest on the shorts. The same could be said about switching up the away look with white shorts (just in reverse).

Basically they would need two variations of each short to properly match the selected shirt to allow the crests to align since they have competing styles.

This doesn't necessarily mean they would do that...Germany did go with a black top with gold stripes and black shorts with white stripes when they mixed and matched their home and away combos last WC.

These minute details really bug me when not properly addressed. I would have just gone fully colored crests on all garments to avoid this matter.

Here is the Germany example. The black shirt was designed with white shorts in mind and those shorts come from the home kit.

Argentina+v+Germany+2010+FIFA+World+Cup+

One last thing...a third pair of shorts isn't out of the question. In the 2010 qualifying cycle when we had the gray away kit we had navy shorts to go with the home shirt. We also had gray shorts to go with the away shirt. The third shorts were white to go with either shirt.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thinking further about the shorts...this could get really weird for the US.

Unless they debut an alternate third set of shorts, they do not have the option of white shirt and blue shorts (first time I cannot recall that option). Furthermore, the white shirt and red shorts combo (which would look stupid from the get go and I hope is never seen!!) would combine a fully colored crest on the shirt with a tonal red crest on the shorts. The same could be said about switching up the away look with white shorts (just in reverse).

Basically they would need two variations of each short to properly match the selected shirt to allow the crests to align since they have competing styles.

This doesn't necessarily mean they would do that...Germany did go with a black top with gold stripes and black shorts with white stripes when they mixed and matched their home and away combos last WC.

These minute details really bug me when not properly addressed. I would have just gone fully colored crests on all garments to avoid this matter.

Here is the Germany example. The black shirt was designed with white shorts in mind and those shorts come from the home kit.Argentina+v+Germany+2010+FIFA+World+Cup+

One last thing...a third pair of shorts isn't out of the question. In the 2010 qualifying cycle when we had the gray away kit we had navy shorts to go with the home shirt. We also had gray shorts to go with the away shirt. The third shorts were white to go with either shirt.

Excellent research on this post. I too hate when clubs and national FAs leave everything to the last minute to decide especially with kit conflicts. I doubt US Soccer will fix this prior to the World Cup and they will plead ignorance.

I don't think USA has ever worn red shorts. I wonder how they would look with the white tops.

The denim jerseys at the 1994 World Cup were worn with red shorts.

228023.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think blue shorts are in the cards for this world cup kit cycle. I see white shorts for the home kit and red shorts for the clash kit. I can see US Soccer going away from blue and red being more dominant.

So you think they are going to only have 1 pair of shorts for each shirt option for 2 whole years? Seems unlikely to me.

I don't think blue shorts are in the cards for this world cup kit cycle. I see white shorts for the home kit and red shorts for the clash kit. I can see US Soccer going away from blue and red being more dominant.

So you think they are going to only have 1 pair of shorts for each shirt option for 2 whole years? Seems unlikely to me.

Does seem unlikely to me...US Soccer have done stranger things :P They might release a second short per shirt after the World Cup but white and red are the colors for the summer.

Does seem unlikely to me...US Soccer have done stranger things :P They might release a second short per shirt after the World Cup but white and red are the colors for the summer.

I didn't say anything about this summer. I specifically mentioned the 2 year cycle. I'm trying to think of a Nike kit that the US has worn that didn't have 2 short options. Heck, even our home-only centennial kit had 2 short options.

Well, at least the USA got some navy numbers in this game. :P

Love the armed police officers next to locker rooms at the players enter the field...so Brazil! It looks good but is the game system engine based on FIFA14? Lets hope so because EURO2012 game was :censored:

Something else to keep in mind is that they often introduce the third shorts for game use but never make them available to retail. That was the deal with the white centennial shorts as well as the gray away shorts in 2008. They will sell the primary home and away shorts only. Hopefully they have a blue option though it will admittedly look strange to see us in royal blue. I don't mind the new color as trim or used in small doses but as the color of an entire garment it will be awkward.

Yea but if both uniforms are monochrome, will they ever need to change? I feel like if there is a clash, teams usually change TO a monochrome look, as opposed to AWAY from a monochrome look. I could be wrong though..

Agreed. Unless you have a team that wears red, white, red for example. What would the US wear vs. them. Some officials would let them wear white shorts. Others might not.

Well most officials would let them wear white shorts if that's the only other color they have. Each FA has to submit their kit colors for shirt, shorts and socks prior to the World Cup so that if there any conflicts they can be resolved prior to the start of the tournament. There must be any conflicts because Nike and US Soccer released the kits to the public.

Yea but if both uniforms are monochrome, will they ever need to change? I feel like if there is a clash, teams usually change TO a monochrome look, as opposed to AWAY from a monochrome look. I could be wrong though...

When the US went on the road to France (who wore their usual blue/white/red) we had to go with our traditional white/blue/white. France wasn't in monochrome but their white shorts made us go to colored shorts.

Steve-Cherundolo-USA-socc-007.jpg

Yea but if both uniforms are monochrome, will they ever need to change? I feel like if there is a clash, teams usually change TO a monochrome look, as opposed to AWAY from a monochrome look. I could be wrong though...

When the US went on the road to France (who wore their usual blue/white/red) we had to go with our traditional white/blue/white. France wasn't in monochrome but their white shorts made us go to colored shorts.

Steve-Cherundolo-USA-socc-007.jpg

Good catch. I guess we will eventually see what they do. I know for the last work cup, Netherlands had black, orange, and blue shorts. So it is possible to have 3 shorts.

It can look really bad when you mismatch home/away shorts though, like Argentina last WC (no idea why they wouldn't wear their normal black shorts in this match up)

Argentina-World-Cup-Football-Mexico-Mess

I guess it was because their home socks were white and it would've looked even worse with black shorts and royal blue socks (which they had to wear in this game cause Mexico decided to wear white socks for this WC).

What bugs me more is why the German team wore their black shorts against Argentina. Why don't just wear the regular white ones?

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Well most officials would let them wear white shorts if that's the only other color they have. Each FA has to submit their kit colors for shirt, shorts and socks prior to the World Cup so that if there any conflicts they can be resolved prior to the start of the tournament. There must be any conflicts because Nike and US Soccer released the kits to the public.

Like has already been mentioned, US soccer released the centennial kits to the public (with navy shorts only) even though they needed, and used, white shorts with it as well.

Archived